Expired Hot Deals

Costco

[DEAD] Costco.ca: Unlocked Moto G Stylus (2020 model): 4GB / 128GB / 1080x2300 screen: $260

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2021 1:31 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2883 posts
840 upvotes
Scarborough
pratsaw wrote: I bought this for my dad at around 150ish this morning(used the 100$ renewal bonus). the reviews above arent giving me a lot of confidence in the phone though.
Knowing that dad would love a phone with a stylus(and there arent much options in this budget), would this phone be an absolute no-no for basic uses?
Even if i cancel my order, costco does not reimburse the coupons :(
Looking for inputs.
This phone is an absolute yes-yes for MORE THAN basic uses. $150ish is a GRATE price. (read it in Scottish/Irish). Face With Tears Of Joy

Daytime pictures are GRATE, so-so for night scenes. Then again you'd have to fork out >$1000 for the dark pics.

BTW I'm a proud owner.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1135 posts
1352 upvotes
Montreal
pulsar123 wrote: First of all, that's how these phones are advertised (by COSTCO, Staples etc). Second, as far as I can tell, nothing really changed since the "All phones sold in Canada are unlocked" came into law. Large providers simply switched from one set of tricks to another. You couldn't walk say into a Rogers store, buy a phone, and put your Public Mobile SIM, and start using it, and you still can't.
I bought a phone from Fizz and gave it to my dad on Bell. You can buy any phone from any provider and use it on any provider.

Also, my comment wasn't necessarily directed at this post and OP, but just in general. I wish Costco/Staples/etc would stop advertising them this way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1910 posts
1243 upvotes
Sure, Fizz -> Bell is a non-brainer, but how about doing it the other way: Bell -> Fizz? My impression is that large companies (Bell etc) make it hard enough that in effect their phones are still "locked". Hence it is useful to know that certain phones (like Moto in Costco) are sold "unlocked", with no strings attached.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
14242 posts
4285 upvotes
VANCOUVER
pulsar123 wrote: Sure, Fizz -> Bell is a non-brainer, but how about doing it the other way: Bell -> Fizz? My impression is that large companies (Bell etc) make it hard enough that in effect their phones are still "locked". Hence it is useful to know that certain phones (like Moto in Costco) are sold "unlocked", with no strings attached.
I don't know where you got that impression from. All phones are unlocked, from any carrier, and can be used on any other carrier, as long as the frequencies are supported.
Mar 16, 2010
87 posts
23 upvotes
Oshawa
chatbox wrote: This is your lucky day!
In stock as of this moment (Sold and shipped by Best Buy):
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... d/15331673
"Available to ship
This will be delivered tomorrow."
A52-5G.png
Thanks! I was considering the Costco Motorola because of the stylus, price and seller, but the A52 does seem more current and would appear to be in the queue for more updates.

While Best Buy went out of stock last night during my check-out process (bummer), the A52 can also be had at Staples (Staples Samsung A52 128 GB, Black $489.99). I grabbed the last one in Oshawa (-10% open box) and was told I can test it out and return it until January 16th. I look forward to trialing the 1TB memory slot and 3.5mm headphone jack.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
pulsar123 wrote: First of all, that's how these phones are advertised (by COSTCO, Staples etc). Second, as far as I can tell, nothing really changed since the "All phones sold in Canada are unlocked" came into law. Large providers simply switched from one set of tricks to another. You couldn't walk say into a Rogers store, buy a phone, and put your Public Mobile SIM, and start using it, and you still can't.
I agree with you. This terminology is still used in the US as well. Just look at BH PhotoVideo. Buying a phone from Rogers/Bell/Telus/Koodo at full price (not on any tabs or contracts) is almost always more expensive than buying it at staples/BB/costco so no point in buying it from a carrier unless you are doing a "tab" type deal with $0 or little $ down. As long as the device purchased (outright) from the carrier has supported bands on your destination carrier it will work. If not, they are legally obligated to unlocked it.

Another thing to consider with "carrier" vs "unlocked" phones is that many carrier phones have specific firmwares which provide Wi-Fi calling and in some cases VoLTE. I have seen many users in BH PhotoVideo reviews for Motorola "unlocked" phones being unable to use Wi-Fi calling and end up returning it and buying the AT&T carrier version of the same device.

I wish there were more good "unlocked" phone options for those not wishing to play the locked down multi-year contract games and recurring high monthly fees just for the privilege of getting a specific handset.
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
As of this writing, the A52 5G is back in stock at Staples online for delivery (may be a few straggling units at stores but you would have to check)

Sale price expires in about 5 hours so you gotta hurry! Dec 2 11:59pm ends.
Jul 14, 2016
110 posts
82 upvotes
Bianco13 wrote: My wife has this phone (Zoomer wireless plan), she absolutely hates it. The sound quality is pretty good, the screen is so-so and the camera is horrible.
as with almost any android phone, using gcam is the key to having good pictures. I use wichaya's gcam, if you look up celsoazevedo it's the place to get it.
Feegus wrote: Where can I get a Moto G 5G for $290?
I paid 318 for mine, I thought it was more around the 300 mark but still. easily worth it. the price crept up by 20$ ever since I've mentioned it on RFD it seems.

and I buy motorolas for the bootloader unlock and the roms that follow. I don't use the stock firmware because I want updates damnit!

also someone mentioned a credit for the moto one 5g ace, and that phone is identical to the moto g 5g. the otterbox even fits on the moto g 5g which is great.
moto g 5g, on LineageOS (in an otterbox case because gorilla glass is too much of a luxury for motorola) moto g8 power, on public mobile's 120$ with tax 12GB plan/3 mths
Jan 3, 2013
618 posts
246 upvotes
Winnipeg
dandu3 wrote: as with almost any android phone, using gcam is the key to having good pictures. I use wichaya's gcam, if you look up celsoazevedo it's the place to get it.
I paid 318 for mine, I thought it was more around the 300 mark but still. easily worth it. the price crept up by 20$ ever since I've mentioned it on RFD it seems.

and I buy motorolas for the bootloader unlock and the roms that follow. I don't use the stock firmware because I want updates damnit!

also someone mentioned a credit for the moto one 5g ace, and that phone is identical to the moto g 5g. the otterbox even fits on the moto g 5g which is great.
I didn't think any official ROM builds were out yet for the moto g 5g. Am I mistaken?
Nov 19, 2021
2 posts
sputnik99112 wrote: I love my Motorola z3 play, however the Motorola's lack of OS update for the z3 play leaves me bit wary to jump on this deal.
Lineage Os still supports z3 play if you are planning to change because of the lack of updates. Works great for my needs. There are some audio issue on video calls ans moto mods no longer works.
Dec 4, 2014
108 posts
43 upvotes
Longueuil
Sold mine on marketplace last month. I barely got offers and jumped on the first 200$ offer. Mine was brand new from Zoomer deal. There were a dozen selling at 200$ new. Good chances there are still some up for grabs..
Sep 11, 2009
67 posts
80 upvotes
GTA
monkimajikalle wrote: As of this writing, the A52 5G is back in stock at Staples online for delivery (may be a few straggling units at stores but you would have to check)

Sale price expires in about 5 hours so you gotta hurry! Dec 2 11:59pm ends.
UPDATE: Staples has extended the A52 5G sale @ $489.99 until Jan 6.2022 @11:59pm

Online stock for delivery available as of this writing