• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 12:04 am
May 6, 2014
159 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aasoror wrote: Glad to know it worked, thanks for the update.

By the way for such a big item you can always arrange a UPS curbside pickup from your place so you don't need to haul it back to their location.
Ah, I didn't know this, that would be super convenient then! Btw, I just got a shipping label for my replacement unit.
I just love Costco!
May 6, 2014
159 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
blort128 wrote: Is there a installation video/ instruction? Never installed AC before
I find the kit that comes with the unit is very shitty and a pain in the butt to setup, so I just bought this kit off Amazon, and the whole thing took like 5 mins to install, and look much nicer and sturdier.
Last edited by Alexios07 on Aug 18th, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Alexios07 wrote: I find the kit that comes with the unit if very shitty and a pain in the butt to setup, so I just bought this kit off Amazon, and the whole thing took like 5 mins to install, and look much nicer and sturdier.
Absolutely hate the window kit/super cheap clips. Does the zipper on that one open enough for the bigger dual hose? And what about actually keeping it snugly closed? I imagine there's gaps, plus the pressure may even continue to force zipper open?
May 6, 2014
159 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kaitlyn wrote: Absolutely hate the window kit/super cheap clips. Does the zipper on that one open enough for the bigger dual hose? And what about actually keeping it snugly closed? I imagine there's gaps, plus the pressure may even continue to force zipper open?
Yep, the dual hose will fit more than fine. They put four zippers on each "hole", so it can hold the dual hose pretty good. Of course it will not be 100% tightly closed, so I utilize the insulation foam that comes with the AC and fill up any air holes.

Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
hadax1 wrote: my box looks damaged/opened before. would it be possible to exchange for a new unit in-store if i purchased online?
Nope, you can only return at store. A box abused in transit doesn't necessarily mean item was used, open it to verify and you can do an online exchange (using the return form on the website) read couple of posts above.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
ProjectPixelation wrote:

Also why you should never have fun on low.... always fixed medium/high (do not use auto temp or auto fans = win)
Cause more air flow = more water expelled
Less air flow = fail
The condenser uses a separate fan and you can't control its speed.
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
so I am reading the threshold for having a dud versus a good unit is that it should be unbearably cold.

I stood infront of the unit full fan and ac only (not auto) and it no doubt blows cool air but it is not unbearably cold. I can stand in front of it dead on.

So do I have a dud?

Also even though not on auto, I see the cooling changes automatically. Like when I started it, it was really cold. 1/2 later it wasn't as cold as I started it. Is that because the nature of the inverter?

I can't judge by room cooling much at this time since my installation is not great and "very leaky" for letting outside air in and cold air out. So only judging by standing head on in front of the unit.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I have it set to 17 degrees
Last edited by mythical on Aug 19th, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
3220 posts
565 upvotes
GVA
You should use a thermometer and put it right where the air is coming out, it should measure around 16c so you will know for sure rather than some subjective feel. I personally used a thermometer needle and got that reading
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25725 upvotes
Montreal
LanEvoVII wrote: You should use a thermometer and put it right where the air is coming out, it should measure around 16c so you will know for sure rather than some subjective feel. I personally used a thermometer needle and got that reading
Others up thread have reported 5-10 degrees with a temperature gun at the air exit Not 16.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25725 upvotes
Montreal
mythical wrote: so I am reading the threshold for having a dud versus a good unit is that it should be unbearably cold.

I stood infront of the unit full fan and ac only (not auto) and it no doubt blows cool air but it is not unbearably cold. I can stand in front of it dead on.

So do I have a dud?

Also even though not on auto, I see the cooling changes automatically. Like when I started it, it was really cold. 1/2 later it wasn't as cold as I started it. Is that because the nature of the inverter?

I can't judge by room cooling much at this time since my installation is not great and "very leaky" for letting outside air in and cold air out. So only judging by standing head on in front of the unit.

What do you guys think?
Full fan and cool mode is not enough. To test it, full fan, cool mode AND 16 degrees selected. Because if there is not enough difference between the ambient temperature and the selected one, the compressor will slow down automatically.
Oct 25, 2019
492 posts
212 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Full fan and cool mode is not enough. To test it, full fan, cool mode AND 16 degrees selected. Because if there is not enough difference between the ambient temperature and the selected one, the compressor will slow down automatically.
It is on 17degrees.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25725 upvotes
Montreal
mythical wrote: It is on 17degrees.
Can you post a picture of your installation with the window?
What type of window?
Casement with a small opening?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
aasoror wrote: Might have a faulty unit, while stickered at 11.9A others reported ~13A peak draw which matched my findings (using a smart plug with energy consumption monitoring) so a 15A circuit should be fine even at peak.

I have a clamp meter and bought an AC Line Splitter to measure the amp draw.

I set temp to 18C and then used the Midea app to change the fan speed. I would let the unit run for about 5 minutes in between speed changes to catch where the compressor would kick in as the unit adjusted for the new setting. There is a gradual ramp up and a quicker ramp down.

Here's what I saw:

100% .... ~ 13.9 amps

80% ..... ~ 13.9 amps

70% ..... ~ 13.4 amps

60% ...... ~ 9.0 amps

50% ...... ~ 8.5 amps

40% ...... ~ 3.5 amps

30% ...... ~ 3.5 amps

20% ...... ~ 3.4 amps

go over 60% and it jumps to >13.0 amps.

go over 40% and it jumps to >8.0 amps

FWIW, I did let it run longer than 15 minutes at 100% and in that time it did not kick out the breaker.

Last edited by NewsyL on Aug 20th, 2022 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 31, 2005
312 posts
53 upvotes
Austin Powers
Well I received the second unit delivered by ups. The unit inside upon opening the box looked like it went through the war. One of the wheel was split in half.

Regardless my original unit is working better. I removed the curtains away from it. If you hinder the airflow even little. It won’t cool well at all. So my suggestion is to keep the curtains well away from the back.
Jul 31, 2005
312 posts
53 upvotes
Austin Powers
Well I received the second unit delivered by ups. The unit inside upon opening the box looked like it went through the war. One of the wheel was split in half.

Regardless my original unit is working better. I removed the curtains away from it. If you hinder the airflow even little. It won’t cool well at all. So my suggestion is to keep the curtains well away from the back.
Aug 26, 2014
130 posts
91 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Unit is on sale at Guelph and Waterloo Costcos for $500, just bought one to return the unit I bought online for 630, since they wont adjust prices to warehouse
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2442 posts
1043 upvotes
Alexios07 wrote: Yep, the dual hose will fit more than fine. They put four zippers on each "hole", so it can hold the dual hose pretty good. Of course it will not be 100% tightly closed, so I utilize the insulation foam that comes with the AC and fill up any air holes.

Where u get this kit? I got one from amazon that velcro to the door frame but it's not as big as this one. I didn't try it yet. Mine only opens the door partial and velcro it
Nov 8, 2012
442 posts
512 upvotes
Burlington, ON
paaji wrote: So instore price is still 629?
Got this for $629 - $130 discount just now at Costco Ancaster. They still had 4 in stock.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)