• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2019 11:30 am
[OP]
Mar 26, 2006
249 posts
91 upvotes
Brampton

[Costco] Dimmer Switches and Smart Outlets on Clearance

Noticed the standard dimmers and smart outlets on clearance in store, this was at the Brampton (410/Steele’s) location but most likely applicable to all locations. Ymmv
Images
  • 944134DC-E12F-46E4-AB24-4AFC8DE28FDD.jpeg
  • 5B151E35-D7FD-4F49-B1E4-5DD89687F686.jpeg
Last edited by bluemaru on Jul 17th, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
25 replies
Feb 20, 2017
56 posts
32 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
The smart outlets I believe are regular price
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5760 posts
699 upvotes
Ottawa
amodmallya wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:10 am
The smart outlets I believe are regular price
If the price ends in .97 at Costco, it's clearance pricing.
Aug 15, 2013
779 posts
395 upvotes
Guelph
AndyC52319 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:25 am
Do they need a hub?
Don't think these are smart dimmers, so no.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8691 posts
10164 upvotes
GT-EH
AndrewL721 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:28 am
Anyone know if those dimmers are 3-way?
Yes they are 3-way compatible.
Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
May 2, 2017
451 posts
572 upvotes
I really wouldn't recommend these dimmers. I bought 4 of them about a year ago, only 2 are still functional. One broke within a week of install (turned on the light, there was a loud snap sound and arc flash within the dimmer, then it wouldn't work). Another one, the switch seems to have broken internally, turning it on or off there's no "click" anymore. I believe they are very cheaply made.

They are the only dimmers I have ever bought that have failed. I'll stick to Leviton or GE in the future.
Mar 20, 2019
80 posts
217 upvotes
I use these dimmer switches, they are a bit finicky but they get the job done. You get what you pay for essentially, they aren't the greatest as the slider is very tiny and doesn't fully dim. When the slider is under the half way point, the lights go out instantly, I don't know if there's a way to adjust them, but I had a licensed electrician install them and he said the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7129 posts
1665 upvotes
Anfaax wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:50 am
I use these dimmer switches, they are a bit finicky but they get the job done. You get what you pay for essentially, they aren't the greatest as the slider is very tiny and doesn't fully dim. When the slider is under the half way point, the lights go out instantly, I don't know if there's a way to adjust them, but I had a licensed electrician install them and he said the same thing.
I had the same issue and ended up returning them. Bought dimmable smart bulbs instead.
Feb 5, 2017
60 posts
26 upvotes
Nice. Ill probably pick up a couple more packs. The outlet and dimmers work great with tuya-convert
Jan 19, 2017
445 posts
420 upvotes
Anfaax wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:50 am
If you take the face plate off, there is a secondary limiter that allows you to adjust to the minimum setting that your fixture or bulbs can handle. This basically allows the primary dimmer to work in full spectrum. What I would recommend is turn primary dimmer all the way to the bottom, and then turn the light on and off and set the hidden, secondary adjuster to the lowest setting possible, that will still allow the light to turn on without having to adjust the primary dimmer. Dont know if that makes sense in my description, but it will help making thats secondary adjustment.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8691 posts
10164 upvotes
GT-EH
rtookey wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:58 am
If you take the face plate off, there is a secondary limiter that allows you to adjust to the minimum setting that your fixture or bulbs can handle. This basically allows the primary dimmer to work in full spectrum. What I would recommend is turn primary dimmer all the way to the bottom, and then turn the light on and off and set the hidden, secondary adjuster to the lowest setting possible, that will still allow the light to turn on without having to adjust the primary dimmer. Dont know if that makes sense in my description, but it will help making thats secondary adjustment.
TIL... didn't know there was a secondary limiter on these switches... where is it?
Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Jan 13, 2019
24 posts
23 upvotes
AndrewL132800 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:54 am
Nice. Ill probably pick up a couple more packs. The outlet and dimmers work great with tuya-convert
Are you sure you got these ones and not the CE Smart dimmers and outlets? These dimmers don't even appear to be smart switches...
Jan 21, 2018
621 posts
488 upvotes
Vancouver
rtookey wrote:
Jul 17th, 2019 9:58 am
Good to know. I've found that with modern LED dimmer bulbs, they don't all follow a predictable brightness curve like old incandescent bulbs. Their brightness may jump up too quickly over too short a range of the dimmer, and they may cut off suddenly well before the bottom end of the dimmer range. It doesn't help that dimmers now may use different methods that interact unpredictably with LED bulb electronics - many dimmers don't change the voltage like the old analog rheostats, they pulse-modulate the voltage by turning it on and off with a varying duty cycle to control the current delivery that way.