Hot Deals

Costco

Danby 12,000 BTU SACC portable air conditioner DUAL HOSE $599 in store / $639 online

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 5:07 am
Mar 27, 2019
58 posts
61 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote: How's the HD return policy compared to costco ? If I get it from HD and don't like it, do I have only 14 days to return or is it 30 days ?
HD has a pretty good return policy. 90 days. Even if opened.
Mar 5, 2017
192 posts
134 upvotes
vancouver
So this is the 14,000BTU thread from last year. (I bought the 12000BTU last year which was faulty and when the 14000 was in stock I bought it and returned the 12000)

Here's a link for a/c noises. It doesn't mention the condensate pump that sprays water onto the coils which can make a few different sounds. Pinging, rumbling etc. It's from LG.

And speaking of vent-less (aka swamp coolers) for low humidity areas

Nov 4, 2012
784 posts
286 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Not a good deal: half the power for 80% of the price.

SACC 7,000 BTU versus 12,000 BTU for the Danby.

If you have a problem, CT customer support is terrible when compared to Costco. I bet they would tell you to deal with the manufacturer.
You could be right but sometimes when your bedroom is a sauna you don't wanna think too much.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
tegvari wrote: Leon's has the Midea dual hose on for $700. Pre-order with stock coming in end of May.
https://www.leons.ca/products/midea-140 ... 8100686894
Wait is this the “updated” model? I’d be verrryyy tempted to pay $60 more for newer model with heat pump especially.

Of course, Leon’s hassle/returns vs Costco. I don’t even live near a Leon’s - any idea how they are with returns/exchanges/etc.?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4735 posts
1633 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Kaitlyn wrote: Wait is this the “updated” model? I’d be verrryyy tempted to pay $60 more for newer model with heat pump especially.

Of course, Leon’s hassle/returns vs Costco. I don’t even live near a Leon’s - any idea how they are with returns/exchanges/etc.?
The Brick owns Leon's, they bought them out a few years ago. That's a clue for their return policy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
fergy wrote: The Brick owns Leon's, they bought them out a few years ago. That's a clue for their return policy.
... meaning? I'm not familiar with either. :)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
90210Franchise wrote: Is this a "good" product? Never purchased an AC before. https://www.lowes.ca/product/portable-a ... lsrc=aw.ds
No. Terrible when compared to the Danby from this thread. Start reading the thread from the top.

When the product highlights starts with 4 casters, it tells a lot... Run away!
Last edited by Temporel on May 14th, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
fergy wrote: The Brick owns Leon's, they bought them out a few years ago. That's a clue for their return policy.
For better or worse that means nothing to me haha

Not sure I’ve ever shopped at either
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4735 posts
1633 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
fergy wrote:
The Brick owns Leon's, they bought them out a few years ago. That's a clue for their return policy.
Temporel wrote:
... meaning? I'm not familiar with either. :)
Kaitlyn wrote: For better or worse that means nothing to me haha

Not sure I’ve ever shopped at either
Leon's
What is your return policy?
All sales are final. However if you discover concealed damage you have 72 hours to report it. Just call the customer service department of the Leon's store nearest you.
Mar 27, 2019
58 posts
61 upvotes
fergy wrote: Leon's
What is your return policy?
All sales are final. However if you discover concealed damage you have 72 hours to report it. Just call the customer service department of the Leon's store nearest you.
Wait What....????
What happens after we Report?????
Nov 23, 2018
524 posts
673 upvotes
Underground Bunker
Does all these air conditioners make whining noise when cold is coming ? This is the second Danby that does the same thing. Almost like there are crickets inside of it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5713 posts
1947 upvotes
Toronto
I’m confused. This appears to be a terrible a/c due to quality control and issues with delivery. Is there someone who bought one and is actually happy with it? Just bought a $229 5000BTU rosewill for a tiny room but will need another our larger bedroom. Wait for this guy?
Jun 2, 2005
245 posts
79 upvotes
milhaus wrote: I’m confused. This appears to be a terrible a/c due to quality control and issues with delivery. Is there someone who bought one and is actually happy with it? Just bought a $229 5000BTU rosewill for a tiny room but will need another our larger bedroom. Wait for this guy?
I bought 2 from Costco recently, shipped to my place. Finally had a chance to open both units, no damage. Plugged each in, takes a few minutes to start generating cold air but once it starts there is plenty of cooling. Fans whirl nice and smooth. Didn't test it long enough to let the fan speed drop automatically but lowered it manually and can tell the units will be much quieter if it gets a chance to cool your room and lower its output. I can see how some might have physically damaged units as the styrofoam isn't that thick and was moderately busted up in the box. Definitely test them out but I have two shipped units that at least seem to work perfectly, after a quick test. We will see what happens this summer
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2190 posts
520 upvotes
what's the best way to hook up a hose to a casement window ? Is there a kit to purchase ? Any tips ? Is this something a handyman should be hired for ?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11169 posts
1288 upvotes
GVR
sylvestor2002 wrote: what's the best way to hook up a hose to a casement window ? Is there a kit to purchase ? Any tips ? Is this something a handyman should be hired for ?
I THINK basically the only way is to get those full coverage Velcro-in panels that have an opening for the hose to fit through. Definitely not as clean or insulated as multi-paned windows
Jun 28, 2021
263 posts
395 upvotes
milhaus wrote: I’m confused. This appears to be a terrible a/c due to quality control and issues with delivery. Is there someone who bought one and is actually happy with it? Just bought a $229 5000BTU rosewill for a tiny room but will need another our larger bedroom. Wait for this guy?
I bought this model last year and I'm happy with it. It puts out a lot of cold air and rapidly cooled my bedroom whenever I ran it. It also doesn't pull hot air into the apartment since it has the dual hose system. I turned it off when I went to sleep, though, because it's pretty noisy.

I think it's a good choice if you have to get a portable AC (rather than a window unit).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
8885 posts
15904 upvotes
Montreal
I bought one and I'm very happy with it. Compared to my previous Danby from 5 years ago, they have reduced the noise level significantly. By definition, portable A/C are noisier than split models because the compressor is inside. But with this new variable speed inverter technology, at the lowest fan settings, I could almost endure it in my bedroom. (I'm a very light sleeper). There's no "kaboum!" when the compressor starts/stops; it slowly ramp-up and once it's cool enough, it slowly shuts down: big improvement!

For the interior fan, they switched from a noisy rotary fan to an axial fan: another improvement there.

As for the quality control, it's true that many got duds last year and had to bother with a return. But Costco sold thousands of these units. The ones who got no problem, like me, tend to be silent about it while the ones who got duds bitch about it everywhere.

In the end, it's a lottery. But consider it's Costco with its no question asked return policy. Just be mindful when you unpack it that you might have to exchange it. So slide the 4 straps off the box carefully, wait 6 hours before plugging it. Remember how it's packaged. Test it for a few minutes without the hose installed before you start cutting panels and ripping bags... just in case.

If you win the lottery, you get a powerful, quiet, energy efficient smart machine at a good price.
Last edited by Temporel on May 15th, 2022 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 3 guests)

ingradrameriz, Zaraki, purpleduck, mackit