• Apr 11th, 2016 8:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1422 posts
1060 upvotes

[Costco] DeBuyer Heavy Duty Black 27.9 cm (11 in.) Steel Fry Pan $43.99

DeBuyer steel fry pan on sale at Costco. Other sizes also available. If seasoned steel fry pans are superior to nonstick pans and they last a lifetime or two.
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2681 posts
1561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've owned cast iron pans that are properly seasoned for years. The biggest draw of these fry pans are that they are lighter and as durable as cast iron, basically a hybrid between a non-stick pan and a cast iron pan. The non-stick properties of these steel fry pans are NOT more superior to regular non-stick pans regardless of how well seasoned they are.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1422 posts
1060 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: I've owned cast iron pans that are properly seasoned for years. The biggest draw of these fry pans are that they are lighter and as durable as cast iron, basically a hybrid between a non-stick pan and a cast iron pan. The non-stick properties of these steel fry pans are NOT more superior to regular non-stick pans regardless of how well seasoned they are.
I meant, superior to non-stick pans in the fact that you do not have the cost of constant replacement. Sorry I was not more clear in my statement.

Thanks for the concise review of cast iron,steel and non-stick.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2681 posts
1561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
profile wrote: I meant, superior to non-stick pans in the fact that you do not have the cost of constant replacement. Sorry I was not more clear in my statement.
That's true. These will last forever if you know to properly care for them. I have a carbon steel wok (made from the same material) which our family has used for decades.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3474 posts
2016 upvotes
are these idiot proof? No matter how often I tell them not to rinse hot frying pans and wait until they cool down to wash them they still do. All warped to useless hell.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2681 posts
1561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Redscott wrote: are these idiot proof? No matter how often I tell them not to rinse hot frying pans and wait until they cool down to wash them they still do. All warped to useless hell.
I wash my warm cast iron pans and carbon steel wok in hot tap water all of the time. It never warped.
Aug 23, 2010
85 posts
30 upvotes
Montreal
Redscott wrote: are these idiot proof? No matter how often I tell them not to rinse hot frying pans and wait until they cool down to wash them they still do. All warped to useless hell.
No. They will warp if plunged in water when hot.
Jun 17, 2003
693 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Redscott wrote: are these idiot proof?
The pan is idiot proof. The seasoning you build is not.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2910 posts
2274 upvotes
GTA Ontario
AsianXL wrote: I've owned cast iron pans that are properly seasoned for years. The biggest draw of these fry pans are that they are lighter and as durable as cast iron, basically a hybrid between a non-stick pan and a cast iron pan. The non-stick properties of these steel fry pans are NOT more superior to regular non-stick pans regardless of how well seasoned they are.
You're right in that the non-stickiness itself is superior in a typical coated non-stick pan. On the other hand, a properly seasoned steel pan's surface is still nicely non-stick, and it's tougher - you can use metal utensils on it, and you can heat it to much higher temperatures than a non-stick pan can take. And it's repairable - if you do manage to damage the surface somehow you can reseason it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1422 posts
1060 upvotes
I received my pan very quickly.

I was disappointed in the weight as I thought it would be much lighter than my cast iron. This is one of the reasons I purchased it as I find the cast iron is very heavy. The same size cast iron weighted 4 lb. 11 oz. The De Buyer 11 inch was exactly the same weight.

It is a beautiful pan. The box arrived with a hole in it where the handle had exited the box but little damage done.

Now must decide if it is worth keeping.
Aug 31, 2010
593 posts
643 upvotes
ON
profile wrote: I received my pan very quickly.

I was disappointed in the weight as I thought it would be much lighter than my cast iron. This is one of the reasons I purchased it as I find the cast iron is very heavy. The same size cast iron weighted 4 lb. 11 oz. The De Buyer 11 inch was exactly the same weight.

It is a beautiful pan. The box arrived with a hole in it where the handle had exited the box but little damage done.

Now must decide if it is worth keeping.
Wow that's heavy... Saw French comments complaining the weight of the 9.5 inch one, but I decided to take a chance on the 11 inch one, now probably have to return it...
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19719 posts
7202 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
By the way the costco ones are not the same as the mineral b element, handle is different especially. I ended up finding a mineral b element 14 inch for ~$40 (only one was available so don't jump down my neck about not posting). I'm sure that they are functionally identical but the element B ones definitely have a higher end finish/look to them than what I saw of the costco ones.

Don't know how much we'll use it, not a fan of cookware that requires "maintenance" - the idea of having to spend an afternoon fussing over it just to get it ready to use is very unappealing to me right now we have no time for that. :) Maybe one day... into the hoard it goes. Have other fancy pans and the one that gets used the most is a dirt cheap tfal because it's light and cleans up practically by just looking at it and wishing it were clean.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5682 posts
1432 upvotes
this pan seems a lot of work for a compromise between non stick and cast iron -- it has all of the downsides of cast iron with minimal upsides of the non stick

i mean you still need to take care of it - and not put it in the dishwasher ever..
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2681 posts
1561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
milolai wrote: this pan seems a lot of work for a compromise between non stick and cast iron -- it has all of the downsides of cast iron with minimal upsides of the non stick

i mean you still need to take care of it - and not put it in the dishwasher ever..
The hardest part is building a coating on the pan. You let it cool, rinse with hot water with a soft sponge, dry with paper towel, then store. Is it really that difficult?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5682 posts
1432 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: The hardest part is building a coating on the pan. You let it cool, rinse with hot water with a soft sponge, dry with paper towel, then store. Is it really that difficult?
and then you can't put it in the dishwasher because this coating you have made will be gone.

so yes -- 10000% more difficult than a normal non stick pan.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2681 posts
1561 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
milolai wrote: and then you can't put it in the dishwasher because this coating you have made will be gone.

so yes -- 10000% more difficult than a normal non stick pan.
Other then convenience, non-stick pans are garbage for most applications compared to Cast Iron, Stainless Steel and Carbon steel (properly seasoned).

If your primary concern for cookware is whether it's dishwasher-safe then the problem is you, not the cookware itself.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5805 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
AsianXL wrote: Other then convenience, non-stick pans are garbage for most applications compared to Cast Iron, Stainless Steel and Carbon steel (properly seasoned).

If your primary concern for cookware is whether it's dishwasher-safe then the problem is you, not the cookware itself.
+1

Never put my pans in the dishwasher, even if they say they are dishwasher safe.
Nov 28, 2010
158 posts
47 upvotes
We have a 10 inch and a 12 inch DeBuyer and they are far superior than any non stick pan you can purchase. They have already outlasted any non-stick pan we've owned. Once you build up a nice non-stick surface, it's easy to take care of it. We just wash in hot water with a brush. No soap or you'll lose it all. And I agree, no pan should ever really go in the dishwasher.
Feb 7, 2014
211 posts
68 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Mine arrived - 9.5" and 11" - last week. I washed them thoroughly then seasoned pans with Crisco canola oil and avocado oil, that's what I had and now they have a nice, even teflon-like coating. (First time owning and seasoning carbon steel pans. I researched on-line for methods to season and just did my own.) I did the stove top method 2x's, then set oven to 'clean' with the pans turned upside down and baked for 3 hours - cooled them in the oven, then did 2x's more on the stove top. Used the pans yesterday and they are perfect non-stick. I would think it common sense to season them after cooking. I don't think I have seen friends or family who puts any kind of pots or pans in the dishwasher, except in restaurants.