• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 12:04 am
Jul 1, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
Just purchased the ac and installed on my screen. Small question is the exhaust adapter that separates the exhaust hose and the intake hose a must ? Since it is installed on the screen (Casement window) i am having difficulty attaching it ?

Also, is it possible to use an AC extension cord on the device ? I do see that they do not recommend it

Thx
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12745 posts
25707 upvotes
Montreal
Karim71 wrote: Just purchased the ac and installed on my screen. Small question is the exhaust adapter that separates the exhaust hose and the intake hose a must ? Since it is installed on the screen (Casement window) i am having difficulty attaching it ?

Also, is it possible to use an AC extension cord on the device ? I do see that they do not recommend it

Thx
The divider is not a must. The idea is to prevent as much as possible the hot air exhaust from being sucked back in. But if there's no space, there's no space. You might lose a bit of efficiency. Also, if the casement window doesn't open enough, you might lose efficiency there also as the A/C will have more difficulty cooling the condenser.

It's not recommended but many use an extension cord. Make sure it's relatively short and heavy guage (heavy duty) 14 AWG or bigger. Try to only have the A/C on the circuit.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noma ... 2419p.html
Deal Fanatic
Jun 4, 2012
8345 posts
8885 upvotes
cyberguy69 wrote: I am hesitant. So many bad reviews
It's sold by Costco. If it doesn't work/ you don't like it, just return. If bought online, they will even pick this up for you, no extra cost.

Pretty much risk free for the buyer!
Oct 14, 2014
239 posts
524 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Risk free, but not hassle free.
I bought a dud one in-store last year and had to return to store (pain in the butt - it is HEAVY)
Tried again this year online, and got a working unit. To be fair, if it's working as expected, it's amazing.
It's so so much better than the 12K single hose unit it replaced in the living room. It made a huge difference in the comfort levels in my main floor (and I was able to take the old single hose unit to my basement home office)
Aug 19, 2012
88 posts
72 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I’ve seen mentioned a few times the idea of buying a new unit on sale, and then returning it on an old receipt (keeping the old unit at effectively the sale price). What do people give as a reason for return when they do this? How frowned upon is it by Costco?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
mackit wrote: I’ve seen mentioned a few times the idea of buying a new unit on sale, and then returning it on an old receipt (keeping the old unit at effectively the sale price). What do people give as a reason for return when they do this? How frowned upon is it by Costco?
Unless you're a serial returnee, they couldn't care less especially if it's unopened.
Sep 22, 2014
143 posts
151 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
People are more prone to leaving bad reviews than good reviews. Based on posts in this thread there are some QA issues with the unit. I ordered one when it was on sale a month or so ago and have been pleased with it so far. Definitely going to make life more bearable during heat waves in the years to come!

an in-window box unit would be cheaper and better if allowed in your building.
Otherwise if you own a house, definitely consider just flat out upgrading your home with a heat pump/central air.
Jul 17, 2017
6 posts
5 upvotes
I returned this after buying it last April, had 0 issues with the return.

Always threw P1 after running for 1.5 hr tops, so I had to use the tube+continuous drain with a bucket along with a binder underneath tilting it backwards to get through the summer :/ Worked but annoying and not worth the 700+ after tax.
Jul 21, 2021
95 posts
88 upvotes
rrrob888 wrote: I returned this after buying it last April, had 0 issues with the return.

Always threw P1 after running for 1.5 hr tops, so I had to use the tube+continuous drain with a bucket along with a binder underneath tilting it backwards to get through the summer :/ Worked but annoying and not worth the 700+ after tax.
They didn't question why it was being returned a year and 5 months later?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
mackit wrote: I’ve seen mentioned a few times the idea of buying a new unit on sale, and then returning it on an old receipt (keeping the old unit at effectively the sale price). What do people give as a reason for return when they do this?
Bought one too many
How frowned upon is it by Costco?
They can frown all they want, it's their own return policy, at least it is bnib and will go back to inventory not years old used/broken unit (which they also take no questions asked if they like you enough).
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
qyyqyy wrote: They didn't question why it was being returned a year and 5 months later?
"It's a broken unit" is good enough reason, Costco return policy on small appliances (which portable appliances are regardless of size) is unlimited.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
If you are already here why not take the time to read the reviews on this thread and weigh it against the reviews on Costco's website?
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Basically approaching end of season. Will have to read the manual again but I think they recommend running just the fan for a while to ready it for storage? Any other tips?

Anyone have any good ideas for a bag/cover to slip over it for long-term dust/etc. protection?
Dec 11, 2009
465 posts
417 upvotes
New Westminster
Kaitlyn wrote: Basically approaching end of season. Will have to read the manual again but I think they recommend running just the fan for a while to ready it for storage? Any other tips?

Anyone have any good ideas for a bag/cover to slip over it for long-term dust/etc. protection?
Unscrew the bottom plug over a cookie sheet to ensure no residual water and run fan only mode for better part of a day.

Luxiv Portable Air Conditioner Cover, Gray Portable AC Unit Cover 15 x 18 x 30 Anti-Dust Portable Air Conditioner Storage Bags Protection Cover for Mobile AC (White) https://a.co/d/aqihBfz
Mar 7, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
Abbotsford
Does anyone know if it goes on clearance online? My refurb unit from PA broke and before I return it I'm wanting to buy one from Costco. Will check Brighton and Still Creek later but doubt they have stock left.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12745 posts
25707 upvotes
Montreal
samiams00 wrote: Does anyone know if it goes on clearance online? My refurb unit from PA broke and before I return it I'm wanting to buy one from Costco. Will check Brighton and Still Creek later but doubt they have stock left.
It will. 530 units available ATM.
Aug 19, 2012
88 posts
72 upvotes
VANCOUVER
samiams00 wrote: Does anyone know if it goes on clearance online? My refurb unit from PA broke and before I return it I'm wanting to buy one from Costco. Will check Brighton and Still Creek later but doubt they have stock left.
If you see stock there please let us know. I’m also on the lookout for these in Burnaby/GVRD
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
3222 posts
1908 upvotes
Surrey
mackit wrote: If you see stock there please let us know. I’m also on the lookout for these in Burnaby/GVRD
Brighton has no stock - there were 2 on Friday marked for $497.
Not sure about still creek

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)