• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2021 5:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 2, 2006
96 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal

[Costco] Costco.ca: Tobin Sports Wavebreak Inflatable Kayak $279.99

Not the best deal but I'm posting since these are hard to find stock.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 22nd, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated retailer name
19 replies
Dec 4, 2017
318 posts
377 upvotes
Whitby
In the pic seems to more a boat than a kayak.
Sep 15, 2015
851 posts
711 upvotes
Mooooonnn
How does this compared to intex challenger/explorer/seahawk?
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Sep 29, 2020
36 posts
159 upvotes
jsoccerboy wrote: Would this be cheaper in store?
It's cheaper in store by like 20 bucks, but GL finding stock
Sep 15, 2015
851 posts
711 upvotes
Mooooonnn
Some good video on inflatable kayak.

This guy seems know his stuff, looks like
1. this is a tier 2 kayak, which seems a bit more durable than intex ones and their seats are better than intex’s inflatable ones. But drying looks like a issue.
2. This guy recommend skip tier 2, either stick with tier 1, or jump to tier 3, with Drop-Stitch technology (he gave an example of sea eagle razorlight)
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
May 18, 2007
812 posts
1421 upvotes
Toronto
+1 ordered!

Prices for similar ones on Amazon are more expensive!

This one seems decent enough for the $$$.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2002
1022 posts
306 upvotes
Bought this last year and returned it.
Sides are too wide and gets in the way when paddling.
Material does take a while to dry.
Nothing to brace your feet on when paddling to get some leverage.

Went with the Body Glove Porter which they have for sale now too but keep in mind that it is more than double the cost: https://www.costco.ca/body-glove-porter ... 25713.html
Dec 28, 2011
422 posts
201 upvotes
OAKVILLE
I would steer clear of inflatable kayaks as regular kayaks with a paddle and car carrier kit usually sell for ~$329 at Costco twice a year although finding stock this year may be an issue.
Nov 30, 2013
498 posts
437 upvotes
anshiren wrote: How does this compared to intex challenger/explorer/seahawk?
None of those are paddlable imo unless it is dead calm or you are very fit. The posturing doesn’t work at all. The cross surfaces are too big for the wind. There is virtually no draft so wind will blow you everywhere. Bought a Seahawks 4 and it was a waste. I never see anyone able to use inflatable it in southern Ontario.
Sep 15, 2015
851 posts
711 upvotes
Mooooonnn
lesoir wrote: None of those are paddlable imo unless it is dead calm or you are very fit. The posturing doesn’t work at all. The cross surfaces are too big for the wind. There is virtually no draft so wind will blow you everywhere. Bought a Seahawks 4 and it was a waste. I never see anyone able to use inflatable it in southern Ontario.
I totally agree. I guess one need to have a proper expectation. At this price point, I think it may just serve the purpose of a nice weekend afternoon with kids on a clam small pond/lake, not even lake simcoe.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14602 posts
8625 upvotes
Southern Ontario
anshiren wrote: How does this compared to intex challenger/explorer/seahawk?
I don't agree with what's been said, we used this green Intex Challenger K2 (2nd one up) for 4y at several provincial parks, I can track it fine, we also have hard Pelicans. But I wouldn't use a Seahawk, that's more like a dingy.

Sep 15, 2015
851 posts
711 upvotes
Mooooonnn
AncasterRFD wrote: I don't agree with what's been said, we used this green Intex Challenger K2 (2nd one up) for 4y at several provincial parks, I can track it fine, we also have hard Pelicans. But I wouldn't use a Seahawk, that's more like a dingy.

I got a challenger k2 for 3 years and had lots of fun in calm local lakes and some small lakes in provincial parks.

But last season I noticed 2-3 big scratches, after trying to pump it for 40mins and never had the chances to test it in water after patch it. But after I saw the scratches I would not kayak in bigger lakes or shallow rivers with rocks or reeds.

Plan to buy another k2 for kids but perhaps I will get a quality sea eagle one myself as well
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14602 posts
8625 upvotes
Southern Ontario
anshiren wrote: I got a challenger k2 for 3 years and had lots of fun in calm local lakes and some small lakes in provincial parks.

But last season I noticed 2-3 big scratches, after trying to pump it for 40mins and never had the chances to test it in water after patch it. But after I saw the scratches I would not kayak in bigger lakes or shallow rivers with rocks or reeds.

Plan to buy another k2 for kids but perhaps I will get a quality sea eagle one myself as well
Shoe Goo or Marine Goop in successive layers, drying in between, makes a great patch over punctures on a K2. But when it splits along a seam where 2 sections meet glued at the factory, it's done, it'll keep splitting along that seam. The Explorer was $119 last Nov, as soon as Amazon has Intex K2's, they get sold out fast, then they're stupidly overpriced by 3rd party.

We bring 2 rigids anyway camping so if there's a problem with the inflatable, at least 2 of us can still go out, just not the whole family. I've heard good things about Sea Eagles.