• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 12:04 am
Jun 24, 2009
170 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ms G wrote: Hi
If anyone in Vancouver with casement window/crank.
https://associatedplastics.com/featured_items.php
This place makes window kit.
Aslo Thank you to @adamtheman for the post.
Awesome! Do you know the rough cost for a standard: 1/4" thick (6mm) x 48" x 60" sheet, cut to size for the window and with an AC outlet cut? My window is much smaller, but I assume they sell you by the sheet?
Bansal wrote: If anyone has luck getting the app setup for smart control, can you let me know what I'm doing wrong? This is the second Danby unit I can't get to complete their in-app setup...
If you are on Android, then I had a similar problem. Danby just uses the "Midea Air" App, rebranded. The only issue, is Danby is using a really old Midea Air version, which doesn't work the best with the latest versions of Android. If you are having problems with Danby App, you can just switch to "Midea Air" and you will now have a new updated App, that works 100% with ur Danby, and also updated to work on even the latest Android.

Midea Air and Danby both use the same registration account too. I initially created my account with Danby, but when it didn't work, switch to Midea Air, and tried to log in with the Danby Account, and it worked just fine (knew my name and everything I put into the Danby App). LOL. So no need to even register again on the Midea Air App.
Mobile: [Telus EPP $50 (20GB,UnlCanCall,UnlCanText)], [Rogers Corp+VoIP.ms $0+$0.85 (8GB,USRoam,PPUCanCall,PPUCanText)], [Freedom $16.17 (12Month 5GB HOME-416MB,UnlCanCall,UnlIntText)]
Internet: [Can-Com $85 (750/100-UnlData)]
Jun 23, 2008
479 posts
159 upvotes
Anyone have this and know the maximum length of the window kit?
May 19, 2005
555 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver/Toronto
TestAcc wrote: Awesome! Do you know the rough cost for a standard: 1/4" thick (6mm) x 48" x 60" sheet, cut to size for the window and with an AC outlet cut? My window is much smaller, but I assume they sell you by the sheet?
Hi @TestAcc
I'm not sure about thickness of the polycarbonate plastic.
Just called and spoke to a nice man name Roham.
My window is approx 22"w x30"L casement pushout. Asked if he could cut a lil door with hinge at the bottom, so I can flip it up to be able to close window too.
He quoted me for custom, be approx $170 based on all the above.
He say bring the AC hose and the accessories to his shop to laser cut it,and will take a week.
The piece is velcro to window frame.
Best to call Mon to get a quote
Daydreaming about the food in Richmond, B.c.. I miss that place :) :cry:
Nov 6, 2013
410 posts
279 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: I looked at that solution, but my window opens outward and I'm not sure I like the design and would worry about it in extreme wind and rain. If I do decide to get a portable AC, I think I will fabricate the plexi/plastic insert to replace the screen during the summer season. Thanks for the recommendation though.
I plan on doing something similar, but attach the Plexiglas to the screen using velcro.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1251 posts
1638 upvotes
Grand Prairie
I've tried that solution with swing (casement) windows. It's a nightmare and makes me want to murder whoever designed a casement window in the first place. The problem is the heat from the exhaust softens up the velcro/tape used to hold your plastic panel and it comes apart. The moisture also condenses when it hits the window glass and water drips down to the bottom of the glass making a mess.
May 19, 2005
555 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver/Toronto
Thanks again @adamtheman
Richmond Costco have about 12 left
Customer Service lady say to keep receipt for 30 days for price adjustment. May go on sale.
Images
  • 20210529_160118.jpg
  • 20210529_160010.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
adamtheman wrote: Sliding window. For a casement window, what I would do is simply take a piece of plywood, cut it to the size of the casement window, then I would cut out a hole the same size as the entire black flat adaptor, minus 2 inches around it. Then put the adaptor on top of the plywood, screw it (or glue it) to the plywood and then hook up the AC to it. Cheap and it would probably work fine. Not the most elegant. There are also some places that will make custom adaptors. FYI this unit comes with 2 extensions so you can also use this for a sliding glass door.
Probably cheaper to have a custom window built than buy the plywood...
Nov 9, 2013
759 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
adamtheman wrote: No need to drain it. That was old school units. Modern portable A/C's automatically deal with the water themselves by spraying it on the coils to cool the unit and evaporating it out the window. Yes, here is a bigger photo. This might help some people visualize it. This was just after I set it up. I ended up moving it a bit closer to the wall.

Thank you. That helps a lot.
Mar 1, 2005
106 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver
As of 5 pm today there were 5 units left at the Costco at Willingdon. Great unit.
Jan 4, 2013
195 posts
147 upvotes
RICHMOND
Thanks op grabbed one from Richmond Costco. I'd say around 6 left around 5 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9827 posts
5823 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
adamtheman wrote: No need to drain it. That was old school units. Modern portable A/C's automatically deal with the water themselves by spraying it on the coils to cool the unit and evaporating it out the window. Yes, here is a bigger photo. This might help some people visualize it. This was just after I set it up. I ended up moving it a bit closer to the wall.

There is a gap between the window and the black sheet.
May be you can tape it? So you dont need to drain the water even when it is hot and humid?
I have the portable ac leak on hardwood floor before and it was horrible. It starts to pop up.
I would add a tray underneath just in case, but that is just me because of my experience.
However, if yours is hardwood floor, you got to be more careful.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Jul 8, 2013
454 posts
616 upvotes
AMHERST
Anyone have a recommendation for a good one that we *can* get online?
May 19, 2005
555 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver/Toronto
@joshfindit
If you look at earlier post, someone posted the Madea brand, seems to be exact model, but $150 more, looks like can be purchased online.
Or see if you know someone with Costco card that can pick it up for you.
Sep 3, 2020
122 posts
139 upvotes
Please read the manual again. Both Danby's single and dual hose models have internal water tank.
When it gets filled up the unit will still be running but enter fan only mode (which will not produce any more water).
However you do need to drain it via either the drain hole on the bottom or setup continuous draining.
Nov 9, 2013
759 posts
288 upvotes
Vancouver
ValeDecem wrote: Please read the manual again. Both Danby's single and dual hose models have internal water tank.
When it gets filled up the unit will still be running but enter fan only mode (which will not produce any more water).
However you do need to drain it via either the drain hole on the bottom or setup continuous draining.
Does the tank fill in A/C mode or only other modes it doesn’t seem clear? Sounds like it fills quickly in certain modes as they recommend the auto drain hose. Any idea how often you would have to drain it if only using A/C?
Sep 3, 2020
122 posts
139 upvotes
Trophy23 wrote: Does the tank fill in A/C mode or only other modes it doesn’t seem clear? Sounds like it fills quickly in certain modes as they recommend the auto drain hose. Any idea how often you would have to drain it if only using A/C?
Among Cool/Dry (dehumidify)/Auto/Fan mode only Fan mode doesn't produce water. I would say just setup continuous drain (the drain lower to the exhaust hose), run the hose to some container and empty it once/twice a day or so (depends on how humid).
You can use the bottom tray drain to get rid of water each time the internal tank/pan is full but it is going to be quite annoying if it fills fast. I would only do it once a year before putting it to storage.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25731 upvotes
Montreal
adamtheman wrote: (...) I have never had an AC leak before.
You have been lucky. I've had two that DID leak. I put a boot tray underneath now. Sure, it kind of defeats the portable feature a bit but you'll think of me when one day, you see water in the tray and realize your hard wood floor could have been ruined.

Portable A/C can leak for many reasons. Even one that has auto-evaporation. For example, after a few years when the rubber gasket that lines the plug at the bottom of the unit dries-up. Or if the unit doesn't shut down when the tanks gets full like it's supposed to. Depending where you live, during extremely humid period, that might happen while you are sleeping or away. Or the evaporator shuts down for whatever reason (it's electronically controlled after all).

Feeling lucky? Will you take the chance? If you lose, your hard wood floor is damaged. If you win, you win... nothing.
Feb 27, 2013
275 posts
368 upvotes
Calgary
If anyone comes across inventory in Calgary let me know, checked the Buffalo Run location this morning - no dice.
~Let your actions reflect your desires
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Are these available at Ontario locations? Looks like all west coast so far.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)