Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Danby 14000 BTU 4 in 1 Portable Air Conditioner $399.99 after $100 discount

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2016 5:56 pm
[OP]
Apr 8, 2007
589 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Costco] Danby 14000 BTU 4 in 1 Portable Air Conditioner $399.99 after $100 discount

Danby 14000 BTU 4 in 1 Portable Air Conditioner for $399.99.

http://m.costco.ca/Danby-Designer-14,00 ... 68681.html

$40 more expensive online as it includes shipping. Best to pick up at a local Costco. Price at warehouse is $499.99 with $100 off.

Unit had decent reviews on Costco website.

Sale online lasts until May 22.

Going to try to pick up a unit myself in anticipation of the heat this summer. Would be a great unit for those who live in an apartment. This unit plus a fan to blow the cool air around would probably be sufficient to cool down most apartments.
73 replies
[OP]
Apr 8, 2007
589 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yes I believe so within a certain amount of days. If not, just return your unit and buy a new one at the lower price.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1099 posts
236 upvotes
this unit is heavy AF, so hopefully they'll refund me $100, payed 499 last week.

its been good so far. few days of 30ish degrees in AB.
[OP]
Apr 8, 2007
589 posts
156 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is it really that "portable" considering it's weight? How easy/hard is the window install? Any special tools needed?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
3756 posts
5751 upvotes
Langley, BC
bought this one last year, same price... great A/C unit, tad heavy as i move it between girls rooms :P
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1099 posts
236 upvotes
wiigal wrote: Is it really that "portable" considering it's weight? How easy/hard is the window install? Any special tools needed?
easy to install, my window was too small by about 1 inch, and had to cut the siding.

not portable up/down stairs, but, room to room? should be ok, but is heavy.
Banned
Oct 8, 2014
238 posts
120 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Vinotintazo wrote: bought this last week, do they price adjust?
as long as you bring your original receipt they will
Aug 20, 2007
189 posts
219 upvotes
I bought this unit last year. It has wheels so its movable but its pretty heavy. Performance wise it cools a large master with no problems but it is on loud side, but you get used to it. Installation for a sliding window is no problem at all, I don't even need any tools.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2011
1099 posts
236 upvotes
bajwamar wrote: as long as you bring your original receipt they will
got receipt right here, kept it for this reason. however I thought costco didnt care for receipts? they have your purchase history anyway.

supe wrote: but it is on loud side, but you get used to it.
it is loud, didnt bother me though.
Dec 1, 2013
8 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Does anyone know how this model compares to a setup like Bestbuy's Haier with a dual hose? Obviously, there is a price difference.
Sep 23, 2014
45 posts
10 upvotes
York, ON
[quote="Vinotintazo" post_id="25923695" time="1462906910" user_id="447025"]got receipt right here, kept it for this reason. however I thought costco didnt care for receipts? they have your purchase history anyway.

You don't have to have the receipt. You go to the service counter with you membership card and tell them you bought it last week. They will check in their system then they will refund you the different. usually, they have kept it around 5 or 6 yrs.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3477 posts
2022 upvotes
Two Hose designs are more efficient and don't cause your house to have negative air pressure and vacuum in hot air.

this model has it. http://m.costco.ca/.product.100248292.html

Just the same all these portable units are a trade-off to a more efficient (in most cases except the ultra cheap and weak ones one) window units.
Banned
Oct 8, 2014
238 posts
120 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Vinotintazo wrote: got receipt right here, kept it for this reason. however I thought costco didnt care for receipts? they have your purchase history anyway.
Well the costco i go to always ask me for receipt (just for price adjustments)
if i were to return an item then i dont need a receipt
Jan 3, 2013
635 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
Keep in mind that the store will only do a refund on the difference if stock still is in the store.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28460 posts
14028 upvotes
Newhtc wrote: You don't have to have the receipt. You go to the service counter with you membership card and tell them you bought it last week. They will check in their system then they will refund you the different. usually, they have kept it around 5 or 6 yrs.
bajwamar wrote: Well the costco i go to always ask me for receipt (just for price adjustments)
if i were to return an item then i dont need a receipt
Both of these topics are HIGHLY warehouse dependent.
The bunch of warehouses I've visited in BC do require the original receipt for both returns and price adjustments.
Alberta seems more lax.

Also to note, if you do a receiptless return in BC you get the lowest selling price.
If you can produce a receipt you get the price you paid.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2009
1237 posts
4977 upvotes
Van Isle
FWIW I live in one of the hottest areas of BC for July/Aug and I can vouch this unit brings our bedroom down from an unbearable 85-90F to a "comfortable" 73F. It takes a while but it does get there by 10pm if started around 3pm. The room size is 13x17
Aug 19, 2012
962 posts
151 upvotes
How do these compare to Whynter & Toyotomi units?

Also what is Costcos return policy? I can't access their site. I have a room with high ceilings and I'm not sure if this will work well enough for us.

Edit: Just noticed that its a single hose unit thats a deal killer :(
Feb 6, 2010
562 posts
132 upvotes
Vancouver
I am concerned about the noise. I bought a Danby to try and test the noise level in my bedroom.

Using my smartphone sound meter the readings are as follows:

1. Cool mode and lowest fan setting - 4.5 ft 53db, 10 ft 50db, from my kitchen 38db

2. Auto mode and auto fan setting (high) - 4.5 ft 54db, 10 ft 51db, from my kitchen 42db

I can barely hear the AC from the other room. As a reference if nothing is on but background noise 34db and if I have talk radio on 42db.

I not sure if there are any other portable AC that much quieter. I figure I won't worry that much about power usage as I need it only in the hot months.

Anyone try the Gree AC or the Delonghi whisper cool AC?
Feb 26, 2008
8 posts
Ottawa
Thanks OP, just what I was looking for. It seems that there are about 15 units in Surrey, BC.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)