Ongoing Deal Discussion

Costco

Danby 12,000 BTU SACC portable air conditioner DUAL HOSE $550 in-store / $590 online

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 12:04 am
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4409 posts
10632 upvotes

[Costco] Danby 12,000 BTU SACC portable air conditioner DUAL HOSE $550 in-store / $590 online

What makes this a special deal is these are dual hose which Costco has not offered for a while (last few years have been single hose). These are also "inverter" units and are rated at 12,000 SACC which is the highest rating for any dual hose I can find. It outperforms the Whytner 14k by a lot.

These go in and out of stock frequently, they are very popular. Stock is limited.

Online: https://www.costco.ca/danby-14%2c000-bt ... 15465.html

-------------

IF YOU BUY THIS UNIT, READ THIS:

DO NOT USE AUTO MODE! If you use "Auto" mode, the A/C will cycle between "Cool" and "Dehumidify" mode. There is no auto-evaporation in "Dehumidify" mode. You are supposed to use the top drain of the A/C to evacuate the water in a bucket. If you don't do that, the water will pool at the bottom of the A/C and eventually the pan will get full and a the A/C will stop with a "P1" error. You would then have to empty the A/C from the bottom drain. Instead, I prefer to set mine to "COOL MODE" and then set my temperature to 16 degrees (to start). I also prefer to set my "Fan" setting to the highest level, but this is not necessary.

Once you have done this, the air blowing out of the unit should be extremely cold (almost uncomfortably cold) and the unit should not cycle on and off. If it does, there is something wrong with it. This unit should easily cool any bedroom or a small apartment sufficiently. It cools my entire 600 sqft apartment to 18-20 degrees even when it is 35 degrees outside. So if you are having performance issues, please ensure you followed the above directions before sending the unit back.
Last edited by adamtheman on Aug 16th, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Thread Summary
10000 BTU one $489 in store:
https://www.costco.ca/danby-10%2C000-bt ... 58548.html

The Toshiba one (Same with Media/Danby) with heater for $649 (NOT refurb):
https://www.princessauto.com/en/toshiba ... 0009150202

Tips for the workaround of the compress start noise issue:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... #p36349585

Advice from a user on how to operate this A/C in a quiet way

06/13/2021: Manuals:
The Danby manual.
The Midea manual.

07/14/2022: How to pair with Google Home:
aasoror wrote: Yup you can set it up with Google home (or even no assistant at all and just use app natively).
First install the midea app (Android or iOS). (create a new user account, and verify it by clicking the link in the registration email), pair the AC with your phone app (p.s. you must have a 2.4Ghz network for the pairing to work).
Then open Google Home app (Android or iOS), add new device -> works with Google -> midea Air, you will then be required to sign in your midea account and authorize the linkage.
06/05/2021: How to pair with Alexa:
aasoror wrote: 1- Phone: go to playstore and install the midea app (create a new user account, and verify it by clicking the link in the registration email), pair the AC with your phone app (p.s. you must have a 2.4Ghz network for the pairing to work).
2- Desktop: change your amazon account "content and devices" region (from the amazon.ca website) to the US.
3- Desktop: open the skill page https://www.amazon.ca/Midea-Air-Smart-H ... 07DDKB34F/, enable it and link your midea account.
4. Phone: restart alexa app on your phone and discover devices, you should find the AC there.
5. Desktop: optional: revert "content and devices" region back (from the amazon.com website) to CA, though you might miss out on skill updates.

There is no need to create an account with Danby, install the Danby app, or mess up with the regions on any of your Alexa devices.

Good luck!
toyfountain500 wrote: Le climatiseur est nommé « DAN ». Substituer le nom choisi de votre climatiseur.
Alexa ouvre DAN
Alexa ferme DAN
Alexa modifie DAN à mode automatique
Alexa modifie DAN à mode refroidissement
Alexa modifie DAN à 18
Alexa quel est le réglage de DAN
Alexa quel est la température de DAN
toyfountain500 wrote: Where the air conditioner is named “AIR CONDITIONER”. Substitute the chosen name of your unit.
Alexa turn on AIR CONDITIONER
Alexa turn off AIR CONDITIONER
Alexa shut down AIR CONDITIONER
Alexa set AIR CONDITIONER mode to auto
Alexa set AIR CONDITIONER mode to cool
Alexa set AIR CONDITIONER to auto
Alexa set AIR CONDITIONER to cool
Alexa what is the AIR CONDITIONER mode
Alexa set AIR CONDITIONER to 18
Alexa what is the AIR CONDITIONER temperature
Alexa what is the AIR CONDITIONER set at
Alexa set the AIR CONDITIONER to Fahrenheit (says degrees in Fahrenheit, display unaffected)
Alexa set the AIR CONDITIONER to Celsius (says degrees in Celsius, display unaffected)
Alexa, increase the AIR CONDITIONER temperature by 1 degrees. (tested it up to 5 degrees)
Alexa, decrease the AIR CONDITIONER temperature by 2 degrees.

If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best portable air conditioners!
6092 replies
Apr 26, 2003
997 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting hose design but it seems like that it would allow the outgoing air to heat the incoming air. Also, it means you cannot insulate the exhaust hose like a seperate hose system.
Feb 17, 2018
163 posts
185 upvotes
AnimeEd wrote: Interesting hose design but it seems like that it would allow the outgoing air to heat the incoming air. Also, it means you cannot insulate the exhaust hose like a seperate hose system.
Dual hose models are much more efficient.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5262 posts
2268 upvotes
Vancouver
Strange.... the model number cited - Model DPA120B9IBDB-6 - brings up 12,000 btu models when searched.

That is indeed an odd hose arrangement. With our 11 year old dual hose Danby the hot and cold are separated by about 6+ inches on the window insert.

Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12716 posts
25640 upvotes
Montreal
NewsyL wrote: Strange.... the model number cited - Model DPA120B9IBDB-6 - brings up 12,000 btu models when searched.

That is indeed an odd hose arrangement. With our 11 year old dual hose Danby the hot and cold are separated by about 6+ inches on the window insert.
No mistake. 12,000 BTU is SACC (Seasonally Adjusted Cooling Capacity) while 14,000 BTU is the nominal rating.

PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONERS GET NEW ENERGY GUIDE LABELS
Last edited by Temporel on May 28th, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12716 posts
25640 upvotes
Montreal
jarrodrporter wrote: Dual hose models are much more efficient.
That's what we've been told for a long time.
But it turns out there are inefficient dual hoses and there are efficient single hose.
In the following review, the most efficient is a single hose LG model.
I don't know about you but I would still hesitate before buying a single hose model.
Wouldn't that highly efficient LG single hose model be even more efficient if it was dual hose? Thinking Face

Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12716 posts
25640 upvotes
Montreal
AnimeEd wrote: Interesting hose design but it seems like that it would allow the outgoing air to heat the incoming air. Also, it means you cannot insulate the exhaust hose like a seperate hose system.
You could insulate the whole hose if you want, with a blanket for example.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4409 posts
10632 upvotes
Furtive wrote: Already out of stock.
From what I have seen, it has never been in stock online. They added it a couple weeks ago and it has been OOS since. However, they now have stock in-stores and I assume online stock should kick-in in a few days. So keep an eye on it.
Aug 18, 2010
117 posts
190 upvotes
toronto
I think the dual hose is better on this forum is a bit overplayed

Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
2045 posts
2018 upvotes
Winnipeg
alistairsmith148 wrote: I think the dual hose is better on this forum is a bit overplayed

Interesting video, thanks. Looks like the Costco unit is pretty efficient at 12,000 SACC BTUs.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4409 posts
10632 upvotes
This site has an interesting article on Portable AC's and SACC: https://www.consumeranalysis.com/guides ... nditioner/

Well worth a read. It says all the top AC's only actually have 7,500 to 10,000 SACC. This unit is an "inverter" unit which I wonder if is why it is so efficient. Can't wait to set it up and give it a test run on a hot day.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1499 posts
2391 upvotes
Hammonds
adamtheman wrote: This site has an interesting article on Portable AC's and SACC: https://www.consumeranalysis.com/guides ... nditioner/

Well worth a read. It says all the top AC's only actually have 7,500 to 10,000 SACC. This unit is an "inverter" unit which I wonder if is why it is so efficient. Can't wait to set it up and give it a test run on a hot day.
Interesting to see the ARC-14S, which iirc is a dual hose model, is NOT recommended...
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4409 posts
10632 upvotes
So I set up my A/C tonight even though it's not that hot out and I have to say I am blown away by everything about it. This is the 5th portable A/C I've ever owned. I owned 2 double hose units and 2 single hose units. The quality and design of this unit blows those out of the water. All the hardware included with it, from window fittings to foam is high quality, strong, even beautifully polished black. Even the manual is printed on thick paper. It feels like a luxury item. Right away I can tell this thing pumps out way more cool air than any previous unit and it is much quieter. They include an adaptor for side sliding windows which means you don't have to bend the hoses. You know how with a traditional dual hose, if you wanted to put them top/bottom, you had to sort of bend them over one another? Not with this one. Makes for an incredibly clean design. It also has lots of other smart features I haven't really gotten into, like voice controls apparently. And it has a "Follow me" feature which records the temperature of the room based on where the remote control is, not where the unit is. This was always a sore spot with me with my old units. My A/C would kick off at 16 (lowest I could set it) but the middle of the room was still like 22. Now the A/C will keep running until it gets the area you want cooled down to 16. I highly HIGHLY recommend this unit to anyone. I think at $499 this is an absolute steal for the quality. Here's some photos I took:

Aug 19, 2007
100 posts
56 upvotes
Any chance of it coming online, can’t buy in store in Ontario!
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2306 posts
3008 upvotes
danit, bought the half priced single hose one end of summer last year.

i want this dual hose
-------------------
Rogers mobile + internet
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4409 posts
10632 upvotes
Just to clear up some confusion, some people messaged me and asked me where the 2nd hose is. Both "hoses" are located inside that single hose in the photo above. So that is the only hose you need to exit through the window. Pretty slick design.
Aug 15, 2017
80 posts
21 upvotes
Vancouver
If anyone has luck getting the app setup for smart control, can you let me know what I'm doing wrong? This is the second Danby unit I can't get to complete their in-app setup...
Nov 6, 2013
409 posts
279 upvotes
Bansal wrote: If anyone has luck getting the app setup for smart control, can you let me know what I'm doing wrong? This is the second Danby unit I can't get to complete their in-app setup...
I just did exactly what each step said. The final one (with the loading percentage) failed a couple times but eventually went through. Can turn on/off the AC from anywhere and anytime, so comfortable!
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12716 posts
25640 upvotes
Montreal
adamtheman wrote: (...) They include an adaptor for side sliding windows which means you don't have to bend the hoses. You know how with a traditional dual hose, if you wanted to put them top/bottom, you had to sort of bend them over one another? Not with this one. Makes for an incredibly clean design. It also has lots of other smart features I haven't really gotten into, like voice controls apparently. And it has a "Follow me" feature which records the temperature of the room based on where the remote control is, not where the unit is. This was always a sore spot with me with my old units. My A/C would kick off at 16 (lowest I could set it) but the middle of the room was still like 22. Now the A/C will keep running until it gets the area you want cooled down to 16. (...)
If you can/want, you could put the unit closer to the wall to shorten the hose even more. That would make it even more efficient at cooling the condenser.

What would be neat is if the "Follow me" function would be the A/C actually following you around in the house. Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by Temporel on Jul 6th, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)