Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Danby 14,000 BTU 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner $419 Online/$399 instore ($100 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2019 1:12 pm
Dec 14, 2006
30 posts
22 upvotes
newfbc wrote:
May 21st, 2019 12:40 pm
It's back now at $519.. maybe they put the sale price up early in error.

Ron.
I guess I'll wait till May 27th and get $100 back :P
Jan 26, 2012
270 posts
33 upvotes
Surrey
I was also looking for a portable AcC couple of weeks ago and ended up getting the 14000 BTU from LG model LP1419IVSM for $649. I sold my old 10k btu Danby as I couldn’t sleep at night with the loudness of Danby AC. The Wire Cutter website rated the LG as their best portable AC. They did not review Danby products or any portable AC with 56db and above noise rating. The LG is about 44 dB.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1376 posts
115 upvotes
We bought the LG one as well, a couple of things

1. I find it almost to quiet,
2. I'm not sure its cooling like it says it does, I'm finding the bedroom warm in the morning on my side of the bed, according to the App it was 16 degrees, but it felt warmer.
3. I was excited to use the Alexa Skill, but I can't get alexa to see it.

So I'm thinking of returning it and going to costco to get this one.

Winky
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2002 posts
1914 upvotes
SirRobin wrote:
May 21st, 2019 12:52 pm
OMG, thank you so much! I didn't know this exists! I have casement windows and I have never seen such thing before at Rona or Home Depot or Lowes!!
All I had was a DIY with card board and a fly mesh...
Just be careful. Most windows open outwards, I know mine does.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Dec 24, 2018
15 posts
16 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:14 pm
Just be careful. Most windows open outwards, I know mine does.
Based on pictures on amazon.ca, this should also work with windows going outside. Or do you have personal experience that this won't work with windows going outwards?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2002 posts
1914 upvotes
SirRobin wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:17 pm
Based on pictures on amazon.ca, this should also work with windows going outside. Or do you have personal experience that this won't work with windows going outwards?
Sorry. When I first saw this product, I thought it was a hard rigid plastic which wouldn't work for windows going outwards. I then saw the Youtube video. - so this product is cloth based.

I'm not sure how well this will resist air from the outside....
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Jul 20, 2007
123 posts
28 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote:
May 21st, 2019 12:45 pm
Thanks. I just picked one up. Gonna year it out for a month. Hoping Danny goes on sale inside Costco store. I rather buy at Costco than Best Buy.

Are those “warranty” worth it that beat buy sell for air conditioner. Says $90 for 4 year coverage. But has anyone actually used it successfully to get unit fixed or replaced?
Bought two - for different members of the family. The BB rep gave me the 4 yr warranty for $50 each.
The warranty will supposedly cover any repairs and if it’s a lemon ( 3 repairs), they’ll cut me cheque for the amount.

I bought dual hose because they are for larger home rooms. The machines should work a bit better than single hose . Westcoast BC doesn’t get high temperatures for a long length of time. Simply use the heater fan for fall and winter.
Feb 11, 2015
65 posts
33 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
HugsNotDrugs wrote:
May 21st, 2019 10:02 am
It's WiFi connected already.
Just checked the model number on my unit and its a different model DPA140DBCBDB (vs DPA140B8BDB-6 in this thread), but the specs listed on danby's wesite are the same between the two. Looks like the in built app support is the only thing that differentiate the two. Good a/c; no wonder they launched a wifi connected version.
Mar 21, 2012
108 posts
70 upvotes
MARKHAM
Nuckles37 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 4:51 pm
I haven't tried using it yet, but I bought this which is supposed to let portable A/C's work with those types of windows: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C986TBQ/

The exhaust hose might be too short though, so you might have to buy another one online and tape them together to extend it.
I bought this before for my casement window that opens outwards and it kinda works. The seal does manage to cover the top, bottom and outer sides of the opening but the inner side of the window (near the edge of window frame) is still exposed to outdoors, leaving a tiny gap about half centimetre wide but enough to let some outdoor air in. Had to tape that side up to get a better seal. Also because my window opens outwards, it was a hassle removing the hose and zipping the cloth every time I wanted to close the window.

As ghetto as it looks, I find a double wall cardboard taped on with a tight round cutout for the hose to be the best 'cheap' and practical solution. I can get the room at least 3 degrees cooler than the window seal when I was testing with similar outdoor temps. outside. Obviously a custom plexiglass would be the best solution for a perfect seal while looking acceptable, but I'm too lazy to make one.

Overall it does its job, but IMO a thick piece of cardboard insulates better.
Feb 11, 2015
65 posts
33 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
canucks6024 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 9:50 pm
I have the white unit and it requires me to press "ON" after plugging it in.
They way I use it: turn ON/OFF using the smart plug, not from the a/c buttons. Since this unit has an "Auto Restart: unit automatically restarts after a power failure" function, it comes back online as soon as it receives power.

Reference: https://www.danby.com/en-us/products/po ... 40b8bdb-6/
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21682 posts
7574 upvotes
Nuckles37 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 4:51 pm
I haven't tried using it yet, but I bought this which is supposed to let portable A/C's work with those types of windows: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07C986TBQ/
Where were you 2 years ago?
Bookmarked.
zebracobra007 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 7:09 pm
A few years back I was looking to get at least 2 of these for my home because there were many days that were unbearable. But all indications are this summer will be one with cool weather through out Canada. Last year in the west we only got a few days over 23, none over 28. Global warming is sure a bust here in Canada.
Tell that to my bedroom that's 31C even with an air conditioner right now. During the summer it's closer to 40C.
It's fun living in a greenhouse....

There's a reason I have 4 of these.
sonick wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:18 am
Your Best Digs chimes in to say that "Ultimately, dual hose units are better than single hose units in terms of pure cooling power on the hottest days," but also adds that in their test set up, "it wasn't such a significant difference that we could ignore the strengths of smaller, cheaper, and better-looking models that still have solid cooling capacity."
Single hoses aren't really any smaller. They are a bit cheaper.
Better looking? They're both ugly.
angryaudifanatic wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:18 pm
I'm not sure how well this will resist air from the outside....
It'd definitely be better than nothing.
Nov 28, 2016
485 posts
194 upvotes
Not on sale in store
13FEFD0A-67D3-4354-A496-21D6DEC63E17.jpeg
2E3D80F6-505F-437E-B6EF-FA372D883424.jpeg
Lurking on RFD for years. Finally decided to make an account...😂
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3979 posts
914 upvotes
Vancouver
delacruzjeff wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:02 pm
I was also looking for a portable AcC couple of weeks ago and ended up getting the 14000 BTU from LG model LP1419IVSM for $649. I sold my old 10k btu Danby as I couldn’t sleep at night with the loudness of Danby AC. The Wire Cutter website rated the LG as their best portable AC. They did not review Danby products or any portable AC with 56db and above noise rating. The LG is about 44 dB.
mrwinky wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:11 pm
We bought the LG one as well, a couple of things

1. I find it almost to quiet,
2. I'm not sure its cooling like it says it does, I'm finding the bedroom warm in the morning on my side of the bed, according to the App it was 16 degrees, but it felt warmer.
3. I was excited to use the Alexa Skill, but I can't get alexa to see it.

So I'm thinking of returning it and going to costco to get this one.

Winky
The 12,000 version is supposedly rated around the same as the LG (around 46dB) but I guess no-one really knows without an accurate comparison after owning both. Plenty of reviews on both Costco website for Danby and on the Home Depot website for the LG that says their units are not quiet. Some even go as far to say that their own noise meters measure > 50dB for the LG. Personally, I have a hard time believing the LG is "almost too quiet." I wonder what you would think of the Danby. I think that those complaining of the noise for either unit may have unrealistic expectations of how loud a compressor inherently is.

I have the older version Danby without a remote temperature sensor so the readings are always off, perhaps this is the same for you? Basically the unit keeps pulling in cooled air around it and also cooler air from outside so the temperature reading is quite low whereas the far side of the room is still hot. For Alexa, perhaps the skill is unavailable in Canada. You can switch the region to the US to find the Skill.
singhchanna wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:44 pm

Just checked the model number on my unit and its a different model DPA140DBCBDB (vs DPA140B8BDB-6 in this thread), but the specs listed on danby's wesite are the same between the two. Looks like the in built app support is the only thing that differentiate the two. Good a/c; no wonder they launched a wifi connected version.
App support and temperature sensor on the remote (both very sweet additions!)
singhchanna wrote:
May 21st, 2019 1:47 pm
They way I use it: turn ON/OFF using the smart plug, not from the a/c buttons. Since this unit has an "Auto Restart: unit automatically restarts after a power failure" function, it comes back online as soon as it receives power.

Reference: https://www.danby.com/en-us/products/po ... 40b8bdb-6/
Yes, what I have been doing is turning the unit on, setting the desired temperature, and then doing a hard power off through the Smart Switch. Then I turn the unit on about an hour before I get home. Works perfectly. Optional, if you're obsessive about a clean look: After settings your desired temperature, soft off the unit and let the air circulator flap close, then turn the unit back on and hard off right away. This keeps the flap closed but the unit will still turn on normally when you remotely switch the power back on. The app isn't a dealbreaker for me, the only difference is that I can't run the fan and then switch it to AC remotely (which you shouldn't do in the summer anyway because you're circulating the -usually- warmer air from outside deeper into your home).
Removed external link in signature.
Jan 13, 2009
138 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver
Any idea how often it would need draining? Is there a rule of thumb?