• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 12:49 pm
[OP]
Nov 15, 2016
22 posts
37 upvotes
montreal, qc

[Costco] Costco - Global NI 3-piece Knife Set - 159,99$

Not sure how quality of this NI set compares to the Standard set that was on sale at 129$ a few weeks back
Images
  • Capture d’écran, le 2019-10-10 à 19.56.17.png
Last edited by DanIsTheBoss on Oct 14th, 2019 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
47 replies
Feb 1, 2017
186 posts
162 upvotes
This seems like a good deal, but I'm unsure how useful the other two knives will be. If I were only to get one I'd get the chef's knife, so are the other two notable useful enough to warrant paying a bit more then the chef's knife solo on sale?

I only want a good knife for cutting veggies and maybe like some fat off a steak before cooking. What the heck do you use as - at the table knife to cut meat?
[OP]
Nov 15, 2016
22 posts
37 upvotes
montreal, qc
the small knife is great for cutting veggies. The chef knife is definitely a no brainer
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1136 posts
722 upvotes
Toronto
Good price! - the 8" alone is almost that.
ryokoseigo wrote:
Oct 10th, 2019 9:10 pm
This seems like a good deal, but I'm unsure how useful the other two knives will be. If I were only to get one I'd get the chef's knife, so are the other two notable useful enough to warrant paying a bit more then the chef's knife solo on sale?

I only want a good knife for cutting veggies and maybe like some fat off a steak before cooking. What the heck do you use as - at the table knife to cut meat?
If you can/have/should get just one, a good chef's a way to go. 8" is a great size imho. But if you can afford this kit, might be quite useful. I have just one Global G2 (chef,8") and more often than not I prefer wash it and use again for handling different things (like from beef to veggies), rather than use another knife (I have some that amazonbasics block that was quite popular couple of years ago) - it would be easier having 2 equally good knifes.

The smallest one (the paring knife) is great to smaller things, like peeling fruits, dicing stuff, handle garlic and stuff like that. Obviously you can use a bigger knife, but a small paring gives a lot of agility (and some safety even);
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3531 posts
172 upvotes
It's a good deal, especially for those who missed the Global Classic set of 3 for $129.99. I'm content with the classic, but may have considered this one for $30 more. The chef's knife is a no brainer. The vegetable one is good - it's nice having one knife for the meat and a separate one for the veggies when cooking a meal. The paring knife is perfect for the smaller stuff, and I surprisingly use it quite often.
Last edited by tigger03 on Oct 10th, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 18, 2009
894 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
Thanks

4X Aeroplan as well, for those who collect it
Mar 23, 2017
249 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Any reason not to buy this if I can afford it and have been contemplating a solid set of knives for some time, but still have a lot of patience for another deal?
Apr 7, 2011
625 posts
390 upvotes
ottawa
haha it's the Knives of Ni
Nov 8, 2011
488 posts
136 upvotes
NEPEAN
Want the 8" but would rather buy it along with the sharpener. I'm sure I would use the other two knives, but I don't necessarily need them. The proper sharpener, on the other hand, I would need.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2889 posts
12545 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
any recommended sharpener for this set?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Deal Addict
May 8, 2004
3173 posts
511 upvotes
Rlcky wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 9:09 am
any recommended sharpener for this set?
If these have the same edge as the Classic then the MinoSharp Sharpener is the best choice. I have a MinoSharp3 Plus coming in next week for my Classics, will report back how good it is.
Jul 7, 2013
234 posts
310 upvotes
nickwa wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 8:04 am
Want the 8" but would rather buy it along with the sharpener. I'm sure I would use the other two knives, but I don't necessarily need them. The proper sharpener, on the other hand, I would need.
Same, same.

I really appreciate posters sharing these Global deals - one day the stars will align where there's a good deal on the set I really want, and I see it in time!

cheers,
:)
Nov 8, 2011
488 posts
136 upvotes
NEPEAN
klamchowder wrote:
Oct 11th, 2019 9:34 am
Same, same.

I really appreciate posters sharing these Global deals - one day the stars will align where there's a good deal on the set I really want, and I see it in time!

cheers,
:)

Me too, this is the knife I want (the 8" Chef's).
Mar 31, 2008
725 posts
429 upvotes
Airdrie
Thanks picked up a set. William's Food charges $165 just for the chefs knife and $350 for this set.

I never ended up pulling the trigger on the classic mainly from reviews mentioning the small handle. The Ni is supposed to be slightly heftier all around which is my preference.