Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco.ca: Xterra ERG600W Water Rower - $649

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 12:43 pm
Dec 8, 2016
45 posts
44 upvotes
fatdad wrote: Big thank you! I managed to grab one from rogue yesterday and got the same total. I'm trying not to think about how much I have spent on home gym equipment this month :( Hopefully will improve lung function before the kids bring covid home from school :-p
i figure it's convenient if you're working from home. had a difficult day or bored? do some rowing. the c2 also has a solid resale value if you change your mind later on. I should receive my unit by Monday (about a week from ordering date to delivery).
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1697 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP.

I decided to just buy one. I've been wanting a rower for a while, especially the C2, but the higher cost and large footprint/noise always caused me to hesitate. (I also don't need all the metrics, I just want to row, sweat and feel the burn.) I've rowed a bit in high school so I'm hoping the water rower reminds me of that, at least when it comes to the stroke feel.
Tapout123 wrote: Originally, I thought it might be just me; that I was just not using the rower properly or wasn't going hard enough, but then my wife tried it and found the same thing. Also, I remembered that when I asked the woman I bought it from ( a cop) why she was selling it, she said that it just "wasn't for her" so I'm guessing she experienced the same thing that I did.
How fast are you going with your strokes? After several strokes, does the "catch" (beginning of the stroke) still feel heavy? If you approach the rower like how I see a lot of people do at the gym (low resistance and high strokes per minute) then I can see the water rower being used ineffectively.

I'll report back when I try mine out.
Jan 25, 2005
109 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
Concept 2 pricing -
  • Fitness Depot Ottawa - has some in stock as of yesterday - they said limited stock - $1688+Tax
  • | Fitness Town Inc - $1,599.00 + Tax ; next shipment is expected beginning of October
  • Rogue Canada - gets some in stock ( looks like a few every time) - you need to check on a daily basis. They go very quickly. ( CAD $1250 + TAX + $120 shipping to Ottawa) - Total $1600
I was on C2 manufacturer waiting list - since April - received notification this week, expected delivery next week. $950 US + $65 USD Shipping to Ottawa + Customs charges; which I expect will be about $100-150 ; altogether should come to around $1500.

Second hand one on kijiji are being advertised for $1500-1900 in Ottawa
[OP]
Feb 12, 2011
44 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
The C2 seems great, but it's a different segment. We're talking $650 vs nearly 3 times as much.

If you want to save on import fees, ask the shipper to mark it as self-clear. If it's too late for that, either contact UPS once it's shipped and tell them you're going to self-clear (they'll send you a form) or decline delivery and tell them you're going to self-clear. UPS's brokerage fees are insane, they wanted me to pay $270 CAD on my tow hitch that was $750 USD. I self-cleared with the CBSA and paid $130 CAD. The caveat is you have to go to a CBSA office near you in person with the seller invoice and form that UPS gives you.

I just got my Xterra a couple of days ago. Assembly was easy, seems pretty good, I went up to max resistance, seems to give a bit of a sweat but I can see how folks might want more resistance than it offers. It's mostly for my gf, but I'll be using it a bit too. It's heavy, but I'd be able to return it on my own if need be, folds up nicely too. The only thing I noticed it it whines/whistles a bit inside the wheel when you pull, it kinda seems like it's slowly going away or maybe I just don't notice it. The whooshing itself is quiet and soothing.
Feb 2, 2010
944 posts
768 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: How fast are you going with your strokes? After several strokes, does the "catch" (beginning of the stroke) still feel heavy? If you approach the rower like how I see a lot of people do at the gym (low resistance and high strokes per minute) then I can see the water rower being used ineffectively.
Thats the problem the "catch" is deeper into the stroke the faster you go, and no matter what you do, you cannot increase the resistance, nor can you have it vary while you're rowing (programs). You may find it ideal for you, and since you've bought it, I hope it works out well and you get a good workout from it. I tried everything (higher speeds, longer strokes, combinations of both) and just didn't get a good workout from it, but everyone is different so good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1697 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Tapout123 wrote: Thats the problem the "catch" is deeper into the stroke the faster you go, and no matter what you do, you cannot increase the resistance, nor can you have it vary while you're rowing (programs). You may find it ideal for you, and since you've bought it, I hope it works out well and you get a good workout from it. I tried everything (higher speeds, longer strokes, combinations of both) and just didn't get a good workout from it, but everyone is different so good luck!
Thanks,
I'm back on the fence, that moving "catch" seems annoying, but i guess that is kind of what it's like in the water. Typically you don't vary the resistance through the workout, you just vary your stroke speed & length of the stroke. Sprinting vs jogging kinda thing.

I can still cancel the order before it ships & start looking for used C2 rowers on craigslist. Just one fewer hassle to return to costco.
Some people on this thread said they got this xterra and enjoyed it, so I am hoping I'll fall into that category. Thanks for the heads up by the way!
Nov 30, 2019
17 posts
5 upvotes
LOL .. I got both my C2 rower (ordered sept 10'th via Rogue) and IC4 spin bike (sept 4'th from best buy) from the UPS guy on the same delivery!!! I assembled the C2 - was a breeze to assemble and seems worthy of being put in MOMA for its design. I'm so happy with it on Day 1 .. just salivating at the build quality. The only con is the space it takes. It is 8 feet in length and needs 9 feet in clearance. It does tear down into 2 pieces so not too worried. Thanks again to the RFD posters who pointed me to this/Rogue Canada!!
May 10, 2015
11 posts
5 upvotes
I bought this after looking for a rower for a while (C2 was never in stock, and i really hated the price tag). Honestly, very minimal difference in feel between the C2 and this. When I row, I do interval training (30 seconds hard, 30 seconds slow). During the hard strokes, this feels just like a C2. I can't comment on longevity / part quality, as i have only had it for a few days, but I'm thrilled in terms of performance.
Dec 24, 2012
227 posts
312 upvotes
Terrebonne
Got my unit yesterday, put it together today and had my first training.

I've rowed on the C2 at a crossfit box before, but it's been 2 years and I'm pretty out of shape now. I have to say while I do see a difference in the feel the stroke gives, it's not night and day to me. Resistance is good, but I'm more of a slow-and-powerful rower than light but fast.

Managed to get my heart rate to 160+ and sweat a bit with minimal noise in the house, for 40% of the price of a C2. Great buy for me.
Jan 25, 2005
109 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
Got mine this week from Concept 2 directly. Left at the door.
Paid the $65 USD shipping to Concept 2. It was shipped via Fedex.
No Taxes ; No customs clearance ; No brokerage fees.
All in all USD 965. = CAD $1,284.38

Maybe I'll get dinged via a bill in the mail - but nothing so far.
Life is good......................................
  • =====================================================
  • " If you want to save on import fees, ask the shipper to mark it as self-clear. If it's too late for that, either contact UPS once it's shipped and tell them you're going to self-clear (they'll send you a form) or decline delivery and tell them you're going to self-clear. UPS's brokerage fees are insane, they wanted me to pay $270 CAD on my tow hitch that was $750 USD. I self-cleared with the CBSA and paid $130 CAD. The caveat is you have to go to a CBSA office near you in person with the seller invoice and form that UPS gives you.
======================================
Feb 13, 2012
46 posts
21 upvotes
BRAMPTON
If you didn’t have to pay taxes or brokerage fees you scored! Self clearing sound like a hassle though. I heard from someone they paid $306 in fees for their rower upon delivery. I was debating on ordering from C2 but the unknown COD is making me order through Rogue where I know it will be $1490 delivered.
[OP]
Feb 12, 2011
44 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
GoldenArms81 wrote: If you didn’t have to pay taxes or brokerage fees you scored! Self clearing sound like a hassle though. I heard from someone they paid $306 in fees for their rower upon delivery. I was debating on ordering from C2 but the unknown COD is making me order through Rogue where I know it will be $1490 delivered.
It's been pretty straight forward and quick whenever I've done it, 10 minute visit. In my experience the courier will charge you about twice as much as self clear will cost you. So for a 20 dollar savings it might be meh, but it depends how much you value money/time and where your line is. UPS would probably charge ~$300 for that C2 FND got while self-clear would be like ~$150. They also calculate duties on the total amount (including shipping) when the CBSA won't tax shipping.

Also, if it was FedEx, they might bill you the brokerage fees after the fact and you won't have a choice but pay them since you've already accepted the package.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1697 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Tapout123 wrote: Thats the problem the "catch" is deeper into the stroke the faster you go, and no matter what you do, you cannot increase the resistance, nor can you have it vary while you're rowing (programs). You may find it ideal for you, and since you've bought it, I hope it works out well and you get a good workout from it. I tried everything (higher speeds, longer strokes, combinations of both) and just didn't get a good workout from it, but everyone is different so good luck!
I got it, set it up. I put it the water to level 1 and I managed to get a good resistance. I think the key is that you need to know how to burst with each stroke. If you kinda just pull it "intuitively" with your legs and your arms kinda just follow through at the end, it's not going be as much of a challenge.
Look up some youtube videos on proper technique, if you see any person who's making their hand going up and down over their knees with each stroke, just skip them, because don't know what they're doing.

OR. your unit is busted. I get a good resistance even with some light strokes.

The sound is quite nice btw, a lot less noisy than a C2. I can see why people say it feels like you're rowing on the water with it too. More realistic than the C2.
Feb 2, 2010
944 posts
768 upvotes
Sypsy wrote: I got it, set it up. I put it the water to level 1 and I managed to get a good resistance. I think the key is that you need to know how to burst with each stroke. If you kinda just pull it "intuitively" with your legs and your arms kinda just follow through at the end, it's not going be as much of a challenge.
Look up some youtube videos on proper technique, if you see any person who's making their hand going up and down over their knees with each stroke, just skip them, because don't know what they're doing.

OR. your unit is busted. I get a good resistance even with some light strokes.

The sound is quite nice btw, a lot less noisy than a C2. I can see why people say it feels like you're rowing on the water with it too. More realistic than the C2.
I'm glad it works for you. I've been using rowers (and other equipment) for 25 years, and I'm fairly confident I was using it properly, and that there was nothing wrong with the equipment. I think I'm just physically better suited to variable-resistance equipment. I tend to get bored easily and I like the idea of a program to keep the muscles and mind challenged over the course of the workout.

Cheers and good luck!