DLink Wi-Fi Water Sensor DCH-S161 2 pack $59.97 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2022 8:42 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5119 posts
4547 upvotes
Toronto
janko023 wrote: The battery that came with it died in less than a month but once I replaced it its been going on 4 months now and its sitting at 70%. It does go into power saving mode however so that must be helping with it.
Agreed, I have these sensors as well, and the no-name batteries packaged with them died within a month.

Otherwise, great piece of mind wherever there is a water source.
Apr 29, 2001
260 posts
135 upvotes
Montreal
janko023 wrote: Same FW as you. Maybe try to remove it from home and relink it
Hey that worked! I see the option for Voice notifications now. Never would have thought of it. Thanks a lot!
Jun 13, 2008
138 posts
326 upvotes
Lonon
janko023 wrote: In the google home app select the sensor and there will be a toggle to allow voice alerts.
I tried it last night and wasn't working. Think I figured out why, 3 of my 6 sensors are only 'linked' me but I never finished assigning them to a 'home'. The one I tested was un-assigned. I'll try out later tonight. I'm thinking of just assigning them all to a room called 'Leak Sensors', otherwise many rooms are filled with non-interactable smart items... probably why they were left un-assigned.

What kind of response time do you get? I linked D-Link with IFTTT with my Wiz lights to turn red, but took a good 10 seconds to respond.
Sep 10, 2009
196 posts
70 upvotes
anyone know if there is a plug-in water sensor or something better?
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16622 posts
11362 upvotes
Markham
Been meaning to replace my water sensors (alarm - no wif) with something like this. Not sure I want to pay $30.

Anyone try the Tuya Wifi water leak sensor....sub $10 each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000990 ... mainSearch

Mod to adapter - no batteries

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Jun 13, 2008
138 posts
326 upvotes
Lonon
gr8dlr wrote: Been meaning to replace my water sensors (alarm - no wif) with something like this. Not sure I want to pay $30.

Anyone try the Tuya Wifi water leak sensor....sub $10 each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000990 ... mainSearch

Mod to adapter - no batteries

Don't like the pronged probe design, very orientation dependent. Wire seems thick to so may want to twist and bias the probe - Would need something to hold the prongs to the floor. The d-link 'pill' has metal strips all around and will lay flat on ground regardless which side its on. The link cable is thin is easy to maneuver and get a good spot. . Also consider if and where you have power available.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16622 posts
11362 upvotes
Markham
RaphaelK2005 wrote: Don't like the pronged probe design, very orientation dependent. Wire seems thick to so may want to twist and bias the probe - Would need something to hold the prongs to the floor. The d-link 'pill' has metal strips all around and will lay flat on ground regardless which side its on. The link cable is thin is easy to maneuver and get a good spot. . Also consider if and where you have power available.
I'd find a way so probes are still workable. For $8 it's more accessible to put one in all places where you want to monitor.

Double sided tape to wall
double sided tape to anything that has weight and then you can place it.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Feb 18, 2008
29 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough
These are pretty good and as said pairable to Google or Apple HomeKit if you run HOOBS. Or can be setup in Home Assistant for good smart home tech. If you can get them for $30 each, they are worth it. Batteries last a long time and powered units run the risk of power outages during crucial times.
Whatever is not nailed down, is mine. Whatever I can pry loose, was not nailed down.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1591 posts
254 upvotes
Hamilton
how much instore? I have two pack and its been working so far. I like how no monthly subscription.
Dec 9, 2003
402 posts
179 upvotes
RaphaelK2005 wrote: I tried it last night and wasn't working. Think I figured out why, 3 of my 6 sensors are only 'linked' me but I never finished assigning them to a 'home'. The one I tested was un-assigned. I'll try out later tonight. I'm thinking of just assigning them all to a room called 'Leak Sensors', otherwise many rooms are filled with non-interactable smart items... probably why they were left un-assigned.

What kind of response time do you get? I linked D-Link with IFTTT with my Wiz lights to turn red, but took a good 10 seconds to respond.
I would link it to a room so you have things organized but as long as you name it something descriptive then you should be fine either way. Response time is around the same, it will need to wake up when it senses it and then to send out the notification.
Aug 23, 2001
388 posts
461 upvotes
NS
Here is an interesting use case:
I set up Samsung SmartThings water sensors at my parents' place to turn off the well water pump (using a TPLink smart outlet) if water is detected by any of the sensors.
If you have municipal water, you could possibly install an electric valve to shut your water off in the event the sensors go off.

Cheers
Nov 17, 2013
241 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto, ON
any idea on an item number? how do i see if my costco has it?
Feb 10, 2007
453 posts
194 upvotes
Mailliw wrote: Here is an interesting use case:
I set up Samsung SmartThings water sensors at my parents' place to turn off the well water pump (using a TPLink smart outlet) if water is detected by any of the sensors.
If you have municipal water, you could possibly install an electric valve to shut your water off in the event the sensors go off.

Cheers
What happened to all the SmartThings sensors? They were much cheaper than what is out there now, and as they were tied to SmartThings the integration possibilities were limitless. It seems many of the sensors have pulled back to only having functionality with their proprietary branded software, and integration took a step back... I have a similar system to what you set up but mine closes the ball valve at the water meter. Anyone remember stringify? That was the golden age, I guess...
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4548 posts
1419 upvotes
ryar wrote: What happened to all the SmartThings sensors? They were much cheaper than what is out there now, and as they were tied to SmartThings the integration possibilities were limitless. It seems many of the sensors have pulled back to only having functionality with their proprietary branded software, and integration took a step back... I have a similar system to what you set up but mine closes the ball valve at the water meter. Anyone remember stringify? That was the golden age, I guess...
https://www.amazon.ca/THIRDREALITY-Noti ... 08R9PS2KG/
Sep 21, 2011
50 posts
154 upvotes
Calgary
anyone seen these in calgary? ive been waiting for them to go on sale
Feb 25, 2013
56 posts
20 upvotes
Saint-Pascal
jasonchewy wrote: I like my honeywell one, it has temperature as well, a bit more useful, but it is $75 regularly, been waiting to for a sale hopefully.
I find the Honeywell ones to be garbage the app keeps telling my I crossed my geofence and the alerts only go to email where as I want it be alerted right away via the app on my phone if it detects water.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2104 posts
1249 upvotes
Toronto
eldude wrote: I find the Honeywell ones to be garbage the app keeps telling my I crossed my geofence and the alerts only go to email where as I want it be alerted right away via the app on my phone if it detects water.
I've never encountered this problem. So you're saying if you walk outside your home with your phone, the alerts will only come via email??
I'm using this one, in case we're talking about different things:
https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-RCHW361 ... B01HBZQYYC
Jul 1, 2006
540 posts
308 upvotes
GTA
I bought the walmart merkury brand water sensor couple of years ago for $4 clearance I believe. https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/merkury-in ... 0199728279 , works great. Have to change battery once a year though.

its has local speaker for alert, which is pretty loud and also get app notifications for any alerts (low bat, water detection erc). works for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4213 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
jasonchewy wrote: I've never encountered this problem. So you're saying if you walk outside your home with your phone, the alerts will only come via email??
I'm using this one, in case we're talking about different things:
https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-RCHW361 ... B01HBZQYYC
I'm using the same ones and don't have a problem either. After 1 year 88% battery left on each one. Pretty good!

Only problem is I can't get them to show up in Google Home.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6206 posts
415 upvotes
Murica
Mailliw wrote: Here is an interesting use case:

Cheers
Yup, that’s what I got.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)