• Apr 21st, 2021 5:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1083 posts
553 upvotes
GTA

[Costco] Costco.ca: Ooni Koda 12" Pizza Oven $449.99

- Propane Oven Heats to 500°C and cooks authentic restaurant quality pizza in just 60 seconds
- Portable weight of under 10kg, bring it with you wherever and whenever you want to cook outdoors

Costco has finally added the Ooni Koda to their site. I've been checking the last few days to see what the price would end up being and at $449 it's the best price online and even better as they are including a steel pizza peel as well. According to the magazine it should also end up in warehouses. Even Ooni has trouble stocking these, so it might end up like the Northrocks and be hard to find in the warehouse so I'll hedge my bets with an online order and if I can get it cheaper in the warehouse later, I'll do so.

I've been tracking the Ooni since this time last year when they were $399. But they were selling faster then they could make them and quickly went up to $459+. I almost bought one on Black Friday from the US site which was a fantastic price but after all the importing and conversion with a border crossing service, there wasn't much of a difference for the hassle. More so with the shipping date pushed to Feb 2021 at that point. This is a far better deal with the peel and only a month later in delivery

The pizza peel is a necessity with these to turn the pizza as it cooks so that's a great bonus, one you most certainly would have bought anyways. And if the pizza burns too much and you can't solve the problem, it's backed by the Costco return warranty. I'm realizing now it's not a turning peel as it appears to be the same size as the oven, but it should do to get you started.

Please post the location and price if you see it in the warehouse.

Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 2nd, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added price to title
280 replies
Oct 17, 2009
56 posts
47 upvotes
Great price, though I do find the Promo images Costco is using to be suspect. You do not want to use this thing inside
Aug 27, 2017
204 posts
98 upvotes
Ugh... I've been struggling with which to get. I like the Koda for how its aesthetics, but I don't like how the flame is really concentrated on two sides. I also don't like how I can't choose my fuel source and am forced to adhere to gas.

I like what I've seen from the Bertello, personally, but I'm torn...
Aug 27, 2017
204 posts
98 upvotes
Upset Canadian wrote: Great price, though I do find the Promo images Costco is using to be suspect. You do not want to use this thing inside
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to use it indoors if it's far from walls and all?
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
6684 posts
2488 upvotes
GTA
Upset Canadian wrote: Great price, though I do find the Promo images Costco is using to be suspect. You do not want to use this thing inside
suspicious, not suspect.

I suppose you can use it "inside" if its in a semi enclosed porch or patio but otherwise with a tank it would be not a good idea for sure (for indoor use).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1083 posts
553 upvotes
GTA
pistolpetejr wrote: I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to use it indoors if it's far from walls and all?
Same reason you shouldn't use a propane heater inside. The silent killer...Carbon monoxide. Granted an hour of use probably won't kill you. But likely to set your alarms off.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3199 posts
898 upvotes
Mississauga
says that it's back-ordered and is expected to ship between 03/29/2021 and 04/04/2021. Good deal with the peel for launching, but you also will likely need a smaller peel for turning frequently otherwise you'll be charring these pretty bad. Not sure if the regular peel can be used to turn, but maybe users that have this model can confirm that.

Too bad they are not offering the 16" model. I'd be all over that.

Upvoted for flagging this hard to get item. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1005 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
I use my Weber gas BBQ to make delicious pizza on a stone. I guess I don’t need this unless I want to make pizza in the woods .... lol
Jun 4, 2011
370 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
I own one of these, Though I think I actually paid less than this for it last year without the peel of course.

Overall it is alright, not fantastic but it does work. It is very much designed to make a more-so Neapolitan style pizza but I find it is a little too one sided, balancing the proper temperature is quite difficult in this oven and you need to rotate the pizza every 15 seconds to ensure it doesn't burn. It is pretty tight for space as well so it can be difficult to not hit the back and risk burning. Personally I think it would be worth it to spring for the larger 16 inch version if you really want to get into making your own pizza.

If you want to do a more common new york style pizza, I find even with it turned down quite a lot is still runs a little too hot on the top and thus it somewhat overcooks on the top while undercooking on the bottom. Usually I have to do some temperature surfing, raising the temperature to preheat the stone and then turning it down to not burn the pizza, This is somewhat required for both styles of pizza and is by no means easy as it is imprecise control. I use an IR thermometer gun to try and get the stone temperature but nothing is too exact.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3199 posts
898 upvotes
Mississauga
pistolpetejr wrote: I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to use it indoors if it's far from walls and all?
it's an open flame with a lot of BTUs so I doubt you can use it indoors. If you really insist, I'd I have an extinguisher nearby and keep the windows open in case of leak.
Jun 4, 2011
370 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
gyggyg wrote: Think carefully if you’re really up for cooking pizza outdoors year round? Or would you be better off with a baking steel and using your oven so you can comfortably bake it in the comfort of your home.

For outdoor cooking, Webber grills also perform similarly at lower costs.

To me this is just a very steep price for something so limited. Might as well build a brick oven outdoors if you’re consigning yourself to that kind of lifestyle.
A baking steel really is quite different than this, this has the potential to bake a much more authentic Neapolitan style pizza, whereas a steel really works better for making NY style pizza. And the commitment to a thousand+ lb brick oven that takes up like 5x the amount of space is quite different. Though that will probably be the step I end up taking next from a Koda. Treat the Koda as a stepping stone to see if its really something one wants to do.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3199 posts
898 upvotes
Mississauga
Havox07 wrote: A baking steel really is quite different than this, this has the potential to bake a much more authentic Neapolitan style pizza, whereas a steel really works better for making NY style pizza. And the commitment to a thousand+ lb brick oven that takes up like 5x the amount of space is quite different. Though that will probably be the step I end up taking next from a Koda. Treat the Koda as a stepping stone to see if its really something one wants to do.
agree with this statement. This device is for people that are interested in getting serious about making a Neapolitan style pizza (or any pizza that requires temps in the 800f-900f range) without going all in on a brick oven or super expensive setup.

The thread should not de-volve into a debate about the merits of how good a pizza you can get using steel vs. your egg or bbq or conventional oven. This is not for that.
Nov 21, 2016
139 posts
111 upvotes
abbotsford
I’ve made pizzas that near neopolitan with a 3/8” baking steel and a very hot oven. I’m 100% sure the Ooni could do it better and be closer to the authentic thing all within 90 seconds... but It’s a question of how close you’re happy with being to the real thing. If you want to go all the way then sure, but if you’re happy with most of the way there then that’s a different story.

At the end of the day, you will also need to do adequate research and training of how to make a good dough and the technique of working with the peel. A lot of people ignore that and think the Ooni will singlehandedly produce an authentic neopolitan pie.

Like I said, I’ve heard Webber’s with the add-on open face pizza kit will reach the ultra hot temperatures necessary for authentic neopolitan pizzas. Except you have a grill too when you’re not making pizzas. It’s cheaper in total too.

I just wanted to give people food for thought- they shouldn’t impulse buy something like an Ooni. It’s a highly specialized product that deserves a highly committed person (if you care that much about making an authentic neopolitan pizza at home).... and if you don’t care that much then it’s not for you anyways.
Last edited by gyggyg on Mar 2nd, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3537 posts
316 upvotes
I picked up the Gozney Roccbox on their recent special, I wouldn’t consider the Ooni at this price compared to the Roccbox.

Initially I agonized between the Ooni 16” and Roccbox, only because the size difference but at the end of they day the Roccbox is so well built and insulated that you can touch the exterior without getting burnt and you will be cooking your napolitain style pizza in 60 seconds, the build quality is just incredible and that was enough for me.
Apr 5, 2010
76 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
I have been wanting one of these since last summer. $450 with a peel and the added peace of mind purchasing from Costco convinced me to go for it.

Thanks OP!
Jun 4, 2011
370 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto
gyggyg wrote: I’ve made pizzas that near neopolitan with a 3/8” baking steel and a very hot oven. I’m 100% sure the Ooni could do it better and be closer to the authentic thing all within 90 seconds... but It’s a question of how close you’re happy with being to the real thing. If you want to go all the way then sure, but if you’re happy with most of the way there then that’s a different story.

At the end of the day, you will also need to do adequate research and training of how to make a good dough and the technique of working with the peel. A lot of people ignore that and think the Ooni will singlehandedly produce an authentic neopolitan pie.

Like I said, I’ve heard Webber’s with the add-on open face pizza kit will reach the ultra hot temperatures necessary for authentic neopolitan pizzas. Except you have a grill too when you’re not making pizzas. It’s cheaper in total too.

I just wanted to give people food for thought- they shouldn’t impulse buy something like an Ooni. It’s a highly specialized product that deserves a highly committed person (if you care that much about making an authentic neopolitan pizza at home).... and if you don’t care that much then it’s not for you anyways.
I mean its true you can make something similar, but the Koda or other variants will get you closer. Really if you want to get into pizza, the best kinda transition is:

Buy a baking stone/baking steel (steel is better but usually is around $100 vs $20-$30.

Make some pizza, if you are enjoying it see if you really want to upgrade, a baking steel alone will make great NY style pizza and there really isn't a necessary upgrade path.

If you prefer a Neapolitan pizza and want to get closer to the real deal than a home oven and a stone/steel, either upgrade to a steel which will help with conduction or you can upgrade to one of these purpose built ovens for around $500.

End game is a traditional stone oven, either wood fired or there are some new ones with fancy natural gas burners, but these cost 4k+ for a natural gas version and probably 2kish minimum for a wood fired version. You could of course build it youself and save some money but it will probably still be about $1000 for the proper firebrick and materials. These are usually not portable at all especially home made versions, they will be a permanent fixture in your backyard.
Aug 27, 2017
204 posts
98 upvotes
theSPOOLER wrote: Same reason you shouldn't use a propane heater inside. The silent killer...Carbon monoxide. Granted an hour of use probably won't kill you. But likely to set your alarms off.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I'd use it in my garage with the door opened slightly though. That should be good right?

How does something like the Breville Pizzaiolo deal with that though?
Aug 27, 2017
204 posts
98 upvotes
Havox07 wrote: I own one of these, Though I think I actually paid less than this for it last year without the peel of course.

Overall it is alright, not fantastic but it does work. It is very much designed to make a more-so Neapolitan style pizza but I find it is a little too one sided, balancing the proper temperature is quite difficult in this oven and you need to rotate the pizza every 15 seconds to ensure it doesn't burn. It is pretty tight for space as well so it can be difficult to not hit the back and risk burning. Personally I think it would be worth it to spring for the larger 16 inch version if you really want to get into making your own pizza.

If you want to do a more common new york style pizza, I find even with it turned down quite a lot is still runs a little too hot on the top and thus it somewhat overcooks on the top while undercooking on the bottom. Usually I have to do some temperature surfing, raising the temperature to preheat the stone and then turning it down to not burn the pizza, This is somewhat required for both styles of pizza and is by no means easy as it is imprecise control. I use an IR thermometer gun to try and get the stone temperature but nothing is too exact.
This is one of my concerns, that the uneven heat source really isn't worth it. What would you suggest? I've been looking at the Bertello, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd even like to know more about the Breville Pizzaiolo for indoor-use.
Jun 15, 2017
80 posts
66 upvotes
I checked in store and the price should be $430. out stock in Quebec, but they should get them mid March
Jul 14, 2009
58 posts
59 upvotes
niagara falls
Kenji Lopez-Alt's pizza making process in the Koda 16. Worth a watch!

Last edited by Fries on Mar 2nd, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)