• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2022 8:42 am
[OP]
Feb 28, 2011
703 posts
1662 upvotes
ottawa

[Costco] DLink Wi-Fi Water Sensor DCH-S161 2 pack $59.97 YMMV

Costco in Gatineau has clearance DLink Wi-Fi Water Sensor DCH-S161 2 pack $59.97. May be found in other Costco stores. YMMV on this.

Sold everywhere for $59.99 each

Here is the info:
https://ca.dlink.com/en/products/dch-s1 ... ter-sensor
Images
  • 60448079-71C2-4955-BD14-AE89855D19B2.jpeg
54 replies
Dec 12, 2019
760 posts
581 upvotes
does it actually work well?
Where do you install them ? basement?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1907 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
Bought two abs one sucks battery out like crazy. Might be defective

Basement, under sinks, where ever they’re is water..
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2019
1456 posts
3279 upvotes
Canada
xxxibgdrgn wrote: does it actually work well?
Where do you install them ? basement?
Yeah, I bought this a few weeks ago from Costco at 59.97. Was hesitant about the price....but works great, uses 2 double A batteries (comes with 4 for the 2 sets in this). Pairs well with the app, does weekly checks to make sure it's still working on it's own. Not a fan of D-Link products...or battery powered...but this def. makes me feel better when I'm doing laundry and hear the washing machine release the water lol. I installed mine near the laundry sink.
Live a little
Sep 28, 2012
105 posts
193 upvotes
I've had one for two years and I am happy with it. It works well. My main grief is that three times I found I've been logged off from the app,
and then obviously notifications don't work. Now I need to remind myself to open the app and ensure it is still logged in.
Jun 2, 2007
541 posts
680 upvotes
Markham
av10000 wrote: I've had one for two years and I am happy with it. It works well. My main grief is that three times I found I've been logged off from the app,
and then obviously notifications don't work. Now I need to remind myself to open the app and ensure it is still logged in.
That's a pretty huge flaw if you ask me. The whole point is for it to let you know only when there's a leak so you have peace of mind. Having to check the app once in a while does not put me at ease cuz what if I forget?
Don't forget to like and subscribe! 😎👍
Jun 13, 2008
138 posts
326 upvotes
Lonon
Got a pack last year, picked up two more packs again at this price. Was worth it after washing machine vented sudsy water from the rear air vent all over hardwood floor. Would have never known if not for the audible alarm.
Nov 23, 2015
72 posts
23 upvotes
psyh wrote: That's a pretty huge flaw if you ask me. The whole point is for it to let you know only when there's a leak so you have peace of mind. Having to check the app once in a while does not put me at ease cuz what if I forget?
You can connect it to google home and have it announce water detection.
Jun 13, 2008
138 posts
326 upvotes
Lonon
canoepaddles wrote: You can connect it to google home and have it announce water detection.
On the Google speaker? How did you get that working?
May 30, 2013
532 posts
605 upvotes
Markham
ysl5710 wrote: Bought two abs one sucks battery out like crazy. Might be defective

Basement, under sinks, where ever they’re is water..
I have the same problem on one of them, the battery can only last a week, but the other one is fine.
Dec 9, 2003
402 posts
179 upvotes
chanc2 wrote: I have the same problem on one of them, the battery can only last a week, but the other one is fine.
The battery that came with it died in less than a month but once I replaced it its been going on 4 months now and its sitting at 70%. It does go into power saving mode however so that must be helping with it.
Nov 25, 2021
29 posts
12 upvotes
I had these for many years.

Rarely require battery change out.

Pretty reliable so far for me. I test it once in a blue moon and I do get notifications.

I bought two more from Costco when it was $39
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1304 posts
529 upvotes
Can you set alarms with these?

I have the Samsung versions for my Smarthings hub but all it does is send your phone a notification. Which is really useful if your basement starts to flood at 1am when you are sleeping....
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
3162 posts
2509 upvotes
Victoria
Can’t speak to these D-Link but I have a pair of iHome sensors and they’ve been awesome. Have one at washing machine / hot water tank and one at the dishwasher / kitchen sink. Alerted us of an overflow in our new washing machine last year after one of our family members had added too much detergent.

Much like dashcams, there should be an insurance discount for having these in ones home.
Dec 9, 2003
402 posts
179 upvotes
RaphaelK2005 wrote: On the Google speaker? How did you get that working?
In the google home app select the sensor and there will be a toggle to allow voice alerts.
Apr 29, 2001
260 posts
135 upvotes
Montreal
janko023 wrote: In the google home app select the sensor and there will be a toggle to allow voice alerts.
Didn't know it that feature existed. I would like to activate it, so followed the steps from dlink at:

But don't see the voice notification option available for my DCH-S161 (at 2:47 min)

Device firmware was already updated to 1.07.01 and Google Home iOS is up to date.

May I ask what is your firmware version?
Last edited by gpaps on Jan 12th, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2104 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
I like my honeywell one, it has temperature as well, a bit more useful, but it is $75 regularly, been waiting to for a sale hopefully.
Dec 9, 2003
402 posts
179 upvotes
gpaps wrote: Didn't know it that feature existed. I would like to activate it, so followed the steps from dlink at:

But don't see the voice notification option available for my DCH-S161 (at 2:47 min)

Device firmware was already updated to 1.07.01 and Google Home iOS is up to date.

May I ask what is your firmware version?
Same FW as you. Maybe try to remove it from home and relink it