Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] [Costco] Ontario: Danby Window Air Conditioner with Silencer 8k BTU 248$

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2020 10:57 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2008
94 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] [Costco] Ontario: Danby Window Air Conditioner with Silencer 8k BTU 248$

I came across this window air conditioner with a very interesting feature : silencer technology. I didn't know these quiet machines existed!!
I am dumping my noisy unit and got this for $290 tax in Ontario
Link for the 25% ontario rebate: https://www.costco.ca/.product.1377804.html
Says rebate valid until May 31 but still works.
Last edited by AKACHOUCH on Jun 7th, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
11651 posts
17523 upvotes
Below 50db is pretty quiet indeed, anyone here has one an attest to its " quietness"?
[OP]
Jun 11, 2008
94 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
stephroll wrote: Below 50db is pretty quiet indeed, anyone here has one an attest to its " quietness"?
The reviews from Costco and amazon seem to confirm it's quietness.
https://www.amazon.ca/Danby-DAC080EB4WD ... B07MZQNCC8
Curious though as to why this technology isn't widely available across the brands/models ?
The price difference is not much ($60 ) with a similar unit without the silencer : https://www.costco.ca/danby-8%2c000-btu ... 71169.html.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
1167 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I bought one last year and it developed a rattle after a few months, returned it. Bought the same unit again this year to give it a second shot. It's not exactly the same as before, some minor things looked tweaked. However the current one does have a bit of noise from some internal part vibrating with the compressor. Not too major though.

Princess Auto had this on their website for $249.99 but now it's disappeared.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1585 posts
286 upvotes
BC
Have one. In a smallish bedroom for a light sleeper like myself any noise is loud. Face With Tears Of Joy
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”
Mar 14, 2009
369 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
Wanted one of these when announced last year but didn't come out in time.

Looks like a membership is now required to check out on Costco.ca?!
Feb 17, 2018
88 posts
58 upvotes
These are $349 everywhere (I bought a refirb at Princes Auto for $219). It is SUPER quiet. Quieter than a regular fan on the lowest 2 settings. On the highest the outside compressor increases speed and it is noticeable. Note its really only good for 300sq ft, but highly recommended.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
17840 posts
5055 upvotes
Don't need one today as it's bloody cold here in Thunder Bay at 7C. Do they have any portable air conditioners? Window ones are always a pain to fit into new style windows.
Nov 30, 2016
491 posts
544 upvotes
Mississauga
Request for anyone who's got this. Please could you use a sound meter app and measure the loudness
1. About an inch above the top of the unit
2. About 6 feet from the unit.
I am wondering if the listed decibel levels are at source or in the middle of the room.
Jul 3, 2008
483 posts
260 upvotes
Ontario
AKACHOUCH wrote: I came across this window air conditioner with a very interesting feature : silencer technology. I didn't know these quiet machines existed!!
I am dumping my noisy unit and got this for $290 tax in Ontario
Link for the 25% ontario rebate: https://www.costco.ca/.product.1377804.html
Says rebate valid until May 31 but still works.
Anybody get the rebate working today? Coupon no worky :(
Jan 30, 2017
444 posts
63 upvotes
Does this one need a window to work?

Do all portable a/c need a window?
May 1, 2011
159 posts
28 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Coupon not working! Deall appears to be dead
Mar 17, 2014
26 posts
24 upvotes
Just a heads up to anyone planning to order an AC unit from Costco.ca, I've ordered mine May 25th and it still hasn't shipped yet Slightly Smiling Face
Oct 17, 2014
6 posts
8 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
All AC units need a window/hole to outside. Even the portable ones have a hose that goes out the window.

Generally speaking A/C is a heat pump, so it works by pulling heat (energy) from the air, pushing that heat (energy) outside and pushing the cold air (air with less energy) into the house. If there's no way for it to eject the heat outside the house then hot air and cold air would be going to the same place so the net effect is no cooling (and actually some heating due to inefficiency). Same principal as a fridge. That's why you couldn't just leave your fridge open to cool your house. In fact, if you feel the sides or back of your fridge (depending on where the heat exchanger is) while its cooling, you'll feel heat coming off it.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1172 posts
179 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
DougO wrote: Don't need one today as it's bloody cold here in Thunder Bay at 7C. Do they have any portable air conditioners? Window ones are always a pain to fit into new style windows.
I'm inclined to think just about any A/C design is better than a portable air conditioner but I agree it is often a PITA for most the window installations. That's why I've installed my window air conditioners in a sleeve through the wall. Similar to https://extremehowto.com/installing-a-w ... -the-wall/. Easy to do with new construction but I've also done it with finished walls.
"The world has moved on."
Roland the Gunslinger