• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2024 12:04 am
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Frustrated53 wrote: I have tried everything! I read all the comments about Auto mode and not having the middle hose in on Cool mode. I shut the unit off, drained it yet again from the bottom. The unit is set to Cool (the snowflake) and even the fan is not on Auto it’s on high. All plugs are in and the unit only ran 2 1/2 hours again and coded! Yes, southern Ontario is humid but really ... every 2 1/2 hours this thing codes and the Cool shuts off!!! Frustrated is not the word anymore ... Is this unit a dud or what am I missing????
Did you confirm that continuous drain is working first?
Cool also does cause condensation (but supposedly small enough that self-evaporation takes care of it), when P1 shuts down your AC do you find a significant amount of water collected? We have been running it for hours nonstop during the hot and humid days of last week and yet to get a P1, there is always a possibility that the unit is faulty (if there isn't that much water in the tank) or that it's significantly humid at your place (unlikely but if AC isn't faulty then continuous drain should take care of that).

Good luck!
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25725 upvotes
Montreal
maxbou wrote: Mine continues to freeze up. Once frozen, if I then leave it running in fan mode for a while then switch to cool mode, I sometimes get that P1 message. There is absolutely no water coming out of either drains once both caps and both rubber plugs are removed. So where did that melted ice water go? (...)
The water from the melted ice gets evaporated by being splashed on the condenser coil like it's supposed to be. What is not normal, is getting the P1 message that means the Pan is full which is not. That, plus the ice forming on the evaporator justifies IMHO a return to Costco. My guess is with the large amount they sold and the rather frequent problems described in this thread, they won't be surprised by another return.
Frustrated53 wrote: I have tried everything! I read all the comments about Auto mode and not having the middle hose in on Cool mode. I shut the unit off, drained it yet again from the bottom. The unit is set to Cool (the snowflake) and even the fan is not on Auto it’s on high. All plugs are in and the unit only ran 2 1/2 hours again and coded! Yes, southern Ontario is humid but really ... every 2 1/2 hours this thing codes and the Cool shuts off!!! Frustrated is not the word anymore ... Is this unit a dud or what am I missing????
I have a Danby 14,000 BTU. If that new Danby is made the same way, there's a small motor at the bottom of the unit that runs a small fan inside the condenser assembly to splash the accumulated condensate on the condenser coil. If that motor does not work for any reason, the water will fill the pan. Another return to Costco.
Jun 12, 2021
3 posts
aasoror wrote: Did you confirm that continuous drain is working first?
Cool also does cause condensation (but supposedly small enough that self-evaporation takes care of it), when P1 shuts down your AC do you find a significant amount of water collected? We have been running it for hours nonstop during the hot and humid days of last week and yet to get a P1, there is always a possibility that the unit is faulty (if there isn't that much water in the tank) or that it's significantly humid at your place (unlikely but if AC isn't faulty then continuous drain should take care of that).

Good luck!
The continuous drain works but it’s not draining the water when in Cool mode, it goes to the bottom. I’m tired, I bought this unit a week ago and it hasn’t worked even one day! I have tried EVERYTHING to get this to work. I shouldn’t have to put a new air conditioner up on blocks so I can have a pan under it to keep draining, that’s useless! I even tried calling customer service ... what a laugh, no one to answer because of covid! I sent a customer service request and waiting for an answer. From what I read on their customer service reviews I won’t get an answer!! Thank you for your help ...
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
Frustrated53 wrote: ... what a laugh, no one to answer because of covid! I sent a customer service request and waiting for an answer. From what I read on their customer service reviews I won’t get an answer!! Thank you for your help ...
If you bought it online Costco will arrange to pick it up at no charge to you (if calling didn't work try emailing them), if it was bought in store just haul it back, it seems the QC is lacking on many of these units.

Sorry about your trouble Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
adamtheman wrote: If you, or anyone else here, puts this AC in "cool" mode and "high" setting fan, and it does ANYTHING but run continuously and shoot out extremely freezing cold air, then I would say there is something wrong with it. Even in extreme humid weather it shouldn't shut off. If air conditioners required draining 10 times a day then no one would buy them. I literally brought mine home, put the hose out the window, set the AC to cool (snow flake) and then put the fan on high. It keeps my apartment at like 16 degrees even in 30 degree weather (but I have a north facing apartment). Don't accept anything less than this. Take it back and exchange it for another one.
I agree with this. As someone who owns both the older generation (single hose) and current generation model, I’ve only used my units in Cool mode and NEVER had to attach the drain hose to pull water out of my units. If yours is throwing errors so early in the season, I’d just take it back for a replacement.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Sep 8, 2019
110 posts
82 upvotes
luv_gr8_deals wrote: You can pay to have a window ac professionally installed with all the money you save for a portable unit if you don't have decent DIY skills. Most of the portables are still mediocre and are just junk. Problematic big piece of plastic sitting taking up so much space.
Please tell me how to install a window AC unit when all my windows are casement that only open 2 inches Face With Tears Of Joy
Jan 11, 2010
538 posts
63 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: In my experience I would say these ratings by Danby are exaggerated.
Well, everyone does, which is why they added regulations in US, twice I think. The first thing to look at is the square foot rating. but when they say 600 sf I would assume it's more like 400-450. And customer reviews are skewed because people say things like its didn't even cool down my 400sf living room, meanwhile it's not a sealed 400 sf, especially with single units which will create negative pressure. You can't plop it in a bigger dwelling and expect the one area to be cooled properly. Bottom line is have low expectations and go up an extra amount of sq ft. As long as people keep buying them what do they care about the QA.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
3494 posts
1912 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: I agree with this. As someone who owns both the older generation (single hose) and current generation model, I’ve only used my units in Cool mode and NEVER had to attach the drain hose to pull water out of my units. If yours is throwing errors so early in the season, I’d just take it back for a replacement.
adamtheman wrote: If you, or anyone else here, puts this AC in "cool" mode and "high" setting fan, and it does ANYTHING but run continuously and shoot out extremely freezing cold air, then I would say there is something wrong with it. Even in extreme humid weather it shouldn't shut off. If air conditioners required draining 10 times a day then no one would buy them. I literally brought mine home, put the hose out the window, set the AC to cool (snow flake) and then put the fan on high. It keeps my apartment at like 16 degrees even in 30 degree weather (but I have a north facing apartment). Don't accept anything less than this. Take it back and exchange it for another one.
Is Cool mode the same as dehumidifier mode? On our Danby portable we have to set the temperature and the unit does turn off and on (cycle) unless we use the dehumidifier function. Then it's just too cold and can go as low as 16C. Otherwise, in auto mode or manual mode the room eventually becomes quite humid, reaching over 75% humidity even when the outdoor humidity is under 35%.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sheyenne wrote: Is Cool mode the same as dehumidifier mode? On our Danby portable we have to set the temperature and the unit does turn off and on (cycle) unless we use the dehumidifier function. Then it's just too cold and can go as low as 16C. Otherwise, in auto mode or manual mode the room eventually becomes quite humid, reaching over 75% humidity even when the outdoor humidity is under 35%.
I think you guys are making it way too complicated.

Cool mode is the Air Conditioning mode. just use the Air Conditioner as an Air Conditioner in Cool mode, and set it to the desired temperature for your room. There’s literally nothing else to fidget about.

I’d say just forget about the Auto and Dehumidifier function if you want care free use out of the unit. No need to attach drain pipes, tilt, hoist and all that other stuff.

Just my thoughts.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Jul 15, 2008
374 posts
105 upvotes
If you don’t mind me asking, how big is your apartment and how many rooms do you have?

Where do you have your AC set up? Does even the rooms in your apartment comes down to 16?

Just want to see if this AC is sufficient for my space.

Maybe I can leave the AC in the living room and still sleep in my bedroom.
Jun 10, 2021
13 posts
4 upvotes
YVR
Got one from Richmond, BC. June 14, 5:45pm and it's the last unit.
It's been out of stock since last week and it's been only a few stock since they 1st displayed the unit.
For sure, there will be plenty coming.
This year, only 1 model available (14K BTU-newer version). Unlike last year they have 2 models (12K and 14K BTU).
Jun 14, 2021
12 posts
8 upvotes
Canada
@[adamtheman] how far does the window slider extend? I have a 40 inch horizontal slider window and am curious if the window slider can extend that long.
Dec 18, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Does anyone else have an issue connecting it to a wireless network? I'm using the Danby android app (not Danby Smart Home) and connected to my 2.4ghz network. Once it connects to the AC wifi it fails the set up. Haven't tried emailing or calling it yet in hopes of figuring it out.

Edit: it fails @ Preconfigure Appliances Step - Find Devine in AP Timeout
Jul 15, 2008
374 posts
105 upvotes
adamtheman wrote: I can do you one better. Here is a floorplan of my apartment. Yesterday when it was 30 degrees out I checked the temperature in each area. Here is what they read. No kidding, it was so cold inside the apartment I had a sweater on and a blanket on the sofa (when it was 30 out). I've never had an AC pump out this much cold. The single hose 12k last year would have struggled to keep it 23 or 24 in here. As you can see, the hottest area in the apartment is in the bedroom near the window (22 deg). Two things to keep in mind here... 30 degrees was with relatively low humidity and also my apartment is north facing. If I lived in a south facing apartment and it was a very humid 30 degrees out then the temps would be higher but still I think the bedroom would be managable to sleep in. Air does circulate for sure just not as good as in the open space room.

Wow, thanks for the informative reply!

I’m in Vancouver, BC. Is that comparatively more humid than where you are?

Might consider selling my LG in this case
Nov 27, 2020
14 posts
6 upvotes
BC
killakam416 wrote: Does anyone else have an issue connecting it to a wireless network? I'm using the Danby android app (not Danby Smart Home) and connected to my 2.4ghz network. Once it connects to the AC wifi it fails the set up. Haven't tried emailing or calling it yet in hopes of figuring it out.

Use app Midea Air instead. Seems to work much better.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
killakam416 wrote: Does anyone else have an issue connecting it to a wireless network? I'm using the Danby android app (not Danby Smart Home) and connected to my 2.4ghz network. Once it connects to the AC wifi it fails the set up. Haven't tried emailing or calling it yet in hopes of figuring it out.

Don't bother with the Danby app, follow the steps outlined in the thread summary.
Jun 10, 2021
13 posts
4 upvotes
YVR
adamtheman wrote: I can do you one better. Here is a floorplan of my apartment. Yesterday when it was 30 degrees out I checked the temperature in each area...

Whoa! Way to go @adamtheman you're the man! You architect or something mate? Really nice of you for conducting this test.
Suggest adding a turbo floor fan on the floor to circulate the cold air or re-direct it to your bedroom. That's what I'm doing. I have 4 bedrooms on the 2nd floor, and use a fan to bring some cold air to other room. Adding blanket(as a curtain wall) in the hallway to block cold air going down to 1st floor.
Nov 6, 2013
410 posts
279 upvotes
adamtheman wrote: I can do you one better. Here is a floorplan of my apartment. Yesterday when it was 30 degrees out I checked the temperature in each area. Here is what they read. No kidding, it was so cold inside the apartment I had a sweater on and a blanket on the sofa (when it was 30 out). I've never had an AC pump out this much cold. The single hose 12k last year would have struggled to keep it 23 or 24 in here. As you can see, the hottest area in the apartment is in the bedroom near the window (22 deg). Two things to keep in mind here... 30 degrees was with relatively low humidity and also my apartment is north facing. If I lived in a south facing apartment and it was a very humid 30 degrees out then the temps would be higher but still I think the bedroom would be managable to sleep in. Air does circulate for sure just not as good as in the open space room.

Have you managed to measure the temperature right where it comes out of the AC? I'm getting around 9°c, wondering if it's normal
Feb 5, 2017
84 posts
177 upvotes
For anyone concerned about height/hose length:

I set mine up today on my window which is 53" off the ground - most likely the max height you will be able to reach.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)