Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Digital piano Casio PX160 bundle 88 keys hammer action w/ stand pedals and bench - $549.99 ($150 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 5:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1027 posts
1630 upvotes

[Costco] Digital piano Casio PX160 bundle 88 keys hammer action w/ stand pedals and bench - $549.99 ($150 off)

Costco is having a great deal on the Casio PX160 digital piano bundle. This bundle includes the piano, 3 pedals offering half-pedaling capability, a nice stand and bench.

The PX160 is most likely the best bang for your buck in this price range with 88 graded tri-sensor hammer action keys, authentic piano sounds, 128 polyphony, good essential features and MIDI capabilities. The piano alone is priced between $600-$700 at other stores. If you want a digital piano packed full of features then this is probably not for you. If you want one offering a realistic experience resembling that of acoustic pianos, at the lowest price possible, then I think this is it. It is very well suited for beginners, students and hobbyists and would last you well as your skill advances.

Costco stores don't display digital pianos often save for the CDP230, so you should look to other instrument stores if you want to try it out. I also recommend trying out different brands and models (comparable or superior) if you can and if your budget permits since whichever one suits you best is a highly personal decision.

Warranty starts at 1 year, but registering the product gets you a total of 3 years warranty. Registration is done on the Casio website.
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂
6 replies
Aug 26, 2015
170 posts
121 upvotes
Can't stop kicking myself for missing their $500-$200 deal on one of those Casio digital pianos.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1330 posts
445 upvotes
We have had the PX-150 for 2.5 years, bought at $500 IIRC. The sound of the piano is great. However, starting from day 1, there is a clicking sound coming from the hammer action of all keys. I was told it's normal. I tested other models at a piano store and there is indeed a clicking sound from all of them but not as noticeable as the Casio. I eventually got used to it.

Since a few months ago, there has been hairline cracks developed across the keys of A2, A3, A4. The cracks are along the lines between the keys of Ab and Bb. I have been able to "glue" it back together with crazy clue. It's still playable but I guess that could be a design issue since they are all A key. Granted the piano was played on 2 hours almost every day.

When it becomes unplayable, I would probably upgrade to a Yamaha for not much more.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1428 posts
531 upvotes
Toronto
tkddad wrote: We have had the PX-150 for 2.5 years, bought at $500 IIRC. The sound of the piano is great. However, starting from day 1, there is a clicking sound coming from the hammer action of all keys. I was told it's normal. I tested other models at a piano store and there is indeed a clicking sound from all of them but not as noticeable as the Casio. I eventually got used to it.

Since a few months ago, there has been hairline cracks developed across the keys of A2, A3, A4. The cracks are along the lines between the keys of Ab and Bb. I have been able to "glue" it back together with crazy clue. It's still playable but I guess that could be a design issue since they are all A key. Granted the piano was played on 2 hours almost every day.

When it becomes unplayable, I would probably upgrade to a Yamaha for not much more.
If you're still within warranty (seeing how the OP's PX160 has 3 years of warranty), have you tried to claim warranty?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1330 posts
445 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote: If you're still within warranty (seeing how the OP's PX160 has 3 years of warranty), have you tried to claim warranty?
When I bought mine 2.5 years ago, the warranty was only 1 year and there were no web registration for extending the warranty. When the first crack happened, it was past 1 year and initially I thought maybe my son was pounding on the key too hard and cracked it. It was until the second and third cracks also happened to be the A key that I thought maybe it's not our fault.

I will try calling them tomorrow and see what they say.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1330 posts
445 upvotes
tkddad wrote: When I bought mine 2.5 years ago, the warranty was only 1 year and there were no web registration for extending the warranty. When the first crack happened, it was past 1 year and initially I thought maybe my son was pounding on the key too hard and cracked it. It was until the second and third cracks also happened to be the A key that I thought maybe it's not our fault.

I will try calling them tomorrow and see what they say.
I called Casio Canada and was told that there is a 3 years warranty on it instead of 1. I can either ship the piano insured at my cost or drop it off at an authorized repair center at Markham. I just have to call some lady in the Montreal head office to initialize the repair process.

This is a pleasant surprise. I will see how far I can get with this.

If anyone is interested in the noise I talk about, you can watch this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments ... _p115_key/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2017
1027 posts
1630 upvotes
tkddad wrote: I called Casio Canada and was told that there is a 3 years warranty on it instead of 1. I can either ship the piano insured at my cost or drop it off at an authorized repair center at Markham. I just have to call some lady in the Montreal head office to initialize the repair process.

This is a pleasant surprise. I will see how far I can get with this.

If anyone is interested in the noise I talk about, you can watch this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments ... _p115_key/
I'm glad you were offered a solution and hope your issues get resolved. I've only had mine for a year so I can't speak for longer than that. But part of the reason I chose this model is for its warranty and when it expires I'll probably upgrade to a higher model anyway as I progress.

My PX160 also makes a thud sound when the keys are pressed and released. It's more pronounced when the volume is at the low level. I personally didn't mind it because some acoustic pianos are also quite noisy with key release. But I see how it can be annoying especially when you play without headphones or at a low volume. That's why I think people should try out different ones if they can before buying. If that's not possible then at least Costco return policy is quite generous.

I considered the Yamaha P115 but found that it wasn't worth the extra $350. My piano teacher said that Yamaha higher end models are where they distinguishes. At the entry level Casio offers better value for money. Of course the choice comes down to preferences and available budget too. PX160 happened to work out better for me.
Blowing all savings from RFD on deals from RFD 😂