Expired Hot Deals

Costco

Costco new/renewal membership offer - $50 off on $50 online purchase (or $100 off on $100)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2021 10:53 am
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6867 posts
3383 upvotes
Debtario
No email here, expired since October 2019. I get their spam emails about weekly warehouse deals, but checked and can't find anything welcoming me back.

trying to renew or make a new account with the awareness code I get "The promo code you have entered is invalid. Please verify the code and try again."

I'm really interested, I'm due for new glasses so I'll have to renew my membership anyway... though I rarely go to Costco due to the pandemic and the closest one being a 30 minute drive.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3268 posts
558 upvotes
mc_molineux wrote: To the people who alternate their memberships with their spouses to get "new member" offers like this:

Are there any drawbacks vs. a straight renewal? Can you still return things purchased with the expired membership? Can you use your existing costco.ca account? Any other negatives?
Does anyone have any insight on this?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6867 posts
3383 upvotes
Debtario
Anyone got a screencap of the email?

Maybe I could show it to them and play it dumb that the code does not work, or just spoof it with MS paint :P
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Mar 10, 2018
132 posts
128 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Anyone got a screencap of the email?

Maybe I could show it to them and play it dumb that the code does not work, or just spoof it with MS paint :P
It's a unique code, and once used, it's not reuseable.
Zoomer
[OP]
Mar 10, 2018
132 posts
128 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: No email here, expired since October 2019. I get their spam emails about weekly warehouse deals, but checked and can't find anything welcoming me back.

trying to renew or make a new account with the awareness code I get "The promo code you have entered is invalid. Please verify the code and try again."

I'm really interested, I'm due for new glasses so I'll have to renew my membership anyway... though I rarely go to Costco due to the pandemic and the closest one being a 30 minute drive.
Maybe you opted out of their emailing list. That's how I didn't get the email and it's what the Costco rep told me over the phone.
Zoomer
[OP]
Mar 10, 2018
132 posts
128 upvotes
mc_molineux wrote: Does anyone have any insight on this?
1. No drawbacks, but typical renewal promotions require at least more than 12 months of expiry, so even if you alternate between two people, you might need to wait for some more months to be eligible for a new renewal promo unless you have three people to take a turn in membership;

2. Yes, you can return the purchases with the expired membership;

3. You can still use the existing costco.ca account as long as you renewed with the same old membership number.
Zoomer
Jul 5, 2021
4 posts
4 upvotes
Got it! New customer, had an online account but did not receive an email, even though I did receive other promotional emails.

As others suggested, I went it anyways, and just showed them the promo I wanted to redeem, and gave the awareness code. I think a manager did something to apply it because it took a while, but I got it!

Talked me into upgrading to the Executive, so I got the $100 voucher. So excited, finally a member! Now to go shopping. :)

Thanks for sharing!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6004 posts
2182 upvotes
sorry, this is so confusing.
Is this the right chain of events - for NEW MEMBER ?

1 click the link in the OP
2 sign up as a new member, enter all your details, but do NOT go thru with payment for the membership
3 wait 2 days to receive a costco email with a special code
4 log back into costco account
5 now go ahead with the real payment for the membership and enter the special code from the email

could anyone confirm please?
Dec 22, 2013
208 posts
220 upvotes
East york
SomeOtherDude wrote: sorry, this is so confusing.
Is this the right chain of events - for NEW MEMBER ?

1 click the link in the OP
2 sign up as a new member, enter all your details, but do NOT go thru with payment for the membership
3 wait 2 days to receive a costco email with a special code
4 log back into costco account
5 now go ahead with the real payment for the membership and enter the special code from the email

could anyone confirm please?

I went instore and asked the rep that I want to sign up using the awareness code. They were chill and convinced me to get the executive membership.

Just received the $100 coupon yesterday. Took 2 days from sign up to arrive.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4178 posts
3043 upvotes
Edmonton
Lol, too funny that people actually admit to getting talked into the executive membership, particularly for RFDers out to save money. As far as this offer is concerned, there is no benefit to the executive membership. Regular card is essentially costing you $10 while the upgraded card is $20 (after voucher). The voucher must be used online so with the executive membership, you now have to purchase $100 value of stuff that is overpriced online.

I suppose it's okay if you do a lot of your shopping there for the rebate and you intend to renew with the executive membership.
Dec 22, 2013
208 posts
220 upvotes
East york
starchoice wrote: Lol, too funny that people actually admit to getting talked into the executive membership, particularly for RFDers out to save money. As far as this offer is concerned, there is no benefit to the executive membership. Regular card is essentially costing you $10 while the upgraded card is $20 (after voucher). The voucher must be used online so with the executive membership, you now have to purchase $100 value of stuff that is overpriced online.

I suppose it's okay if you do a lot of your shopping there for the rebate and you intend to renew with the executive membership.
Well with a $100 coupon I am basically paying $20. So i only need to spend 2k at Costco to have a free membership. To each their own, In the end it depends how much you shop at Costco for you to decide which membership option to go with. For me the executive works out better.
Oct 2, 2020
8 posts
7 upvotes
Hamza12 wrote: Well with a $100 coupon I am basically paying $20. So i only need to spend 2k at Costco to have a free membership. To each their own, In the end it depends how much you shop at Costco for you to decide which membership option to go with. For me the executive works out better.
Executive membership actually get 2% rewards so only $1000 spend to get $20 reward
Dec 22, 2013
208 posts
220 upvotes
East york
303angelfish wrote: Executive membership actually get 2% rewards so only $1000 spend to get $20 reward
You're right. Thanks for clarifying! Makes it even better.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
6004 posts
2182 upvotes
starchoice wrote: Lol, too funny that people actually admit to getting talked into the executive membership, particularly for RFDers out to save money. As far as this offer is concerned, there is no benefit to the executive membership. Regular card is essentially costing you $10 while the upgraded card is $20 (after voucher). The voucher must be used online so with the executive membership, you now have to purchase $100 value of stuff that is overpriced online.

True, but the $10 vs $20 is negligible because you get 2% rebate and even the occasional user will get back that $10 difference in no time

As for the $100 voucher yes it's sort of only good if you needed a larger item anyways
Like I needed to get a ceiling fan, or new bike anyways which cost a few hundred dollars already
I wouldn't get groceries with online order. There's plenty plenty of other well priced items.
Jan 20, 2007
357 posts
119 upvotes
Montreal

I've been executive member for many years now, i've never had to pay for my membership, the rebate card has always been more with regular family purchases.
And with these rebates it would be a complete no brainer to match $20 in rebates... it's really a no brainer.

As far as buying stuff online, there is a large amount of stuff online that can't be bought in stores and for better price than you'd find outside of costco; + they often have online only promos that further sweeten the deal.
Jun 24, 2013
750 posts
1659 upvotes
Mississauga
do we have to pay tax on membership fees?
how much do we pay after this deal?

Thank you
Mar 31, 2020
40 posts
10 upvotes
Can I signup online for new membership and receive the $100 voucher code by email?
Dec 10, 2017
81 posts
143 upvotes
From what I understand, Costco will refund you the $60 difference if you have an executive member card and don't end up getting a cashback reward greater than the cost to upgrade. So technically, you can pay the $120 upfront, get a $100 coupon, come renewal time, ask for a refund of the $60 to upgrade and you come out on top with a $40 gain. Of course, you will have to go in person to the customer service desk to get that refund.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2018
132 posts
128 upvotes
Snoopydoo wrote: From what I understand, Costco will refund you the $60 difference if you have an executive member card and don't end up getting a cashback reward greater than the cost to upgrade. So technically, you can pay the $120 upfront, get a $100 coupon, come renewal time, ask for a refund of the $60 to upgrade and you come out on top with a $40 gain. Of course, you will have to go in person to the customer service desk to get that refund.
Wouldn't they know that you had the coupon and ask you to reimburse?
Zoomer
Oct 1, 2003
702 posts
444 upvotes
Vancouver
Snoopydoo wrote: From what I understand, Costco will refund you the $60 difference if you have an executive member card and don't end up getting a cashback reward greater than the cost to upgrade. So technically, you can pay the $120 upfront, get a $100 coupon, come renewal time, ask for a refund of the $60 to upgrade and you come out on top with a $40 gain. Of course, you will have to go in person to the customer service desk to get that refund.
Excellence!

Good thinking. I may go go for this after all. Cancelled my membership in Aug 2020, so good timing.