Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Costco whole Striploin $23.99/kg plus $30 in store rebate July 30 to August 2

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 10:38 am
Nov 3, 2010
849 posts
776 upvotes
mawzi wrote: How do you guys sous vide striploin?

Temperature and time?

Salt before vacuum, or after cooking?

I like my steak medium rare, but I'm cooking for others who prefer it a little more dine. What's the highest temperature I can get away with without losing too much juices?
Go for 135 - 140 for 1-2 hours for medium, 130 for medium rare.

I prefer to dry brine it, which means giving it a good amount of salt anywhere from 1 hour - 24 hours before you actually sous vide it and letting it sit in the fridge.
Oct 13, 2009
735 posts
336 upvotes
Edmonton
bluewish wrote: What a waste for all the draining and trimming that you've done. Those meat/ fat can be used for a delicious Vietnamese noodle soup. I have wagyu for steak so this is good for hot pot, noodle soup or stir fried.
The trimmed meat is definitely used but I get more than enough fat trimmings from the packer briskets.
Ha, if you have Wagyu, than this stuff is probably like sirloin tip for you.
May 27, 2008
472 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
PatcheZ wrote: Just grabbed one of these from Edmonton South today ~6.6 kg @$22/kg before the coupon. After draining and trimming the meat, weighed it and ended up with the steaks portion costing around $26/kg + a small meat portion for stew.

Steaks look decently marbled, but value wise it's really YMMV depending on size of fat cap, other non edibles, and non steak-ables portion.

Not sure it was necessarily worth getting the packer vs buying the smaller packs for similar price/weight.
Too bad I missed this! :( Thanks for the great feedback.

I've been personally buying the full striploin for a quite a few years now. I prefer it for a few reasons:

I get to portion, vacuum pack and freeze based on my family's needs.
It gives me an excuse to use my knives
I can cut to my desired thickness
And possibly the most important -The individual steaks (3 pack) Costco sells at least at my local at least, are mechanically tenderized. Sous vide this may not be as big of a deal, but I always BBQ my striploin.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11178 posts
4438 upvotes
93srvman wrote: Too bad I missed this! :( Thanks for the great feedback.

I've been personally buying the full striploin for a quite a few years now. I prefer it for a few reasons:

I get to portion, vacuum pack and freeze based on my family's needs.
It gives me an excuse to use my knives
I can cut to my desired thickness
And possibly the most important -The individual steaks (3 pack) Costco sells at least at my local at least, are mechanically tenderized. Sous vide this may not be as big of a deal, but I always BBQ my striploin.
never considered buying the full striploin, what knives do you use?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
May 27, 2008
472 posts
385 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: never considered buying the full striploin, what knives do you use?
The bigger (longer) knife the better, or else you may need a couple passes especially if it's not sharp.

I'll use a Victorinox 12" slicer and then Yoshimi Kato Gyuto for trimming etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)