• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 12:04 am
May 19, 2005
555 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver/Toronto
gmason86 wrote: Ah, lol. That explains things, thank you :-)

I've seen some mention of the zip ties... Should I be doing that anyway? Or is it just if things start shooting out the hose? Sorry if I'm asking something that's already well known.
No, no. Don't need to unscrew anything. I was looking for possible cause of noise issue.
I had a dud. Lol
Daydreaming about the food in Richmond, B.c.. I miss that place :) :cry:
Apr 6, 2020
36 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
toyfountain500 wrote: test

edit: Something bizarre is happening to this thread. New posts are bring made but it stays buried deep in the pages. It does not move up to the first page as usual. It's not in the expired posts.
Its moved to the ongoing deal discussion sub forum. Posts bump it to the top of that as expected
Nov 3, 2008
290 posts
166 upvotes
Vancouver
ekulzz wrote: I just picked up a cheap meat thermometer, they had nothing else at london drugs. The temperature reads less than 1C colder when I put it directly infront of the ac.
IMG_20210717_211409.jpg
IMG_20210717_212145.jpg
Should I be contacting Danby directly or going through costco?
In cool mode you don’t need a thermometer to know it’s spewing very cold air. I would return it to Costco. It’s too new to already get opened up by Danby. Unless Danby can send a straight up replacement.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25732 upvotes
Montreal
ekulzz wrote: (...) Should I be contacting Danby directly or going through costco?
oneframe wrote: (...) I would return it to Costco. It’s too new to already get opened up by Danby. Unless Danby can send a straight up replacement.
I would also return it to Costco. Danby might send you a technician to repair it but you would have a repaired unit instead of a new one. If it broke once, it might break again. Maybe it's a "built on a Friday afternoon" unit; a lemon.

I guarantee you, Costco won't be surprised at another return.

Pain in the butt though to repack it, haul it back, bring back a new one.
Mar 4, 2006
443 posts
501 upvotes
qpoqpo wrote: Anecdotal but after running it for 6-7 hours in cool only mode over the last two days there hasn't been any water coming out of either of the two drain ports every time I've checked (I'm paranoid about water damaging hardwood). Room humidity is around 50% according to my smart thermostat. I'm located in the GVRD area and outdoor temperatures have been pretty mild lately. The room temperature when the AC is off is around 26-27C.
Hmm yesterday I had to drain the unit twice in around 5 hours. Maybe humidity is higher than previous days? I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Jan 20, 2008
2 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Just want to say thanks - ordered two units on Jul8th when they stock online. Received Jul16th. No issues on both units. We used to have 3 portable Sharp units from 10+ years ago. These portable units have come a LONG way. The Sharp units were loud even though at that time - they were one of the quietest units in the market. These Danby units are very efficient and actually quiet (compared to the old Sharp units we had). Very impressed with the performance of the Danby. Nothing has changed - these portable units are HEAVY.
Feb 9, 2017
29 posts
62 upvotes
findmesumdealz wrote: Okay, with the fan lower, here is a better video of the high pitched noise the machine makes - is it normal?
It's within spec. Inverter makes a slightly high pitch noise when running. My LG inverter fridge also has this high pitch.

BTW my danby also makes this high pitch but the fan usually drones it out.
Apr 6, 2020
36 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks all. Called my local Costco and they said my only option is to return it - they can't guarantee any more deliveries will come in nor can they hold one for an exchange if some does come in.

In the meantime I've contacted Danby support to see if I can get it repaired. I'd rather hold onto it with the chance of having it working again rather than having nothing at all. I'm also back to running the Distill extension to try and pick up another one but not very hopeful, seems like stock isn't coming back as often anymore!
Jul 8, 2021
52 posts
83 upvotes
BC
Question...

If an unopened unused unit
that was delivered by UPS,
is returned to a Costco warehouse,
would that unit be available immediately
for another Costco member to purchase?

Could someone come with you while returning . and then purchase it on the spot?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2059 posts
3876 upvotes
ekulzz wrote: Thanks all. Called my local Costco and they said my only option is to return it - they can't guarantee any more deliveries will come in nor can they hold one for an exchange if some does come in.

In the meantime I've contacted Danby support to see if I can get it repaired. I'd rather hold onto it with the chance of having it working again rather than having nothing at all. I'm also back to running the Distill extension to try and pick up another one but not very hopeful, seems like stock isn't coming back as often anymore!
True for Costco summer stuff is pretty much over. Don't they start stocking Halloween stuff in Aug?
Jan 15, 2007
139 posts
46 upvotes
ekulzz wrote: Thanks all. Called my local Costco and they said my only option is to return it - they can't guarantee any more deliveries will come in nor can they hold one for an exchange if some does come in.

@ekulzz Are you in Vancouver? I have 2 shipments coming which I plan to refuse. I ordered these when my first order showed only “Label Created” and no progress. But my first order did finally arrive. Let me know if you want my extra air conditioner(s).
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
2259 posts
755 upvotes
Vancouver
babybear wrote: @ekulzz Are you in Vancouver? I have 2 shipments coming which I plan to refuse. I ordered these when my first order showed only “Label Created” and no progress. But my first order did finally arrive. Let me know if you want my extra air conditioner(s).
how much are you selling that? I might be interested also in vancouver. PM me.
Apr 6, 2020
36 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
babybear wrote: @ekulzz Are you in Vancouver? I have 2 shipments coming which I plan to refuse. I ordered these when my first order showed only “Label Created” and no progress. But my first order did finally arrive. Let me know if you want my extra air conditioner(s).
Very interested thank you! DM'ing you
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Hughcorkie wrote: Question...

If an unopened unused unit
that was delivered by UPS,
is returned to a Costco warehouse,
would that unit be available immediately
for another Costco member to purchase?

Could someone come with you while returning . and then purchase it on the spot?
Nope, opened or not (because Costco can't be 100% sure it wasn't opened and neatly repacked for whatever reason) they won't put it back to inventory (or so they claimed).
Mar 5, 2017
313 posts
255 upvotes
vancouver

Did you ever try taking the fan off the auto setting?
Just in case there is a glitch based on the shortcut function on the remote.
The manual says the following - especially the default 29c mode -

SHORTCUT FUNCTION
The shortcut function can be used to save a favourite
setting.
To set a favourite, set the appliance to the desired
temperature and fan speed. Press and hold the
shortcut button for 2 seconds. Press the shortcut
button at any point in future to return to the
favourite setting.
If no favourite is set, pressing the shortcut button will
cause the appliance to run in auto mode at 29°C
(79°F), with fan speed set to auto.
The shortcut function is only available on the remote
control.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1056 posts
111 upvotes
Mine arrived.

Dumb question. Has anyone successfully been able to cool 3 room by say placing it in one and using ducting to route cool air to other two.

Yes it's MacGyver time
Nov 4, 2015
9 posts
Vancouver, BC
I have 2 extra which just arrived. I plan to return. DM me know if anyone want my extra air conditioner(s) at reasonable price
Jul 8, 2021
52 posts
83 upvotes
BC
I have an extra one I will sell at cost.
Never opened.
Its located at my workplace on annacis Island

If no takers, I will return it to Costco Richmond warehouse in Bridgeport

We thought we'd need 2 units for 780sq ft, but forgot that also includes the closets and laundry etc.

1 unit works great

EDIT: - 08:00PST, 19JUL2021
Unit potentially going to 1 person, with 1 other waiting
Last edited by Hughcorkie on Jul 19th, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 6, 2020
36 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
antibucks wrote: Did you ever try taking the fan off the auto setting?
Just in case there is a glitch based on the shortcut function on the remote.
The manual says the following - especially the default 29c mode -

SHORTCUT FUNCTION
The shortcut function can be used to save a favourite
setting.
To set a favourite, set the appliance to the desired
temperature and fan speed. Press and hold the
shortcut button for 2 seconds. Press the shortcut
button at any point in future to return to the
favourite setting.
If no favourite is set, pressing the shortcut button will
cause the appliance to run in auto mode at 29°C
(79°F), with fan speed set to auto.
The shortcut function is only available on the remote
control.
Good suggestion, just tried it out and I don't believe it was on the shortcut function. This is what i see on the remote when I have it set to cool with auto fan. I can also change the fan speed and the temperature of the air being put out won't change.
IMG_20210718_155927.jpg
Mar 5, 2017
313 posts
255 upvotes
vancouver
ekulzz wrote: Good suggestion, just tried it out and I don't believe it was on the shortcut function. This is what i see on the remote when I have it set to cool with auto fan. I can also change the fan speed and the temperature of the air being put out won't change.

IMG_20210718_155927.jpg
I had to mention it just in case. Now I don't have any more ideas.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)