Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco.ca: Philips 3100 Series Espresso & Cappuccino Machine ($599)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2020 6:10 am
[OP]
Jan 18, 2007
68 posts
148 upvotes
Vaughan

[Costco] Costco.ca: Philips 3100 Series Espresso & Cappuccino Machine ($599)

I've personally owned this machine for the last 6 years.
I paid almost the same amount without the milk attachment.

This is the best automatic maker for people who enjoy drip coffee.
This machine is designed specifically for a coffee setting.
My favorite feature is that I can set custom sizes for coffee. Fill up my whole mug, or travel mug.

We use it 4-6 cups per day. Always consistent coffee.

Cost per cup of coffee is pennies. (compared to pods) and fresher.
Last edited by TomRFD on Dec 11th, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
26 replies
Aug 17, 2008
961 posts
506 upvotes
SASKATOON
I’ve been watching it for a while and said I’d buy it if it went on sale. I don’t know if my wallet can handle it though. How are the cappuccinos??
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2247 posts
1760 upvotes
Mississauga
Any idea how this compares with the Saeco branded machines? I've had a Saeco Minuto for a few years and I love it - this looks very similar and it's several hundred dollars cheaper.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1381 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
Is this considered the automatic machine? How good is it compare to breville 870 model?
Aug 17, 2008
961 posts
506 upvotes
SASKATOON
SkiLLz wrote: Any idea how this compares with the Saeco branded machines? I've had a Saeco Minuto for a few years and I love it - this looks very similar and it's several hundred dollars cheaper.
It is saeco I think, Phillips bought them?
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3205 posts
2988 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote: Any idea how this compares with the Saeco branded machines? I've had a Saeco Minuto for a few years and I love it - this looks very similar and it's several hundred dollars cheaper.
probably same factory since Saeco is owned by Philips now
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4937 posts
3934 upvotes
Edmonton
ysl5710 wrote: Is this considered the automatic machine? How good is it compare to breville 870 model?
Yes this is automatic. Breville semi-auto. Can't comment since I have not used this auto.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4937 posts
3934 upvotes
Edmonton
Mikeydob wrote: I've personally owned this machine for the last 6 years.
I paid almost the same amount without the milk attachment.

This is the best automatic maker for people who enjoy drip coffee.
This machine is designed specifically for a coffee setting.
My favorite feature is that I can set custom sizes for coffee. Fill up my whole mug, or travel mug.

We use it 4-6 cups per day. Always consistent coffee.

Cost per cup of coffee is pennies. (compared to pods) and fresher.
What makes this good for drip, given that this is an espresso machine? How is the espresso?
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
[OP]
Jan 18, 2007
68 posts
148 upvotes
Vaughan
its great for "drip" because the pressure is modified when lever is in the coffee setting.
It pumps it intermittently. All other super automatic machines do long espressos. If you like a real size mug of coffee
this is for you. I have the equivalent of a large tim's. Great balance.

I've used high end $2000 machines and still prefer this, primarily because I'm a coffee drinker.
I usually only use espresso setting when makes lattes/cappuccino.

If you're a espresso connoisseur, I can't really comment.
My guests always comment how great the lattes/caps are. I've had straight shots a handfull of time. Can't complain.

*Tip - if you get this machine, avoid oily beans. ie. don't use starbucks beans. Great other variety from costco.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2247 posts
1760 upvotes
Mississauga
pongster wrote: probably same factory since Saeco is owned by Philips now
Agreed that it's likely the same factory, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the differences between the Saeco branded ones vs. the Phillips branded ones (since the Phillips website lists both and they're at different price points).

Edit: Just looked into the site in more detail - they don't sell the minuto anymore so this is likely the replacement.
Last edited by SkiLLz on Dec 11th, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 18, 2007
259 posts
419 upvotes
Mikeydob wrote: its great for "drip" because the pressure is modified when lever is in the coffee setting.
It pumps it intermittently. All other super automatic machines do long espressos. If you like a real size mug of coffee
this is for you. I have the equivalent of a large tim's. Great balance.

I've used high end $2000 machines and still prefer this, primarily because I'm a coffee drinker.
I usually only use espresso setting when makes lattes/cappuccino.

If you're a espresso connoisseur, I can't really comment.
My guests always comment how great the lattes/caps are. I've had straight shots a handfull of time. Can't complain.

*Tip - if you get this machine, avoid oily beans. ie. don't use starbucks beans. Great other variety from costco.
Hi, as you own this machine can you help me decide? We currently have a Saeco but it doesn't have the milk carafe and this looks interesting.
1. As the water container is loaded from the top, do you find this problematic with spills, etc.?
2. How is the temperature for lattes/caps? Is it hot enough?
3. Is cleaning the milk carafe a chore?
May 18, 2007
259 posts
419 upvotes
ysl5710 wrote: Is this considered the automatic machine? How good is it compare to breville 870 model?
The breville (semi-auto) is more flexible/adjustable as you are preparing the shot but it is a lot more work and a hassle to clean each morning (and harder to get consistent shots). Super is just like a nespresso you press a button and you get a shot and you clean the machine once a week or so.
Aug 17, 2008
961 posts
506 upvotes
SASKATOON
Anybody order this and get it yet? Right out the box it is telling me to install drip tray but the drip tray is in there. Anyone else have this issue? Can’t get past this stupid prompt.

Edit:
Going back to Costco. Unit was DOA, called Philips and they don’t exchange units in Canada so you have to send it into their service Center and wait for a technician to repair it and send it back to you. What a POS.
[OP]
Jan 18, 2007
68 posts
148 upvotes
Vaughan
sorry for the late reply. mine doesn't have the milk carafe. Temperature is not an issue, there is adjustment setting.
I would imagine its good enough for the average drinker.
May 21, 2002
361 posts
65 upvotes
Got mine up and going last night. Ran a few cycles through it and I'm pretty happy with it.

Did a few cappuccino's and one came out luke warm but I believe its cause I had the whole milk carafe unit in the fridge for a few hours. I'll try again this afternoon

Made an excellent red-eye this morning

Build quality seems okay.. plasticky but not overly cheap feeling. Good feedback on the buttons. Everything was packaged very well

Not terribly loud, about as expected

What really pushed me to buy this particular machine (after researching quite a bit) was it being sold by Costco and having its return/warranty protection. It seems EVERY machine has some kind of issue that pops up eventually and its nice having that peace of mind
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5474 posts
2296 upvotes
Keep it clean and you will not have any issues.
Jan 23, 2011
54 posts
36 upvotes
I'm seeing it at $699 online. Do they have these at $599 in store or is the deal dead?
May 21, 2002
361 posts
65 upvotes
TwinTurbo wrote: I'm seeing it at $699 online. Do they have these at $599 in store or is the deal dead?
Dead.. I ordered it this past Friday