Hot Deals

[Costco] Danby 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner DUAL HOSE for $499 in-store ($519 online OOS)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 12:32 am
Jun 1, 2005
971 posts
264 upvotes
GVR
newfbc wrote: The thing I like with this 'dual hose' from Costco is the design with the two-in-one.. there is no heat from the outside of the single large hose even after running the unit for hours. I guess having the hose in hose provides an insulation factor.

Ron.
I installed this 14k unit to my patio door, but we have higher ceilings so the panel kit was short by about 4 inches.

Anyways, I was thinking about returning the unit, so I just temporarily used a shoe box at the bottom and stacked the panel(s) on top. Without any insulation, and turning the AC on, I did not feel any unreasonable hot air coming back in from the gaps (lots of gaps) from my temp set up, and this portable AC did a reasonable job of cooling my area down. For the remainder of this heat wave in Vancouver, I'll keep the current set up and looking fabbing a wooden piece to replace the shoe box, but only when it's no longer too hot lol
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20512 posts
967 upvotes
Shanghai, China
kaiseki wrote: Makes sense given the heatwave we're going to get this week. Apparently, Vancouver is going to be hotter than LA this weekend!

I think it's safe to say that if you live in a home that heats up quite a bit during summer then it's better to invest in a portable AC when you see it instead of waiting. This shortage of portable AC units happens every year in BC lol
What's concerning is that the heatwave began before summer even began. I can't remember the last time June was this hot. My house isn't even that old. It's only 9 years old. At the time the house was built, there was no consideration of getting some sort of central AC system since Vancouver doesn't get that hot, and even then it's so brief that it's not worth the expense. I'm tempted to move down to my basement to survive until I can get an AC.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20512 posts
967 upvotes
Shanghai, China
vancityguy0 wrote: So Vancouver is going to apparently hit 38°C on Monday. I just picked up my A/C window panel today and have a single hose Danby from 3 years ago and the new dual hose for my 650 sq ft condo. Will be using both and not looking forward to this ultimate test.

I doubt if these will be able to regulate indoors to even 10° below outside but it sure does beat 38 if it works.
adamtheman wrote: Check out Kelowna...............
Temporel wrote: PSA - WESTERN HEAT WAVE COMING

Vancouver / Edmonton / Calgary / Saskatoon

Buy! Buy! Buy!

Screenshot (1421).pngScreenshot (1422).pngScreenshot (1423).pngScreenshot (1424).png
I can't imagine what July and August will be like. Yikes, this is crazy. I was shirtless in my room with the fan on and this reminds me of Asia already. The good news is that it's not very humid in Vancouver. I would be melting if I was in Shanghai.
Feb 5, 2017
65 posts
111 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: A friend bought this A/C and has western exposure. He can't get the temperature in the bedroom below 28C despite doing a great job installing the fittings and window kit. Metro Vancouver temperatures have soared above 30C recently.
I am facing west in the West End and can get my 600sqft apartment to 20.5... Something is wrong
Deal Fanatic
Apr 10, 2011
5999 posts
9795 upvotes
Montreal
Byst11 wrote: I am facing west in the West End and can get my 600sqft apartment to 20.5... Something is wrong
20.5 is asking a lot. I keep 24 degrees in the living room in the Winter... You have to also consider that the A/C drastically reduces the humidity.
Sep 5, 2020
51 posts
26 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Why not call the Costco you frequent and get a real-time stock status (in that store and neighboring ones as well) instead? Sure beats waiting for (possibly) stale reports here.

Ask for item 7708212

Good luck!
Thanks, I did that but unfortunately sold out across Edmonton
Dec 27, 2007
21442 posts
13064 upvotes
Kitchener
JamesS86098 wrote: Thanks, I did that but unfortunately sold out across Edmonton
looking at the bright side, at least you didn't drive to a store based on an outdated report just to get disappointed.
Sep 5, 2020
51 posts
26 upvotes
aasoror wrote: looking at the bright side, at least you didn't drive to a store based on an outdated report just to get disappointed.
I instead did that with walmart just now and wasted 2 hours looking for an AC that according to the website was in stock Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There are currently 6 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 3 guests)

Ninjai, iamaaronlol, Kingrox