Hot Deals

[Costco] [Costco West] Wagyu finally available in GVA $69.99/kg

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 11:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2852 posts
1232 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Lots of stock at Still Creek this morning. Unfortunately still Tomahawks.
Jr. Member
Feb 1, 2019
123 posts
33 upvotes
Ducky90 wrote: You should have probably review the main post before starting this one.
It's good to have a new post, the other Wagya Costco post was mainly Eastern ON and 50+ pages..
Newbie
Jan 25, 2020
16 posts
28 upvotes
People on RFD will figure out complicated methods of spending 2$ on 51 boxes of cereal but will turn around fight each other at Costco over $69.99/kg beef.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
2044 posts
663 upvotes
So finally did it. I was a bit concerned with respect to the quality, simply because.... well Costco selling Wagyu. Bought a Wagyu Rib steak bone in and slow cooked it on the BBQ. Seared and then let the internal temperature reach 140. Very impressed. Yes, it still has that buttery tenderness that some may not enjoy but it is tender as heck. The marbling was consistent. Glad we got two. The pup was some happy as well afterwords...

I am a devoted BBQ guy and, if you are going to throw it on the grill, DON'T walk away for more than a minute. If you have a four burner BBQ as I, turn on the outside elements and place the steaks on the inside between them to cut down on the flame significantly as it is not directly over the element..

So... that steak cost me $85. Was it worth it, considering I have been fortunate to regularly have Wagyu at some of the best restaurants in the US and Asia? Yes. You are not getting this steak in a restaurant for anywhere near this price. Impressed.
Images
  • 104348635_3139462586123400_6371482250598095203_o.jpg
  • 105041183_3139475096122149_1519958802562063606_o.jpg
Newbie
Nov 26, 2018
92 posts
70 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone in Calgary see any of the strip loin packs? Called Okotoks and Deerfoot meadows locations but no dice
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2009
539 posts
135 upvotes
flamenko wrote: So finally did it. I was a bit concerned with respect to the quality, simply because.... well Costco selling Wagyu. Bought a Wagyu Rib steak bone in and slow cooked it on the BBQ. Seared and then let the internal temperature reach 140. Very impressed. Yes, it still has that buttery tenderness that some may not enjoy but it is tender as heck. The marbling was consistent. Glad we got two. The pup was some happy as well afterwords...

I am a devoted BBQ guy and, if you are going to throw it on the grill, DON'T walk away for more than a minute. If you have a four burner BBQ as I, turn on the outside elements and place the steaks on the inside between them to cut down on the flame significantly as it is not directly over the element..

So... that steak cost me $85. Was it worth it, considering I have been fortunate to regularly have Wagyu at some of the best restaurants in the US and Asia? Yes. You are not getting this steak in a restaurant for anywhere near this price. Impressed.
Great info, think I will grab some as a fathers day treat to myself :)

Can you provide some more detail on the bbq side of cooking, were you constantly flipping it? and roughly how long did it take to cook?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
2044 posts
663 upvotes
Hardaway102 wrote: Great info, think I will grab some as a fathers day treat to myself :)

Can you provide some more detail on the bbq side of cooking, were you constantly flipping it? and roughly how long did it take to cook?
More than happy to. I turn the BBQ on high on all burners and then let it get up to 5-600 degrees. Make sure the steak is room temperature ALWAYS. Open the BBQ up and sear the steak on one side for 2-3 minutes. Turn it over and do same. Throw the steak on the second rack and turn the two outside burners off and put the two inside burners half way.. I will usually close the lid for a few minutes Move the steaks from the second to the middle of the grill, but not over top of the outside burners. I flip but it isnt a constant flip. Every few minutes. You want to keep the steak away from the open flame as Wagyu has very high fat content and will cause a massive fire. Temp 135 inside for rare, 145 for medium rare...I love 140 degrees. She is done. Your pup will love you for sharing that bone.
Member
Nov 24, 2003
455 posts
104 upvotes
Howlader wrote: Anyone seen these in Edmonton?
The NE Claireview location has the tomahawk on sale. $20 off per pack between June 16 and June 18 (ends today)
Newbie
Nov 12, 2018
36 posts
25 upvotes
These looked too nice to leave in Clareview today
Images
  • IMG_20200618_135445.jpg
Newbie
Dec 7, 2016
77 posts
60 upvotes
Lostx403 wrote: Anyone in Calgary see any of the strip loin packs? Called Okotoks and Deerfoot meadows locations but no dice
Ya Im really interested in getting the strip loin in Calgary too. I've only seen the tomahawks.

Top