Hot Deals

Costco

Danby 12,000 BTU SACC portable air conditioner DUAL HOSE $599 in store / $639 online

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 5:07 am
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
So I just gave it a go - immediately there was some ringing/flapping sound from around the back bottom area, but it also seemed to go away? Is there some normal "startup" or "mode switch" of the compressor or other part that might make some additional noise for 5-10s?

It stopped before I could try to locate the sound or record it
Mar 4, 2006
423 posts
484 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: So I just gave it a go - immediately there was some ringing/flapping sound from around the back bottom area, but it also seemed to go away? Is there some normal "startup" or "mode switch" of the compressor or other part that might make some additional noise for 5-10s?

I would let it run for a while to see if you get errors telling you to empty the water tray. Last year the first one I got would only run for like 3 hours before condensation built up and the cooling turned off until I emptied some water. The replacement I got never had any errors.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
Kaitlyn wrote: So I just gave it a go - immediately there was some ringing/flapping sound from around the back bottom area, but it also seemed to go away? Is there some normal "startup" or "mode switch" of the compressor or other part that might make some additional noise for 5-10s?

It might be fine. "sound from around the back bottom area" is the compressor starting. There is no "mode switch" or special start-up. If that noise comes back every time you start the unit, I would contact Danby customer service for advice. You respected the 6-hour wait period, right?
Aug 24, 2018
513 posts
238 upvotes
Langley BC
Expired, but I guess we are all looking for some good A/C again ...... so here we are !
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
So here's a quick video I took of mine - the visuals mean nothing, just moving phone around to capture the clicking sound. It seems to come on and off. It doesn't sound like it's trying to break itself apart (like I've seen other reviews reference?) but that clicking noise is absolutely noticeable and seems unintended

https://imgur.com/a/9Z2rPwi
Aug 24, 2018
513 posts
238 upvotes
Langley BC
So otherwise quiet, but it does sounds like a fan catching on something a bit.
Kaitlyn wrote: So here's a quick video I took of mine - the visuals mean nothing, just moving phone around to capture the clicking sound. It seems to come on and off. It doesn't sound like it's trying to break itself apart (like I've seen other reviews reference?) but that clicking noise is absolutely noticeable and seems unintended

https://imgur.com/a/9Z2rPwi
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1910 posts
636 upvotes
Vancouver
any stock in Vancouver so far ? Getting the time to get into buying an air conditioner.. is this danby model kinda outdated though?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
What8ever8left wrote: So otherwise quiet, but it does sounds like a fan catching on something a bit.
:( I'm definitely not particularly interested in taking it apart and figuring out what's getting caught. Would I just rebuy when I see stock and return this? Or does costco have exchange program?

And how does return/exchange even work? Do they pick it up or what? Big and heavy!
Jul 26, 2016
246 posts
133 upvotes
I had Costco pick up and bring a new lawnmower. Best bet is to call the support line and see what they say.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
What8ever8left wrote: So otherwise quiet, but it does sounds like a fan catching on something a bit.
I agree, the fan is off balance or catching on something. Does it make a difference when you switch the fan to High or Low?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
Temporel wrote: I agree, the fan is off balance or catching on something. Does it make a difference when you switch the fan to High or Low?
It doesn't seem directly related to the fan speed, but whatever is down there spinning up. I'm GUESSING that at the lower speeds its "flapping" it but at a higher speed it's happening so quickly that the sound is not really perceived.

Ugh.
Dec 30, 2006
20 posts
1 upvote
pentexplorer wrote: any stock in Vancouver so far ? Getting the time to get into buying an air conditioner.. is this danby model kinda outdated though?
There are maybe about 10 units at Costco Brighton in Burnaby. I saw them pull two skids near the cashiers. Good luck.
Aug 29, 2006
43 posts
28 upvotes
pentexplorer wrote: any stock in Vancouver so far ? Getting the time to get into buying an air conditioner.. is this danby model kinda outdated though?
Still creek said last night there’s 35 coming in but there’s only 8 in stock. There’s 6 people in line.

Richmond says 52 coming in but none came in.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1555 posts
254 upvotes
looking to get a portable AC unit for the inlaws in northern Ontario where it gets hot and humid.

do ventless ACs work or are they just gloried fans?

thank you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
6270 posts
6698 upvotes
Edmonton
crustydragon wrote: looking to get a portable AC unit for the inlaws in northern Ontario where it gets hot and humid.

do ventless ACs work or are they just gloried fans?

thank you.
There's no such thing as a ventless AC. The way an AC works is it exhausts hot air outside. A ventless AC would not only not work, but it would actually create more heat because the heat from the electricity to run it would be put into the air.
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12630 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
picked this up from Costco, looks like got bunch of units in.

I am looking at reviews on Costco website but seems like there are issues with it
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Oct 6, 2018
84 posts
92 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: It doesn't seem directly related to the fan speed, but whatever is down there spinning up. I'm GUESSING that at the lower speeds its "flapping" it but at a higher speed it's happening so quickly that the sound is not really perceived.

Ugh.
Hi Kaitlyn..... go checkout page 24 of this tread, the message with timestamp "Jun 8th, 2021 12:17 pm"
There's a picture where someone found some zip-tie pieces stuck against a grate and flapping around making clicking noises.
May 8, 2013
127 posts
123 upvotes
Windsor
Aznkid2000 wrote: picked this up from Costco, looks like got bunch of units in.

I am looking at reviews on Costco website but seems like there are issues with it
What I remember from last years sale is that most of these reviews come from damage during shipping or people putting it into auto mode and it just leaking all over the place. The compressor whine which I thought was an issue but is apparent in all the units the one I personally picked up have had zero issues besides once leaking when we had a TON of high humid days but I just drained the unit and put it in a drip tray and never had issues again.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
rstocksfu763730 wrote: Hi Kaitlyn..... go checkout page 24 of this tread, the message with timestamp "Jun 8th, 2021 12:17 pm"
There's a picture where someone found some zip-tie pieces stuck against a grate and flapping around making clicking noises.
Argh! You gave me hope! No zip ties but it did give me the ability to look inside more easily. I turned it on without the whole hose attached and still couldn't quite make out exactly what was making the sound. I did notice the compressor or whatever had some movement to it, but I somehow think that's normal. Maybe?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
sealtest wrote: What I remember from last years sale is that most of these reviews come from damage during shipping or people putting it into auto mode and it just leaking all over the place. The compressor whine which I thought was an issue but is apparent in all the units the one I personally picked up have had zero issues besides once leaking when we had a TON of high humid days but I just drained the unit and put it in a drip tray and never had issues again.
Wait this "compressor whine" is what I think I'm experiencing. You're saying it's quite common... but I haven't seemed to come across any mention of this before experiencing it myself :(

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

ingradrameriz, Zaraki, mackit