Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Costco

Danby Designer Upright Freezers

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2017 10:17 am
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
Fularu wrote: I have the Danby Premier upright freezer (the 8.9 cf one) and it's been performing really well.
While a little bit on the small side, I'm very happy with it.
The reason I like a small freezer like this is that you can put them in your kitchen instead of having it in the basement.
Dec 7, 2013
906 posts
890 upvotes
Quebec
MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote: The reason I like a small freezer like this is that you can put them in your kitchen instead of having it in the basement.
I use my regular drawer freezer for the everyday/kitchen stuff. Freezer is for long term conservation.

I was annoyed nothing else could get past the hook in the stairs.
Dec 28, 2007
400 posts
56 upvotes
Waterloo
akito925 wrote: in 3 months time, I will have a large freezer outside, just wait for the weather to change lol.
And with the fluctuation in Temps we get in Ontario, you get auto-defrost too!!!

Although to be honest, there is nothing better than a Good beer that been hanging out in a snowbank!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3341 posts
2076 upvotes
sods wrote: Although to be honest, there is nothing better than a Good beer that been hanging out in a snowbank!
I fill my cooler with snow half way, add the drinks, then lightly fill with snow the rest of the way.

That way we don't have to go outside to get the drinks ;) Coolers are cheap right now at grocery stores as they clear them out if you don't have one.

Just ummm... try and pick the "clean" snow.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Danby rebrands Chinese appliances to meet a low price point. The ones they sell at Costco are usually even better value than the similar Danby ones sold at Home Depot, etc. As long as you are okay with that price point and not expecting it to last a long time, it can make sense compared to brand name appliances. I wouldn't buy anything major like a stove or large fridge at the lowest price point, but a manual-defrost freezer is basically just a styrofoam-lined box with a compressor and one simple control dial. However, if you have a lot of money in frozen food, like Wagyu steaks, you might want a higher price point and (hopefully) reliability. For me, it's mostly just storing frozen pizza, burgers, etc.

I have a Danby upright freezer from Costco that has been running 24/7 for the last 12 years, except for the twice a year that I unplug it to defrost it. I know I've been pretty lucky with that, though. And every time I'm scraping out the ice and defrosting it, I wish it would die so that I would have an excuse to buy an automatic defrost one, but then look at the hundreds of dollars more I would have pay for that feature, plus the fact that it causes freezer burn, then sigh and know that I would likely just buy another cheap manual-defrost one.

TLDR: good deal!
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
jm1 wrote: I have a Danby upright freezer from Costco that has been running 24/7 for the last 12 years, except for the twice a year that I unplug it to defrost it. I know I've been pretty lucky with that, though. And every time I'm scraping out the ice and defrosting it, I wish it would die so that I would have an excuse to buy an automatic defrost one, but then look at the hundreds of dollars more I would have pay for that feature, plus the fact that it causes freezer burn, then sigh and know that I would likely just buy another cheap manual-defrost one.
TLDR: good deal!
I don't think you can even buy a auto-defost freezer in a small size can you?
PS- Ordered the freezer on Monday and I will get it on Thursday. Delivered by UPS
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12735 posts
6256 upvotes
Does Costco offer any delivery where they take it to the basement or the only option is where they just slap it on the porch.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
12833 posts
6665 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Does Costco offer any delivery where they take it to the basement or the only option is where they just slap it on the porch.
Bigger items are usually dropped off curb side. end of driveway ect.
Well here anyways.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2131 posts
797 upvotes
Ottawa
bobcat99 wrote: Does Costco offer any delivery where they take it to the basement or the only option is where they just slap it on the porch.
I don't think it's too heavy for two adults, you can handle drive way to your kitchen part. Or pay the delivery guy $20 and I'm sure he'll drop to anywhere in your home.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12735 posts
6256 upvotes
noway wrote: Passing on anything Danby after hearing how despicable their parent company Woods treated their employees when they closed shop.
Can't find anything about this.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
noway wrote: Passing on anything Danby after hearing how despicable their parent company Woods treated their employees when they closed shop.

MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote: I don’t know what you’re talking about Ron.
I get this when I click on the link ;
“Jim Estill, Danby CEO who sponsored 50 Syrian families, named to Order of Ontario”
you combined 2 post together, that is why it does not make sense
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Ordered a Dandy fridge from Amazon
and it arrived with some dents. They need to work on better packing
as many review in Amazon says they received with dents
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
Got my Danby freezer yesterday. Love it. Just the right size. Very quiet.
No dents, but they should put more thicker Styrofoam when they package it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
Glad it works out, Danby is our go to brand for fridge and others. A lot of people don't know that they have the largest share of mini fridge market in North American and they are a Canadian company that has been in business for 70 years.
MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote: Got my Danby freezer yesterday. Love it. Just the right size. Very quiet.
No dents, but they should put more thicker Styrofoam when they package it.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
I like the fact that Danby is a Canadian company.
I guess they are made in China like everything else though?
Oct 18, 2012
281 posts
223 upvotes
Montreal
We bought a Danby 5.5 cu ft floor/chest freezer from Costco that worked great until yesterday when it just died. The freezer melted and by the time we noticed, we had lost a lot of food. The indicator light is flickering so it seems like a defective power unit or something similar. We're between 2-3 years since purchase, but a freezer should last much longer than this. Also, this may be covered under Quebec consumer protection (we're Montreal based). If anybody has had a similar experience, I'd be interested in hearing how they were treated by Costco customer service.
Last edited by kudos2012 on Oct 16th, 2017 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Intelligent thought is worth reading. The rest, not so much. Help reduce word pollution.]
Apr 16, 2015
900 posts
577 upvotes
uklamen wrote: Frost free isn't so great if you're storing for months. I personally will never get an auto defrost freezer. I'd prefer the control of when it happens... particularily when I have no food in there :)

Plus you save on energy with a manual defrost. Not a lot, but enough to add up over the lifetime of your freezer.
Upright freezers and chest freezers are not available in frost free in the smaller sizes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)