Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] [Costco] Northrock XC00 Bike - 399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 6:57 pm
Mar 19, 2007
253 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
these are a great deal at $400...the gearing isn't very good for real trail riding but can be changed fairly inexpensively.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6318 posts
1921 upvotes
GTA
rendered22 wrote: How are these Fat bikes in the snow?
Rear wheel drive, not too good Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 25, 2011
61 posts
35 upvotes
BURLINGTON
MrFrugal1 wrote: You would be better to reframe your question in a more specific way. Are you wanting a fat bike to commute, or ride on trails? Dry powder on a trail is different than slushy road crap.
Same question - more specific - I plan to ride this on snow on an asphalt trail, but I would like to try riding it in mixed conditions (hard packed snowmobile trail, some slush) on a frozen lake. Is this practical?
South Lake Simcoe is a busy winter lake, but I haven't seen a bike there. Any advice appreciated.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
2997 posts
1578 upvotes
GTA
DonkeyDoo wrote: Excellent bike for the price!

For those who don't know, Northrock is made by Giant. Each Northrock model has a similar equivalent Giant model, but for significantly less money. For the price, you can't go wrong with any of the Costco Northrock models.
The Northrock frames are manufactured by Giant, who make a lot of private label frames for many companies.

Has it ever been confirmed that Giant actually owns Northrock? Not so sure about that.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
4690 posts
1251 upvotes
GTEH!
rendered22 wrote: How are these Fat bikes in the snow?
The tires in OP pictures look like they are made for the snow.
😎
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3386 posts
1151 upvotes
BC
Can someone who knows about bikes get into why this is a good deal? Whats the deal with the phat tires?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3005 posts
1786 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
407user wrote: Same question - more specific - I plan to ride this on snow on an asphalt trail, but I would like to try riding it in mixed conditions (hard packed snowmobile trail, some slush) on a frozen lake. Is this practical?
South Lake Simcoe is a busy winter lake, but I haven't seen a bike there. Any advice appreciated.
I imagine that it would be fine on a snowmobile trail on the lake. The only downside is that it is dead flat and exposed to wind. While the flat isn't necessarily bad, I hate headwinds with every fiber of my being.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2867 posts
785 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
ottawarc wrote: these are a great deal at $400...the gearing isn't very good for real trail riding but can be changed fairly inexpensively.
The gear ratio is only 2:1 (28T:14T). Can't see anywhere it's weight. So you might be disappointed trying to climb a hill. So for less gentle inclines and not expecting to pedal too fast this might work for you.

As for trail conditions, the tires are about right for gravel, hard snow, fresh dry and wet snow, sand, slush, side hills.

PS:
What does this mean in the description found here?
"... the VELO saddle is contoured to increase power output and enhance performance".
Last edited by Marzipan on Jan 7th, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3005 posts
1786 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Feegus wrote: Can someone who knows about bikes get into why this is a good deal? Whats the deal with the phat tires?
Fat tires allow you to ride on loose pack material (snow, sand) with greater ease than narrow tires that sink.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
12085 posts
6101 upvotes
Southern Ontario
407user wrote: Could a down voter explain why this is not a good deal?
I missed these last year and plan to buy. They are in stock in Burlington as of yesterday.
I didn’t down but probably because it’s regular price which makes it a notification thread, although it is a good deal. And hot when it hits 299.97 later.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3005 posts
1786 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Marzipan wrote: PS:
What does this mean in the description found here?
"... the VELO saddle is contoured to increase power output and enhance performance".
It means the saddle is contoured to be uncomfortable, and you will be standing and pedalling most of the time, thus increasing power to the pedals. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

Just kidding. I think it's just marketing gobbledygook to fill space.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3790 posts
1333 upvotes
Montreal
407user wrote: Could a down voter explain why this is not a good deal?
I missed these last year and plan to buy. They are in stock in Burlington as of yesterday.
There are currently 3 downvotes and you feel it is necessary to call them out and explain themselves?? I don't understand the obsession with downvotes that seems to happen in so many RFD threads these days ...
Mar 2, 2005
756 posts
216 upvotes
GT!! wrote: There are currently 3 downvotes and you feel it is necessary to call them out and explain themselves?? I don't understand the obsession with downvotes that seems to happen in so many RFD threads these days ...
Upvoted .. Questions... Are those "juice" or cable actuated brakes
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2867 posts
785 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
bmmr wrote: Upvoted .. Questions... Are those "juice" or cable actuated brakes
Mechanical discs per the link I provided above ... click HERE