Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Danby Chest Freezer 10.8 cu. ft. $260 in store and listed at $430 on website (YMMV???)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2021 4:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1624 posts
1317 upvotes

[Costco] Danby Chest Freezer 10.8 cu. ft. $260 in store and listed at $430 on website (YMMV???)

I did a quick search and didn't see this mentioned in other threads. On the website it is listed at $430. But my dad visited two Costco locations and told me it is $320 in store and right now it is on sale for $260 until Jan 31. $260 + tax for a 10.8 cu.ft. chest freezer is a very attractive price. Btw delivery is $60 if needed.

EDIT: One more thing, the previous issue of CR evaluated garage-ready chest freezer and IIRC, temp must not go below 0F or exceed 104F. I'll double check the temp tomorrow when I have a chance.
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Jan 27th, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love is all there is to have.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3597 posts
2321 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, the fridges on Costco.ca are always marked up by at least $100 compared to in-store.

A good example is the 10.1 cu. ft. Danby top freezer - it's $399 in-store but $499 online.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1125 posts
594 upvotes
Scarborough
TomLafinsky wrote: I did a quick search and didn't see this mentioned in other threads. On the website it is listed at $430. But my dad visited two Costco locations and told me it is $320 in store and right now it is on sale for $260 until Jan 31. $260 + tax for a 10.8 cu.ft. chest freezer is a very attractive price. Btw delivery is $60 if needed.

EDIT: One more thing, the previous issue of CR evaluated garage-ready chest freezer and IIRC, temp must not go below 0F or exceed 104F. I'll double check the temp tomorrow when I have a chance.
What was the location? In GTA is still 319 as far as I remember.
Careful with their naming. The one from the website ends in WDB and is long time garage ready rated. The one sold on store is WDD and is not garage ready until latest iteration of the manual (fall 2020). When I asked Danby I have been told is NOT grave ready. Since my basement is not prepared I keep mine in garage. It's working but I never experienced bellow 0 C this winter yet.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Harpagon wrote: When I asked Danby I have been told is NOT grave ready.
Not good for bodi, I mean, meats then?
May 7, 2015
341 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TomLafinsky wrote: I did a quick search and didn't see this mentioned in other threads. On the website it is listed at $430. But my dad visited two Costco locations and told me it is $320 in store and right now it is on sale for $260 until Jan 31. $260 + tax for a 10.8 cu.ft. chest freezer is a very attractive price. Btw delivery is $60 if needed.

$60 for delivery? Since when did Costco start to offer warehouse appliance delivery?
They do furniture too?
Dec 30, 2017
467 posts
551 upvotes
GTA
Which warehouse does delivery? I have been postponing pickup because my sedan would not fit one and I would need to get a rental and with this Covid I don't want to get a rental now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1624 posts
1317 upvotes
Harpagon wrote: What was the location? In GTA is still 319 as far as I remember.
Careful with their naming. The one from the website ends in WDB and is long time garage ready rated. The one sold on store is WDD and is not garage ready until latest iteration of the manual (fall 2020). When I asked Danby I have been told is NOT grave ready. Since my basement is not prepared I keep mine in garage. It's working but I never experienced bellow 0 C this winter yet.
Last night my dad told me he saw it at his 'regular' Costco and at the 'new' Costco in Ottawa. I live a few minutes away from the US border while my folks live in Ottawa. So Ottawa RFDers will know which locations my dad is talking about. His 'regular' Costco is the one 'next to the head office', to quote him. I think it is Hunt Club. I suspect the new Costco is the one 'that moved recently'. Sorry can't be more clear. Hopefully Ottawa RFDers can confirm locations.

Thanks for clarification about exact model. I didn't see it myself.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2300 posts
1821 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote: Last night my dad told me he saw it at his 'regular' Costco and at the 'new' Costco in Ottawa. I live a few minutes away from the US border while my folks live in Ottawa. So Ottawa RFDers will know which locations my dad is talking about. His 'regular' Costco is the one 'next to the head office', to quote him. I think it is Hunt Club. I suspect the new Costco is the one 'that moved recently'. Sorry can't be more clear. Hopefully others can confirm.

Thanks for clarification about exact model. I didn't see it myself.
Likely referring to Hunt Club as his "regular" and the Gloucester one as the "new" one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1624 posts
1317 upvotes
From Consumer Reports January 2021 about putting fridge/freezer in garage.
Images
  • freezer.JPG
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2005
1037 posts
614 upvotes
Waterloo
$319 in Kitchener yesterday
Happy Zoomer customer! $36/800m/5gb.
Sep 26, 2012
425 posts
154 upvotes
Thornhill
TomLafinsky wrote: But my dad visited two Costco locations and told me it is $320 in store and right now it is on sale for $260 until Jan 31.
Whick location has it for 260?
Jan 9, 2011
70 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering/Toronto
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: $60 for delivery? Since when did Costco start to offer warehouse appliance delivery?
They do furniture too?
yeah this is news to me too, i've passed out on some good freezer deals because it just couldn't fit in my car and settled for a more pricey purchase online because it included delivery

Edit: Just called Oshawa and they confirmed they do not deliver warehouse items and asked if it is likely the same across all locations and she said yes we are all cash and carry
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1624 posts
1317 upvotes
johndoepk wrote: yeah this is news to me too, i've passed out on some good freezer deals because it just couldn't fit in my car and settled for a more pricey purchase online because it included delivery

Edit: Just called Oshawa and they confirmed they do not deliver warehouse items and asked if it is likely the same across all locations and she said yes we are all cash and carry
I asked my dad for confirmation and the two Costco he saw it on sale until January 31 are Hunt Club/Merivale and Gloucester (Blair Road). He didn't go to the other locations in Ottawa.

My dad bought one at $260 from the Gloucester store and paid $60 (to Costco) to have it delivered.

On the Costco Delivery Form under Item Description it is written

QTY -- ITEM NO -- DESCRIPTION --------------- DELIVERY COST
1 -- -- 1202108 -- Danby 10.8 chest freezer -- 259.99
1 -- -- 129364 --- Delivery ---------------------- 60
Jan 9, 2011
70 posts
34 upvotes
Pickering/Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: I asked my dad for confirmation and the two Costco he saw it on sale until January 31 are Hunt Club/Merivale and Gloucester (Blair Road). He didn't go to the other locations in Ottawa.

My dad bought one at $260 from the Gloucester store and paid $60 (to Costco) to have it delivered.

On the Costco Delivery Form under Item Description it is written

Pretty Neat! Wish they offered that here, good find!
Pretty neat! Wished they had that here! Lucky guy
QTY -- ITEM NO -- DESCRIPTION --------------- DELIVERY COST
1 -- -- 1202108 -- Danby 10.8 chest freezer -- 259.99
1 -- -- 129364 --- Delivery ---------------------- 60
Wish they had it where i am!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1624 posts
1317 upvotes
UPDATE: Went to visit my folks this weekend and it was a good thing my dad didn't start using his new chest freezer in spite of having received it two weeks ago (I guess he was waiting for my approval ;) ). I took a look and like many chest freezers being manufactured there was two instances where there was a tiny gap where the wall meet the side (where the compressor is located). So I applied GE caulking (clear Silicone II - yeah the one used for outdoor - freeze-proof) and sealed everywhere you have two distinct pieces meeting each other. If you don't do that when you'll defrost your chest freezer there is a possibility that water (melted ice) will penetrate behind the walls/floors where you have the insulation. Overall not dramatic, but not a good thing either.

BTW today is the last day of the sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
2162 posts
1763 upvotes
People tend to turn a blind eye to these things sadly. It is why you're getting a great deal on a fridge and other things made in China. All this talk about recently about bringing back manufacturing jobs to North America, and not be dependant for our goods from China anymore because of the Pandemic. If that were to happen, we'd all be paying probably $1000 for the freezer, because of labour laws, unions, a high minimum wage, and high corporate taxes in this country.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1624 posts
1317 upvotes
Allen84 wrote: People tend to turn a blind eye to these things sadly. It is why you're getting a great deal on a fridge and other things made in China. All this talk about recently about bringing back manufacturing jobs to North America, and not be dependant for our goods from China anymore because of the Pandemic. If that were to happen, we'd all be paying probably $1000 for the freezer, because of labour laws, unions, a high minimum wage, and high corporate taxes in this country.
If I'm not mistaken this chest freezer is made in the USA. The Frigidaire I bought a few years ago from HD was made in China :(