• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2022 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
352 upvotes
ztauby wrote: Thanks for posting. Does anyone have those pans that can comment on quality. Thanks
I have not seen these pans personally. However I did see the Tramontina Enamelled cast iron pot they had a few months back, and I thought it looked like garbage - poor quality on the enamel in particular, not evenly applied, and there was some pitting. I'm sure "these are fine" but I wouldn't waste my money on them personally. If you can afford something higher quality like Staub you should do that - you will have them for a lifetime.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7173 posts
3634 upvotes
West GTEH!
Thanks OP for the Preview.
A few things to pick up in February.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5531 posts
3531 upvotes
SW ON
dragonflower77 wrote: Yup, you pay taxes on the original full price, then coupon is applied after the taxes, so not sure how they even get away with listing it the way they do.
No tax on cheese.
Mar 4, 2009
332 posts
204 upvotes
Waterloo
dragonflower77 wrote: Yup, you pay taxes on the original full price, then coupon is applied after the taxes, so not sure how they even get away with listing it the way they do.
Coupon is before tax. Besides, there is no tax on cheese or any other grocery product.
Dec 16, 2007
876 posts
427 upvotes
Mississauga
Good to know that is how Costco does it. I’ve never looked closely to calculate as I’m alway buying tons of items but those cash coupons are always applied after taxes on the full price when I check out online. I looked more into it and found this on the tax tips website about coupons. Apparently, if it’s not a manufacturer’s coupon, the vendor can choose how they apply the coupon - prior or after taxes.

https://www.taxtips.ca/gst/coupons.htm

GST/HST Treatment of Coupons, Manufacturers' Rebates, and Gift Certificates

Have you sometimes wondered why, when you buy an item which is on sale, you have to pay GST or HST on the original price? Many stores have in-store coupons that they apply, without the customer having to bring the coupon to the store themselves. Often, when a coupon is applied to reduce the price, the tax is charged on the full price before the coupon.

There are different types of coupons, and two different treatments for these coupons. Sometimes the GST or HST is charged on the selling price before the amount of the coupon is applied, and sometimes it is charged based on the net amount after the coupon is applied.

Reimbursable Coupons

These coupons are also called manufacturers coupons. The vendor accepting the coupon from a customer is entitled to be reimbursed by the manufacturer or another third party. When this type of coupon is used for a taxable purchase, the GST or HST is applied to the full price of the item, and then the value of the coupon is deducted. For instance, for the purchase of a taxable item with a price of $10 in Ontario, with a $3 coupon being accepted from the customer, the HST would be calculated as follows:

Price of item $10.00
HST @13% 1.30
Subtotal $11.30
Less coupon (3.00)
Net charge to customer $8.30

Non-reimbursable Coupons

These coupons are issued by the vendor, so the vendor is not being reimbursed by some other entity for the value of the coupon. The coupon may entitle the customer to a reduction of a fixed dollar amount or a percentage amount. With this type of coupon, the vendor can either

reduce the price of the item before calculating the GST or HST, so the tax charged is lower, or treat the coupons in the same manner as a reimbursable coupon, and charge the GST or HST on the full price of the item before deducting the coupon amount. If the coupon is not treated by the vendor as a reimbursable coupon, the following example shows how the HST would be calculated in Ontario, using an item priced at $10 and a $3 coupon:

Price of item $10.00
Less coupon (3.00)
Subtotal $7.00
HST @13% .91
Net charge to customer $7.91

vanpatrick81 wrote: I don't think so. It's fuil price - coupon = sub-total * tax = total price. Just looking at the receipt I have in front of me and that's how it's calculated.

I think what you're talking about is those "cash coupons" that they give you after spending $x. That's how they calculate things with those.
Last edited by dragonflower77 on Jan 21st, 2022 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 16, 2007
876 posts
427 upvotes
Mississauga
Correct, no tax on cheese. Should have clarified coupons on non grocery item, but some groceries items do have taxes added to them like if you buy a tub of ice cream - no tax, but if you buy a box of individually packaged ice cream bars, you get taxed.
alpovs wrote: No tax on cheese.
sunnyinon wrote: Coupon is before tax. Besides, there is no tax on cheese or any other grocery product.
Apr 10, 2006
667 posts
527 upvotes
dragonflower77 wrote: Good to know that is how Costco does it. I’ve never looked closely as I’m alway buying tons of items but those cash coupons are always applied after taxes on the full price when I check out online. I looked more into it and found this on the tax tips website about coupons. Apparently, if it’s not a manufacturer’s coupon, the vendor can choose how they apply the coupon - prior or after taxes.

https://www.taxtips.ca/gst/coupons.htm

GST/HST Treatment of Coupons, Manufacturers' Rebates, and Gift Certificates

Have you sometimes wondered why, when you buy an item which is on sale, you have to pay GST or HST on the original price? Many stores have in-store coupons that they apply, without the customer having to bring the coupon to the store themselves. Often, when a coupon is applied to reduce the price, the tax is charged on the full price before the coupon.

There are different types of coupons, and two different treatments for these coupons. Sometimes the GST or HST is charged on the selling price before the amount of the coupon is applied, and sometimes it is charged based on the net amount after the coupon is applied.

Reimbursable Coupons

These coupons are also called manufacturers coupons. The vendor accepting the coupon from a customer is entitled to be reimbursed by the manufacturer or another third party. When this type of coupon is used for a taxable purchase, the GST or HST is applied to the full price of the item, and then the value of the coupon is deducted. For instance, for the purchase of a taxable item with a price of $10 in Ontario, with a $3 coupon being accepted from the customer, the HST would be calculated as follows:

Price of item $10.00
HST @13% 1.30
Subtotal $11.30
Less coupon (3.00)
Net charge to customer $8.30

Non-reimbursable Coupons

These coupons are issued by the vendor, so the vendor is not being reimbursed by some other entity for the value of the coupon. The coupon may entitle the customer to a reduction of a fixed dollar amount or a percentage amount. With this type of coupon, the vendor can either

reduce the price of the item before calculating the GST or HST, so the tax charged is lower, or treat the coupons in the same manner as a reimbursable coupon, and charge the GST or HST on the full price of the item before deducting the coupon amount. If the coupon is not treated by the vendor as a reimbursable coupon, the following example shows how the HST would be calculated in Ontario, using an item priced at $10 and a $3 coupon:

Price of item $10.00
Less coupon (3.00)
Subtotal $7.00
HST @13% .91
Net charge to customer $7.91
so either way, we still pay thru our nose. LOL. good to know. tnx.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2008
2771 posts
2044 upvotes
Mississauga
that yardistry deal will be great for anyone looking to get that size of a gazebo on sale.
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11686 posts
5687 upvotes
couple items with decent pricing.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4135 posts
1744 upvotes
Nav416 wrote: Damn it Costco, wallet not safe!
My wallet is rarely ever safe when it comes to Costco Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Sep 16, 2016
702 posts
863 upvotes
Thanks for posting the coupons, haven’t got one yet
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
15177 posts
12556 upvotes
GTA, ON
darkhorz1 wrote: Any idea how's the Stanley hand truck? Do professional movers use it? Are there any additional features to look for?
S.O.B.!

Bought this is November at $80. Still a great price, but at $60, this is a steal!

The hand truck is okay. It's not heavy duty but will do the job for anything 150lbs or less.

[...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 21st, 2022 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: reported/off topic comment removed so it doesn't derail thread
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2991 posts
2283 upvotes
A for op effort, big F for food “sales”.

Real food on sale seems to be like the rotary phone - thing of the past.

Can’t blame Costco though….
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Oct 25, 2007
274 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like Rao's sauce is $2 higher than before. It was 9.99 when it on sale in the past.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2007
2228 posts
644 upvotes
Just think of Costco "coupons" as really just being a Costco "flyer".
Mar 12, 2013
20 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
Any opinions on the Sony 55” X85J? It’s $100 cheaper than Amazon/Visions/Bestbuy with the usual Costco benefits. Good reviews. Warm?
Sep 21, 2017
153 posts
61 upvotes
secsbox wrote: Any opinions on the Sony 55” X85J? It’s $100 cheaper than Amazon/Visions/Bestbuy with the usual Costco benefits. Good reviews. Warm?
I have the 75" X85J and love it for movies.
Dec 26, 2012
24 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
Interested in the Galanz mini fridge. Anyone have any of their products? Looking to get it for the kids play room/bar area.
Costco and I have a love/hate relationship.
Apr 29, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes
Just did a Costco run today and a bunch of items I got are coming onsale. Is the price adjustment period 2 weeks or 30 days? I can’t remember.
Oct 10, 2006
852 posts
1347 upvotes
Ottawa
addeal1987 wrote: Just did a Costco run today and a bunch of items I got are coming onsale. Is the price adjustment period 2 weeks or 30 days? I can’t remember.
30 days and need to be in stock.