Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Costco - Champion 4000 W Open-frame Generator - $499.97

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 9:20 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
6292 posts
38091 upvotes
Montreal

[Costco] Costco - Champion 4000 W Open-frame Generator - $499.97

I don't know much about generators, but this seems like a good deal.
Spotted at Costco Candiac, Champion 4000 W Open-frame Generator for $499.97

DC2D73DC-DABA-4FB2-9078-94B307F14C9D.jpeg
Last edited by krazykanuck on Dec 5th, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
17 replies
Aug 24, 2018
846 posts
1149 upvotes
Langley BC
Not bad if you don't mind the noise (64 decibel where the closed ones are around 53 i think).
Don..
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
Thanks OP.
Last edited by ahoroba on Dec 5th, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
6292 posts
38091 upvotes
Montreal
ahoroba wrote: Thanks OP.
The generator in your link and the in-store one (shown in your pictures) are two different generators.
The in-store one (from your photos) does not say "digital hybrid" anywhere, and its wattage is "4000 starting watts and 3500 running watts", whereas the more expensive "digital hybrid" one sold online has "4000 starting watts and 3300 running watts".
Thanks. I've removed my link
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
CO detector is useless, you shouldn't be using these generator indoors and when the co detector breaks your generator won't work.
Jun 19, 2008
44 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
Check the signal, prolly some voltage vs reference that activates the machine until it reaches a certain threshold, or active high/low when unplugged. Cram a static voltage with low current in and bypass the Piece of crap. Probably hacks out there already. CO sensor is so dumb.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
2268 posts
2729 upvotes
I sold an old Champion as it was so loud it was unusable for a subdivision setting.

Maybe the new ones are more quiet but I doubt by much
>Wake up and take the orange pill ...
Nov 24, 2018
765 posts
980 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
TomLafinsky wrote: The problem with providing a way to bypass the CO detector in a public forum is that one could end up in court. And the same for RFD website if the info was provided in here.

The thing is that this device has only one purpose; to save human lives. Let's say the info on how to defeat it would be provided in here and then some idiots somewhere in Canada (this is a Canadian model only) would use the info and end up killing part of his family. You can rest assured that he will be on very good ground for suing the individual who provided the info, as well as the website which provided access to such info.

This is not a joke. If the device we are defeating would not be about preventing people from dying from CO2 then it would be a totally different matter.

Hopefully the mods and admin at RFD have enough common sense not to allow such a discussion in here.
I have a generator, but I also have a CO detector inside the house where I sleep, so, I won't get kill when using this. Firman

My generator directly backfeed my panel, so the CO detector will contiuously powered to keep my family safe.
FYI, I got this Firman in October 13 at 399$, plus the extra cashback on 5% depending if you had + or - 3000$/ year.
===========
Luckymobile (AC+BF deal), 20$ unlimited calls/ text + 3.25gig
Nov 24, 2018
765 posts
980 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
DonM28020 wrote: Not bad if you don't mind the noise (64 decibel where the closed ones are around 53 i think).
Close frame gen? you mean, inverter? They are roughly twice the regular generator. Those are mostly destined for close neighborhood and camping site (where noise) is important factor.
===========
Luckymobile (AC+BF deal), 20$ unlimited calls/ text + 3.25gig
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1174 posts
1556 upvotes
Calgary
Pass

Don’t be THAT guy at the campground running one of these noisy generators.
Jun 5, 2008
681 posts
414 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TomLafinsky wrote: The problem with providing a way to bypass the CO detector in a public forum is that one could end up in court. And the same for RFD website if the info was provided in here.

The thing is that this device has only one purpose; to save human lives. Let's say the info on how to defeat it would be provided in here and then some idiots somewhere in Canada (this is a Canadian model only) would use the info and end up killing part of his family. You can rest assured that he will be on very good ground for suing the individual who provided the info, as well as the website which provided access to such info.

This is not a joke. If the device we are defeating would not be about preventing people from dying from CO2 then it would be a totally different matter.

Hopefully the mods and admin at RFD have enough common sense not to allow such a discussion in here.
Lol, good luck with that...
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2008
2178 posts
2040 upvotes
By the Large Bay
Friends don't let friends buy open frame generators. These are fine on construction sites where they are quiet in comparison to everything else. In a neighborhood or campground you'd quickly become enemy number one. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2010
1255 posts
814 upvotes
Canada
superscoots wrote: I sold an old Champion as it was so loud it was unusable for a subdivision setting.

Maybe the new ones are more quiet but I doubt by much
According to the description this inverter generator is 50% quieter than a traditional Champion 3300-watt generator.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2144 posts
878 upvotes
Ottawa

Instead of advocating censorship for a subject with which you disagree, why not simply point out the risks and suggest alternatives if any? My 5500 watt open generator has operated fine for years without a mounted carbon monoxide detector so let's not infer that disabling a built-in one would result in imminent death. Simply repeating that all gas fired generators should be operated outdoors would be much more acceptable instead of suppressing free speech.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
Inverter, decent weight, decent power. I am glad this open frame inverter line is finally trickling across the border.

I agree the CO shield thing is a gimmick. AKA generator start preventer (it will keep you safe by preventing you from using your generator). The only way i could see it being useful is if you planned on running it inside an enclosed or partially enclosed space, which you should never do. It belongs outside, 20 ft from the house and away from any fresh air openings (watch the HRV vents specifically). Bottom line is these produce a lot of carbon monoxide, don't mess around.

This is basically the same as a standard inverter generator without the plastic shrouding. Lighter and cheaper, but twice as noisy. It is a good match for me, not ideal if you are sensitive to noise, need a generator frequently, or want to use it for camping. They are still 2X less noisy than standard open frame generators, with MUCH cleaner power profile and the ability to ramp up and down depending on demand. I'll be waiting for the higher power versions to come across the border.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1734 posts
522 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: Instead of advocating censorship for a subject with which you disagree, why not simply point out the risks and suggest alternatives if any? My 5500 watt open generator has operated fine for years without a mounted carbon monoxide detector so let's not infer that disabling a built-in one would result in imminent death. Simply repeating that all gas fired generators should be operated outdoors would be much more acceptable instead of suppressing free speech.
Agreed, every portable generator I've ever seen has a warning label which states plainly "DO NOT use indoors". Providing a CO monitor is almost less safe, inviting people to use the generator indoors which they should never do.

A generator can only be used indoors with a properly designed and inspected ventilation system (as in commercial buildings) with air quality monitoring that itself is also regularly maintained and calibrated. Inside a home - nope, never.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
So at the end of the day if my main goal with this generator would be:

-fridge
-furnace
-electronics in my daughters room (baby monitor, noise machine, small heater during cold months)

Would this be a good unit? I’m not concerned about noise or annoying my neighbours if there’s a power outage in winter to be perfectly honest. We’ve had 3 12+ hour outages this year and I’m tired of not being prepared for them. This would be purely for those cases. In summer it would be even less as I wouldn’t put the furnace on it or the small heater in my daughters room.

I know from a load standpoint I’d be covered but would the quality of the power from this unit be safe for those uses?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Unfortunately this unit is $679.99 at our local Costco. I was going to pick one up at OP’s price but no luck in Stoney Creek.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)