Costco

Costco - Keter Horizontal Storage Shed and deck boxes on sale

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2021 1:03 pm
Jan 24, 2011
700 posts
520 upvotes
Montreal / Laval
As we can only have one shed in our backyard according to my municipality rules (Laval) , this one counts as a shed bylaw?
-------------
Public Mobile Cell + Data: Unlimited talk and text + 2GB - 20$
Zoomer Wireless Cell + Data : Unlimited talk and text + 6 GB - 40$
IVC Internet : 100/30M Videotron cable - 40$
Sep 8, 2006
265 posts
55 upvotes
Anyone know how this one compares to the Lifetime brand one that they were selling in store?
Jun 6, 2011
351 posts
297 upvotes
Ottawa
Chewfam wrote: 1. Measure your bike/bikes? We don't know how big your "large" bike is and you mentioned you have a few.
2. How secure would depend on your own real world testimony of where you're putting it and how safe the area is. Anyone can break a lock.
Jesus Christ, was just looking to hear from some people who use this as bike storage.. get their general experience so far. Pretty common request on RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1427 posts
1703 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: I haven't seen anyone complain about Keter being an Israeli company.

I have however seen many people complain about the Keter deck box lids warping during previous Costco sales.
One of their old models was recalled for that reason I believe. A friend of mine has the recalled one and kept it since he has no issues with it. Spent a few years outside now. I have one of these deck boxes too an no issues of any kind so far.
Jul 29, 2016
328 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Has this ever been in store before? I remember seeing something similar couple years back in Richmond Hill warehouse for 4XX something?
May 17, 2010
299 posts
195 upvotes
lmx116 wrote: Has this ever been in store before? I remember seeing something similar couple years back in Richmond Hill warehouse for 4XX something?
Yes, it was $499 in store a couple of months ago.
Feb 7, 2014
278 posts
215 upvotes
Kitchener
Chewfam wrote: 1. Measure your bike/bikes? We don't know how big your "large" bike is and you mentioned you have a few.
2. How secure would depend on your own real world testimony of where you're putting it and how safe the area is. Anyone can break a lock.
He was looking for some experience from people who have used it to store their bikes in. Sounds like a reasonable request to me, why is that bothering you so much?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3060 posts
1731 upvotes
Kingston
TrevorK wrote: I haven't seen anyone complain about Keter being an Israeli company.

I have however seen many people complain about the Keter deck box lids warping during previous Costco sales.
I don’t buy Keter products because of the first point. Many people don’t know. The ones that do can make an informed choice.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17619 posts
8299 upvotes
JC69 wrote: I don’t buy Keter products because of the first point. Many people don’t know. The ones that do can make an informed choice.
Why?

I have just never heard of people boycotting products from Israel. If you don't want to publicly say, feel free to PM me. I'm not here to debate your choice, I just don't know about it so am curious why.
Aug 19, 2007
288 posts
88 upvotes
Markham
I've been putting it off but wanted to get one for the following dumb reason:

Housing for my BBQ

Ive always wanted to protect my bbq (Weber Genesis E 310) all these years...we cook on it, so why would I just want some vinyl cover where mice and others have free rein? I used to have it in the garage but now there's no space for it. Sure it won't keep the critters out but I also hate putting that vinyl cover on after every use. Anyone that owns this could you kindly measure the height, length and depth inside?

If it works, I'll be so happy...the winter critters like to even chew on the wires so hopefully this would deter them.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4926 posts
1452 upvotes
Richmond Hill
spascual76 wrote: I've been putting it off but wanted to get one for the following dumb reason:

Housing for my BBQ

Ive always wanted to protect my bbq (Weber Genesis E 310) all these years...we cook on it, so why would I just want some vinyl cover where mice and others have free rein? I used to have it in the garage but now there's no space for it. Sure it won't keep the critters out but I also hate putting that vinyl cover on after every use. Anyone that owns this could you kindly measure the height, length and depth inside?

If it works, I'll be so happy...the winter critters like to even chew on the wires so hopefully this would deter them.
+1 same here. Specs says WDH: 109.22 cm x 189.99 cm x 132.33 cm (43 in. x 74.8 in. x 52.1 in.).
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
3179 posts
1617 upvotes
Ottawa
JC69 wrote: I don’t buy Keter products because of the first point. Many people don’t know. The ones that do can make an informed choice.
TrevorK wrote: Why?

I have just never heard of people boycotting products from Israel. If you don't want to publicly say, feel free to PM me. I'm not here to debate your choice, I just don't know about it so am curious why.
Same here I don't want to get political, but If it is something from Israel then I avoid it. People boycott/avoid/bash stuff from China because they don't want to support the CCP and the human rights stuff. But we give Israel a pass for their occupation of Palestine and their continual stealing of their land. Where is the same energy that people give to China and Chinese products? This is propaganda/lobbying groups successfully doing their thing.

I see why people want to buy these kinds of plastic sheds because they are so easy to put together, but I just think $500 is kind of steep. I would rather go to the hardware store and buy some wood and make it myself. That way, you know the lids don't warp, and its probably harder to break into if you have a bike stored in it.

I thought this thing would be a full height one when I saw the cost, but I guess COVID supply lines has raised the price of everything?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17619 posts
8299 upvotes
eugene188 wrote: Same here I don't want to get political, but If it is something from Israel then I avoid it. People boycott/avoid/bash stuff from China because they don't want to support the CCP and the human rights stuff. But we give Israel a pass for their occupation of Palestine and their continual stealing of their land. Where is the same energy that people give to China and Chinese products? This is propaganda/lobbying groups successfully doing their thing.

I see why people want to buy these kinds of plastic sheds because they are so easy to put together, but I just think $500 is kind of steep. I would rather go to the hardware store and buy some wood and make it myself. That way, you know the lids don't warp, and its probably harder to break into if you have a bike stored in it.

I thought this thing would be a full height one when I saw the cost, but I guess COVID supply lines has raised the price of everything?
Thanks for explaining your reason.

I agree on the cost - I think the Keter products such as their sheds look amazing. They are just very expensive and more difficult to customize compared to a standards wood shed (deck box, half-height shed, etc.). I know some friends who are more into DIY have gone with plastic sheds and end up regretting it later on because it's challenging to do things like put up shelving, and issues like the doors sagging and such.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
2668 posts
2556 upvotes
polish_jr333 wrote: Jesus Christ, was just looking to hear from some people who use this as bike storage.. get their general experience so far. Pretty common request on RFD.
haihai wrote: He was looking for some experience from people who have used it to store their bikes in. Sounds like a reasonable request to me, why is that bothering you so much?
Its logical critical thinking.
I guess that's too much and considered a bad tone.

I answered both questions logically in comparison to the real world.
Literally trying to help by telling them to compare his own bikes to the size of the box to see if they will fit.
Also how secure it is depends where the box is going to be located.

But it seems random feedback would seem to be more helpful to you guys.
Mar 8, 2004
962 posts
245 upvotes
Got this box (https://www.costco.ca/keter-rattan-870- ... 37544.html) from Costco to hold all the cushions for my outdoor sectional (https://ashleyhomestore.ca/products/eas ... n-set-of-3), and good that I got this biggest one as it just barely hold all of them.

I did some quick research and as some people already mentioned, a lot of complaints about the warping of the top cover. The one I got has a X brace support (you can see in this video: ) that you need to install yourself when assembling the box. Not sure how it helps to prevent the warp, but the top cover is already storing rain after the first week of usage. Not a big issue for me as rain didn't get inside the box, however I see the possible warping of the top cover over time. However, as I need storage for the cushions, filling all 230 Gallon, this is the only option I came across.

Assembly is easy, I did it in 1 hour by myself (hand tool only), a power tool will be useful but just make sure to set it to lowest torque to avoid stripping the plastic.
Nov 25, 2020
98 posts
70 upvotes
I do not recommend this.

I just received mine and attempted to build it. Every piece dimension seem to be off by 1 or 2 cm, nothing really fits together, the pre-drilled holes would not align. I looked past the first "mismatch" forcing it, but then came another and another when trying to build the walls. I called the service number, they actually picked up the phone quickly and were willing to ship any parts I needed, but not much help otherwise. I can't tell which parts are off, so it would be a gamble to order the right one.

I just tried to repack it and will be returning it to Costco, but will cost me truck rental and will be a hassle loading this thing up.

Buyer beware. You can try your luck with Costco return policy but is a hassle to return this.