Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco.ca: Salton Slim Induction Cooktop - $44.99 ($10 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2021 5:56 pm
Feb 2, 2011
332 posts
153 upvotes
New Westminster
b31770 wrote: I've had a Duxtop for many years now and it's been great. A bit loud and a bit tall, but perfect for deep frying outside with the temperature mode.

Looking for this slim model for hotpot.

Anyone seen this in the Downtown Vancouver store?
Yes, downtown location for 39.99
Aug 9, 2007
473 posts
174 upvotes
I use a cast iron wok with an induction top for stir fries. It heats up the wok instantly, have to be very careful or the oil will smoke. I have to prep everything before I turn it on, and everything is done in a few minutes. If you have an electrical stove, this is way hotter and faster for wok stir fries.

I also use it for hot pot and making coffee in a moka pot, both very fast.
Nov 21, 2006
66 posts
37 upvotes
aviador wrote: Mind you that this cooktop is a "slim" model so in addition to being thinner (thickness), it sits lower on surfaces (meaning: its cooling system might be weaker than equivalent thicker frame units -- its fan might be smaller. Thicker units usually have longer legs -- bigger ground clearance allow better ventilation). It's also a 1500W model, the regular 1800W model is $10 (or $15?) more expensive, IINM.
Most of the Canadian household max. Output is 1500W except for your kitchen stove which is about 4500W. So using a 1800W model may trip your breaker
Nov 21, 2016
66 posts
110 upvotes
Ottawa
Been using the duxtop 1800 watt for years without any problems. As others have mentioned, it's really nice for hot pot.
Mar 24, 2016
969 posts
1488 upvotes
scarborough
i have a trailer in a trailer park which uses propane. we use one of these to do 95 per cent of our stove top cooking. As a result i have never run out of propane .
May 18, 2009
389 posts
307 upvotes
Richmond
Does anyone know how long the power cable is for this? Would I need an extension cord if I wanted to use it in the middle of my table for hot pot?
Jun 10, 2003
705 posts
117 upvotes
Halifax
zevnux wrote: Does anyone know how long the power cable is for this? Would I need an extension cord if I wanted to use it in the middle of my table for hot pot?
Just follow an extension cord chart, get the proper gauge cable for the power and length you need. For something like this at max power you would be looking at something like a max of 50ft for 14ga, 100ft @ 12ga and 150ft @ 10ga. The cable on my salton hot plate which is the older version to this one is 4.5ft long
[OP]
Jul 11, 2009
845 posts
581 upvotes
Calgary
tsuda wrote: I use a cast iron wok with an induction top for stir fries. It heats up the wok instantly, have to be very careful or the oil will smoke. I have to prep everything before I turn it on, and everything is done in a few minutes. If you have an electrical stove, this is way hotter and faster for wok stir fries.

I also use it for hot pot and making coffee in a moka pot, both very fast.
moka pot? I thought those Bialetti's were made of aluminum, which wouldn't work on induction cooktops?
Aug 28, 2013
701 posts
437 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is actually pretty good in price! Save me a trip to Costco where sometimes its got too many people.
Jan 15, 2016
564 posts
578 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
RoyF482 wrote: This is actually pretty good in price! Save me a trip to Costco where sometimes its got too many people.
i might grab one closer to spring. ive been carrying a camp stove with gas whereas we've been staying in yurts/otentiks with outlets. thinking i go light this year and just do this. there's always still the campfire to cook in too.
Jan 15, 2016
564 posts
578 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
ben35 wrote: Looks like another good option - but I'm not Ikea's return policy matches Costco's, and I've had an induction cooktop fail on me after about a year.
its not, but ikea plus your credit card extended warranty would cut it. its not that pricey as well to buy a new one 2-3 years down the road worst case scenario.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10770 posts
5074 upvotes
Had a induction style top in our island and when we decided to reno our kitchen again 5 years later we went with a glass top stove in the island instead and miss the induction and wish we didnt switch it.
Have one of these but not the exact same its from newegg and a bit bigger and works great and nice to have around.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2158 posts
563 upvotes
Lévis
kbear99 wrote: Ah yes that's true the duxtop has more temperature settings with the lower half settings incrementing by 0.5, so is better than the Salton for fine tuning.
Fine tuning can be more a hassle then a pros sometimes. It's good but only if you need it. My example is, we had a thermostat in an appartment that had .2 increases. It was useless (.5 is just fine). But when we wanted to lower or increase temperature, we had to presss more often. No big deal but, like I said, it was more a con.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1352 posts
1136 upvotes
VANCOUVER
SPARTACVS wrote: Fine tuning can be more a hassle then a pros sometimes. It's good but only if you need it. My example is, we had a thermostat in an appartment that had .2 increases. It was useless (.5 is just fine). But when we wanted to lower or increase temperature, we had to presss more often. No big deal but, like I said, it was more a con.
Sometimes, but that analogy doesn't apply to an induction cooktop where you want maximum temperature control.

When I deep fry outside on the Duxtop, I wish there were even more temperature settings. I think it goes from 340 to 370, but should really be in increments of 10 at least. Once calibrated against a thermometer, both 340 and 370 might be way off to what I want.
Jan 30, 2007
110 posts
40 upvotes
I had the Costco Salton and used it intesively (every day) during a long kitchen reno where I had no appliances for 8+ months . It died after that long usage :) but for $40 it did all that we needed over that summer,
Bought the IKEA version and I felt was a better device due to better distribution of heat elements (vs. center focused heath on Salton). Induction is great for quick heating but dont expect low temperature modulation on it as a gas stove. The way is working is full power on then off . I now have an Miele cooktop in the kitchen. A good product but I still miss a good gas stove plus the good induction ready cookwares are $$. Look for 3ply, 5ply or cooper cores or cast iron ...