Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] [Costco] Northrock XC00 Bike - 399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2020 6:57 pm
Mar 10, 2009
462 posts
85 upvotes
This is the normal price, but Northrock bikes are still good value. These will be better than bikes you find at Walmart, Canadian Tire or most other big box stores.

Northrock seems to be their own independent company, though their frames are likely made by Giant Manufacturing Company (who makes/made frames for many other bike brands including Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Scott and Specialzed at one time or another; In addition to their own Giant bikes of course).

There isn't a 'Giant equivalent' frame of the Northrock models. They aren't 're-branded' Giant bikes.

Most of the components are decent, but still entry level.

As the Costco staff aren't bike techs, make sure to check everything was put together correctly - bolts are all tightened and everything is aligned correctly

You may also probably need to tune/adjust the bike's shifting and braking.

and wear helmet anytime you are riding!
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3220 posts
543 upvotes
GTA
None in heartland and brampton.
Jan 13, 2017
328 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote: You would be better to reframe your question in a more specific way. Are you wanting a fat bike to commute, or ride on trails? Dry powder on a trail is different than slushy road crap.

Obviously leisure. I wouldn't ride in the city with a fat bike. I'd take my Pinarello Dogma or Grevil for road and city/gravel, but they would never be left locked up anywhere except for inside my home.

I'm looking for inexpensive fat bikes to take to Hardwood Hills where they groom their trails beautifully in the winter!
Jan 13, 2017
328 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
TYG3R wrote: This is the normal price, but Northrock bikes are still good value. These will be better than bikes you find at Walmart, Canadian Tire or most other big box stores.

Northrock seems to be their own independent company, though their frames are likely made by Giant Manufacturing Company (who makes/made frames for many other bike brands including Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Scott and Specialzed at one time or another; In addition to their own Giant bikes of course).

There isn't a 'Giant equivalent' frame of the Northrock models. They aren't 're-branded' Giant bikes.

As the Costco staff aren't bike techs, make sure to check everything was put together correctly - bolts are all tightened and everything is aligned correctly

There's no way Giant makes Scott's higher end Carbon Frames... While they're a great brand of bicycles, they're no Scott.

Great post nonetheless
Aug 25, 2011
61 posts
35 upvotes
BURLINGTON
GT!! wrote: There are currently 3 downvotes and you feel it is necessary to call them out and explain themselves?? I don't understand the obsession with downvotes that seems to happen in so many RFD threads these days ...
Call out? You are equating a request for information with criticism. As I said, I am ready to purchase. The comments here are very positive, but I would like to hear the cons as well as the pros and the ratio of downvotes to upvotes was smaller when I made the post.
Feb 18, 2019
260 posts
272 upvotes
N8Magic wrote: The Northrock frames are manufactured by Giant, who make a lot of private label frames for many companies.

Has it ever been confirmed that Giant actually owns Northrock? Not so sure about that.
You may be right, maybe Giant doesn't own them, however:
A "Giant" bike is a Giant made frame + Shimano (mostly) components assembled into a complete bike.
A "Northrock" bike is a Giant made frame + Shimano (mostly) components assembled into a complete bike.
Who actually assembled it doesn't really matter, it's basically a Giant bike at a discount, with a private label for Costco.
Jul 6, 2010
223 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote: None in heartland and brampton.
They had at least 6 at Heartland last week. They must have sold out.
i am upside down
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12169 posts
5955 upvotes
Toronto
As an avid cyclist and a fat bike owner, this bike is decent for what it is at the price point.

If you are using it to tool around in the slush, snow and sand, then fine, but please don't buy one of these to see if you like actual fatbiking.

It's very heavy, with bad gearing and while it can be "upgraded", it isn't cheap or easy to do so due to a lot of non-standard sizing.

It also only comes in 1 size, which is about an 18 inch frame, so it won't fit everyone.

If you are interested in fat biking, rent a proper one from a shop or borrow one from a friend to try. It's truly awesome when you get it right.

This guy in Ottawa (Deeeight) bought one a few years ago and upgraded basically every part on it:

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/new-l ... 42920.html
Last edited by Swerny on Jan 7th, 2020 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3036 posts
377 upvotes
Swerny wrote: It also only comes in 1 size, which is about an 18 inch frame, so it won't fit everyone.
What size of person fits this size of bike?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3220 posts
543 upvotes
GTA
umopapisdnwei wrote: They had at least 6 at Heartland last week. They must have sold out.
Doh must of missed them, were they black or the same color as the op's?
Jul 6, 2010
223 posts
453 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote: Doh must of missed them, were they black or the same color as the op's?
IIRC, they were black.
i am upside down
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1298 posts
279 upvotes
Bedford
TYG3R wrote: This is the normal price, but Northrock bikes are still good value. These will be better than bikes you find at Walmart, Canadian Tire or most other big box stores.

If you look at the Northrock XWS womens hybrid, the frame is the same as the frame on a Giant Roam. Yes the components are a down grade, but frame appears identical to be. Obviously after sale service from Costo will not compare to a bike shop for tweaking, but with Costco you can just return.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3017 posts
1803 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Swerny wrote: As an avid cyclist and a fat bike owner, this bike is decent for what it is at the price point.

If you are using it to tool around in the slush, snow and sand, then fine, but please don't buy one of these to see if you like actual fatbiking.
Such snobbery! Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Can't be any worse than the $2500 mountain bikes collecting dust in garages on my street.
I know what you are getting at though. However, getting people into the idea that yes, you can actually cycle in winter (I love when people ask why you don't freeze,) outweighs the risk that they will disappointed with the ride on a $400 fat bike.