• Jun 11th, 2020 8:57 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9818 posts
4944 upvotes
Markham

[Costco] Costco - Pit Boss 24" Kamado Ceramic Charcoal BBQ $800

Saw this at the Thorncliffe/Overlea store just now. It's a 24" model which is a big boy size [equivalent to XL in Big Green Egg]. The lid is heavy, can't imagine how heavy the whole grill is! Pretty blue color too.

Only one box on the floor and the floor model.

This has sold for $599 and $699 in the past but stock can be very hit or miss. I'm only posting if someone wants to buy one as grilling season is just starting. Please do not downvote me.
IMG_20200522_102654.jpg
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
62 replies
Jan 6, 2013
34 posts
13 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
That is interesting and very nice color indeed.
Costco has also the Lousianna Grill 24inch version online for $979 shipped but OOS.
Not sure what is the difference between the 2, but looks like a good buy...if you can manage to pick physically it up without breaking your back!
Jul 14, 2008
860 posts
1053 upvotes
Montreal
gr8dlr wrote:
Only one box on the floor and the floor model.
[/b]

IMG_20200522_102654.jpg
If you are willing to buy the floor model, ask for a discount. I was able to get a 75$ discount when I bought mine 2 years ago, it's YMMV but you never know, you lose nothing for asking.
Jan 15, 2004
379 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know much about grills but saw these in Calgary last week and they appear to be a well made, sturdy product. I've got a Weber kettle charcoal which works really well for my needs, but these seem like they would have much better heat insulation.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9818 posts
4944 upvotes
Markham
pacman wrote: I don't know much about grills but saw these in Calgary last week and they appear to be a well made, sturdy product. I've got a Weber kettle charcoal which works really well for my needs, but these seem like they would have much better heat insulation.
Insulation is definitely better but you'll have less insulation in your wallet. If you got a Weber kettle I'm pretty sure it cooks just as good food so you're not gaining much unless you want some pretty grilling jewelry.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 5, 2015
486 posts
528 upvotes
Verdun, QC
For those who are not in a hurry, kamado Joe are often found at $999. It's not expensive but the quality, part availability, customer support easily makes up for it.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2093 posts
633 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
gr8dlr wrote: Insulation is definitely better but you'll have less insulation in your wallet. If you got a Weber kettle I'm pretty sure it cooks just as good food so you're not gaining much unless you want some pretty grilling jewelry.
This is MUCH more efficient when it comes to charcoal then a weber, much more even temps and overall much better. It will take years to see the savings though, and by the time you break even all the garbage metal hardware on this unit will fall appart.
I love cooking on my pit boss, but kicking myself in the ass for not buying komado joe or bge for much better hardware.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2903 posts
894 upvotes
Ottawa
I have ordered a primo xl.. And have put that order on hold.. Ordered a masterbuilt 1050 ($1100). Convenience of smoker, but charcoal.. Gravity fed. Start and go.. Has a fan /probes /pid thermometer panel built in.

I spent half hr messing with my akorn kamado kooker today and I smell like a campfire.. I may still get the primo xl but frankly I don't know.

The masterbuilt comes in a smaller size for $699.

Spent a week reading forums and reviews.. Quality is not supreme but features and function seem exactly what most charcoal folks are looking for.
Sep 23, 2005
334 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
I have a green one from 2016 (not quite 4 years old) with less than 100 cooks (i.e. using it less than 2x a week during the summer). I love the cooking results, but the build quality is absolute junk!

So far, things that have broken include:
1. Cracked fire pot
2. Cracked lower bowl exterior
3. Broken hinge (only opens halfway - this makes the grill completely useless)
4. Broken thermometer (reads 800 when cold)

I'm currently working on the warranty department (supposed to be 5 year warranty) on what happens next. But I will probably have to find a way to bring this 260lb beast back to Costco.

If you can afford it, go with BGE or KJ.
Nov 13, 2008
133 posts
47 upvotes
toronto
for someone who owned the weber kettle... I am SOOOO much happier with this kamado... its amazing, it has become much more versatile in terms of bbq experiences. you dont need to be a pro, and you will make some great bbq.

downside - there is not rotesserie... but i think i can make it.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1875 posts
1215 upvotes
Hamilton
lostinpangea wrote: I have a green one from 2016 (not quite 4 years old) with less than 100 cooks (i.e. using it less than 2x a week during the summer). I love the cooking results, but the build quality is absolute junk!

So far, things that have broken include:
1. Cracked fire pot
2. Cracked lower bowl exterior
3. Broken hinge (only opens halfway - this makes the grill completely useless)
4. Broken thermometer (reads 800 when cold)

I'm currently working on the warranty department (supposed to be 5 year warranty) on what happens next. But I will probably have to find a way to bring this 260lb beast back to Costco.

If you can afford it, go with BGE or KJ.
I have two BGE and have made 4 separate warranty claims for cracked ceramic. Having said that the process is easy and all I have to do it provide a picture.

If you only use these things to smoke you'll be fine but if you get into high temps from reverse sear and Pizza you're gonna crack ceramic regardless of brand.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26336 posts
4616 upvotes
Hamilton
On a unrelated note. How come Costco stop carrying charcoals!!!!
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Jul 5, 2004
24768 posts
4048 upvotes
CaptainCrash wrote: I have two BGE and have made 4 separate warranty claims for cracked ceramic. Having said that the process is easy and all I have to do it provide a picture.

If you only use these things to smoke you'll be fine but if you get into high temps from reverse sear and Pizza you're gonna crack ceramic regardless of brand.
Not sure about other brands, but I know that KJ now has a firebox that is several pieces to allow room for expansion without it breaking. From what I read online, this has resulted in the ceramic breaking far less often than it used to.

I currently have a steel one but my next kamado will be kamado Joe. Best bang for your buck by far.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
2874 posts
56 upvotes
bought the red one last night,
heavy SOB its in my garage right now. Havent opened yet, does the lid come attached? Wondering if it will be easier to take the box (remove my railing) and use a bunch of people and lift it onto my deck. Or should i unbox in the garage and move the base/lid and pieces separately - this way i dont have to take anything apart.