Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Costco - Global NI 3-piece Knife Set - 159,99$

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2019 12:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 11, 2009
5240 posts
1937 upvotes
Debtario
Don't need them, but still tempted just to try them out. Great price!

If you want to go nuts recommend people check the Business center site for a deal on these Yaxell Rans: https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/Yax ... 36657.html Very good knives (equivalent to shun, according to what I read), VG10 steel and a 69 layer Damascus pattern. I lucked out and got these for $70 from my local Costco liquidator as a damaged box item, I think someone mistook the Damascus pattern for damage because they had a used 3pc global set for $120.

There are several other lesser-known Japanese brands that make amazing knives too, they just don't market in North America so you'll never know about them.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 27, 2014
4957 posts
2050 upvotes
3 knives for a dolla at dollar store.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3651 posts
229 upvotes
Does no one use a Whetstone for sharpening anymore? That's what's recommended for the Global Knives. They can be had online for $20+
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14189 posts
5386 upvotes
Ottawa
tigger03 wrote: Does no one use a Whetstone for sharpening anymore? That's what's recommended for the Global Knives. They can be had online for $20+
So Mr Global is lying to us? ;)




just kidding....there is another video where he shows us how to use stones
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Sr. Member
Jun 1, 2005
889 posts
227 upvotes
GVR
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the granton edge (or fluted???) of this set?

We already have the G2 chef knife and looking to add more, so I won't mind trying this cook's knife, but wondering if the vegetable knife would be better with or without those divots, or if that even makes a difference or not
Last edited by whiteGSR on Oct 16th, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 15, 2016
31 posts
38 upvotes
montreal, qc
ChampGHG wrote: Does anyone know if this sharpener can be used with this set? I mean, I know it says that its compatible with Asian-style knifes, but was wondering if anyone owns this or has tried it

Wüsthof Universal Knife Sharpener

https://www.costco.ca/W%c3%bcsthof-Univ ... 76112.html
I'm not an expert but my believe is that the angle of the cutting edge of Japanese knives is usually 30 °. For other knives, including Germans, angle is between 36 ° and 40 °.
Thought description says "Suited for European and Asian-style knives", this is misleading IMO.
Again, I'm not 100% sure
Hope this helps!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 6, 2003
14189 posts
5386 upvotes
Ottawa
DanIsTheBoss wrote: I'm not an expert but my believe is that the angle of the cutting edge of Japanese knives is usually 30 °. For other knives, including Germans, angle is between 36 ° and 40 °.
Thought description says "Suited for European and Asian-style knives", this is misleading IMO.
Again, I'm not 100% sure
Hope this helps!
yes, the tradition European knives have a 20 degree facet vs a 15 degree facet

https://chefschoice.com/pages/understan ... yle-knives

although the articles states that European knives are starting to adopt the more aggressive profile of Asian style knives.

I would not trust that Wusthof sharpener with these globals, I would only go with one that states it maintains the 15 degree profile. For sure the Minosharp would be the best bet.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1313 posts
625 upvotes
Vancouver
This set doesn't even include a chef's knife...

Suggest just skip it and get Victorinox chef's knife and paring knife for about $50 total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 17, 2006
6371 posts
2293 upvotes
GTA
ChampGHG wrote: Does anyone know if this sharpener can be used with this set? I mean, I know it says that its compatible with Asian-style knifes, but was wondering if anyone owns this or has tried it

Wüsthof Universal Knife Sharpener

https://www.costco.ca/W%c3%bcsthof-Univ ... 76112.html
no no no no.

Use a whetstone or a fixed angle whetstone based sharpening system or a grinder based sharpening system.

There is no magic into sharpening... you have to start medium grit and go to fine and then polish. No machine will do that and don't hone the knives, that does not sharpen a knife but will just break the burr or allign damaged burr which will give you the illusion of sharpness.
M1K3Z0R wrote: Don't need them, but still tempted just to try them out. Great price!

If you want to go nuts recommend people check the Business center site for a deal on these Yaxell Rans: https://www.costcobusinesscentre.ca/Yax ... 36657.html Very good knives (equivalent to shun, according to what I read), VG10 steel and a 69 layer Damascus pattern. I lucked out and got these for $70 from my local Costco liquidator as a damaged box item, I think someone mistook the Damascus pattern for damage because they had a used 3pc global set for $120.

There are several other lesser-known Japanese brands that make amazing knives too, they just don't market in North America so you'll never know about them.
Yeah you did get a steal.

No one needs to replace a knife unless one is a collector or just wants to have different types.... one should learn to sharpen the knife then you wont ever need to replace it!
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
1231 posts
395 upvotes
Montreal,QC
I will be returning it if anyone is interested.
it's still in its UPS packaging. I figured I don't need so many knives now.

I'm in Montreal
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 2, 2015
1387 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Product Not Found

We're sorry, the product you are looking for cannot be found.

No longer available

Top