• Jan 27th, 2023 12:00 pm
[OP]
Aug 20, 2009
21 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto

[Costco] Costco: SK-II Facial Treatment Essence $60 off

Seems like a good deal.
Last edited by CarrieRFD on Jan 24th, 2023 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price added
53 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
2168 posts
1101 upvotes
Who else sending it to their gf rn trying to score some brownie points?
Apr 30, 2017
49 posts
49 upvotes
Edmonton
I have not seen this in stores.
In a world where you can be anything...
Be Kind.
Dec 30, 2013
378 posts
242 upvotes
Mississauga
manho wrote: Who else sending it to their gf rn trying to score some brownie points?
Scoring brownie points or wondering why your broke didn't get it for her haha
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2449 posts
2557 upvotes
Toronto
manho wrote: Who else sending it to their gf rn trying to score some brownie points?
it could swing both ways depending on the context, be careful! lol Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 8, 2002
337 posts
251 upvotes
Edmonton
This is a good deal in terms of discount/price but just a heads up that SK-II is extremely overpriced and overrated (just like La Mer and other higher end brands). For the essence, the selling point is the high concentration of pitera (I think it's like 90% of the liquid) but not much else. Pitera is now used in other skincare products (and at one point, Clinique had a dupe that was, like, 20% of the SK-II price). Beautypedia had a review but they've since pulled the whole thing down. I'm not sure how much trust you'll put in blog reviews but here's one and another and another.

As far as I'm aware, this won't harm your skin, but there are better, cheaper options.

Edit: Clinique and SK-II are not part of the same company; I for some reason thought they were.
Last edited by SKS2002 on Jan 24th, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 26, 2022
25 posts
34 upvotes
The brownie points are required to offset the potential outcomes of the Ikea valentine's dinner.
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11091 posts
5988 upvotes
Toronto
Darkblade48 wrote: Anyone know how much it is in warehouse?
Same price … $219.99.. so good deal
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2519 posts
3370 upvotes
West GTA
SKS2002 wrote: This is a good deal in terms of discount/price but just a heads up that SK-II is extremely overpriced and overrated (just like La Mer and other higher end brands). For the essence, the selling point is the high concentration of pitera (I think it's like 90% of the liquid) but not much else. Pitera is now used in other skincare products (and at one point, Clinique -- a P&G company just like SK-II -- had a dupe that was, like, 20% of the SK-II price). Beautypedia had a review but they've since pulled the whole thing down. I'm not sure how much trust you'll put in blog reviews but here's one and another and another.

As far as I'm aware, this won't harm your skin, but there are better, cheaper options.
I just took a look at Pitera, and it appears to be a byproduct of sake production - it's a fermented rice liquid. Impact is questionable.

Frankly for face, you really want two items:

1. Am moisturizer with some SPF in it. Cerave AM is excellent.
2. Pm moisturizer without SPF in it. Cerave PM is excellent.

If shower in evening, put PM on immediately after showering before skin fully dries. If shower in morning, put AM on right after instead.

That has your ceramides (locks in moisture), hyaluronic acid (draws water into skin), SPF (protects from blemishes, skin damage, cancer), niacinamide (can relieve redness), doesn't clog pores. No strong fragrance. Low allergic potential. King of moisturizers. Both bottles put together are like 15-20% of this serum cost.
Aug 31, 2006
972 posts
135 upvotes
There's a much cheaper dupe for this, I can't remember what it's called but I believe it's a Korean brand starts with M.Confused Face
May 28, 2012
12035 posts
4656 upvotes
Saskatoon
vanessie wrote: There's a much cheaper dupe for this, I can't remember what it's called but I believe it's a Korean brand starts with M.Confused Face
Missha (credit to my daughter for knowing, haha...she said she wouldn't buy it from Amazon though)
Feb 23, 2010
250 posts
197 upvotes
I love this stuff. Makes my complexion look good/angry hormonal face much calmer
Jan 5, 2013
741 posts
208 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
There are many reports that this essence can contribute to/worsen fungal acne. Make sure this works for your skin before buying!
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2021
1297 posts
506 upvotes
grumble wrote: I just took a look at Pitera, and it appears to be a byproduct of sake production - it's a fermented rice liquid. Impact is questionable.

Frankly for face, you really want two items:

1. Am moisturizer with some SPF in it. Cerave AM is excellent.
2. Pm moisturizer without SPF in it. Cerave PM is excellent.

If shower in evening, put PM on immediately after showering before skin fully dries. If shower in morning, put AM on right after instead.

That has your ceramides (locks in moisture), hyaluronic acid (draws water into skin), SPF (protects from blemishes, skin damage, cancer), niacinamide (can relieve redness), doesn't clog pores. No strong fragrance. Low allergic potential. King of moisturizers. Both bottles put together are like 15-20% of this serum cost.
Where do you usually get this? How about for the body?
Dec 8, 2002
337 posts
251 upvotes
Edmonton
pprider wrote: Where do you usually get this? How about for the body?
I'm not the poster but CeraVe is in drugstores (like Shoppers) and some products are at Costco. In general, CeraVe is a safe line where most of their products will have some (or great) benefit to skin. They also do have body lotions and creams as well (that's what I linked for Costco).

In general, you want stuff that's unscented, without sensitizing ingredients (like fruit acids, lots of alcohol), and with beneficial ingredients like antioxidants and vitamins. Sunscreen for the day is essential. In general, it should be from thinnest to thickest (so from liquids to creams). Beyond that, price is not indicative of the product's strength or quality; you can build a solid routine using drugstore brands like CeraVe or even the "cheap" lines like the Ordinary or Inkey List; likewise, just because something is expensive does not mean that it's actually amazing for you (SK-II, La Mer, etc.).

The main issue with skincare is that people have to do their own research. Products are only regulated to a point and companies can sell stuff that can make your skin even worse. For the most part, a single brand can sell stuff that's both great and horrible for skin, so you have to pick and choose your products. Like, stuff that has made headlines (like parabens and that sunscreen ingredient that bleaches coral) are actually less of an issue that things like fragrance. Lastly, skincare is an individual thing; I've gotten much more interested in it over the years not only because I'm Korean but because my skin got ridiculously sensitive to various things over the past few years. What works for me may not work as well (or at all) for you and vice versa.

Paula's Choice has good informational posts about a lot of different things, including setting up a skincare routine. Their products are good (to great), but taking into account the USD/CAD exchange rate, there are better options.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28713 posts
9310 upvotes
Hamilton
AkaTdog wrote: Scoring brownie points or wondering why your broke didn't get it for her haha
Damnnnnnnnnn
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2008
1388 posts
1432 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know if this is on sale instore in Vancouver? I’ve been trying to call but nobody is picking up the phone at the downtown location.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)