[Costco] DoorDash gift card $100 for $84.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 9:26 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2020
104 posts
563 upvotes

[Costco] DoorDash gift card $100 for $84.99

DoorDash gift card $100 for $84.99 15% off.

https://www.costco.ca/%24100-doordash-e ... 27765.html
45 replies
Jun 5, 2016
589 posts
743 upvotes
I got a similar deal for Skip the Dishes and realized the prices are marked up more than 15% for most restaurants (compared to Uber eats or directly). Is this the case for DoorDash too?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
3074 posts
1685 upvotes
Toronto
Doordash is awful in everyway. Just support restaurants directly and call them.
Aug 7, 2015
159 posts
111 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I always order from the restaurant directly, saves them and me money. Doordash tacks on extra fees that they're not transparent about (lumping them all into a single "Taxes and fees" category), also their customer service is terrible and non-responsive - they were unwilling to reimburse for items missing from my order. All this, and as others mentioned, paying an extra 10-15% over what the restaurant charges directly.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2343 posts
1279 upvotes
Great. 15% off to pay for a 40% premium. Seems reasonable.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
2952 posts
965 upvotes
Toronto
I wish Costco would bring back the Uber Eats gift cards :*(

I've had such bad experiences with Door Dash. Occasionally they e-mail me a promotional code but it doesn't work when I enter it into the app.

They need to get their act together!
Apr 9, 2019
16 posts
1 upvote
This is a good warm IMO if you order food a lot.
BTW, does anyone happen to know which category it falls in regarding credit cards cash back?
Nov 12, 2017
292 posts
359 upvotes
Cambridge
Uber eats might be better for you, but it still sucks for the business.

Source: Family owns a deli. They charge something like 40% of the cost. We can't justify those margins.

People that use food delivery are essentially increasing the price of their own food.

If you want cheaper food, order direct and ask for coupons or specials directly.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5557 posts
1420 upvotes
Next time you're thinking about ordering DoorDash/Skip/UberEats, hop on the restaurants site directly and check out the price difference. You'd be surprised how much cheaper it is to call the restaurant directly and pick it up yourself!
Nov 22, 2016
170 posts
278 upvotes
Toronto
The amount of hidden fees, service fees etc., and tips to the person getting it adds up a lot by the time ur at checkout. I dont really use these apps personally unless thr is a offer like 50% or 75% off something going on. On top of that the prices in app are mostly very expensive than thr website or menu prices when u order directly from restaurant to cover the share these apps take from them~
😱-Deals!
Jul 20, 2012
684 posts
178 upvotes
Air Force One
You guys really like to oversimplify things to make it look like a bad deal. That's not always the case.

Not all restaurants raise prices on DoorDash. Sometimes you might have a promo code to use.
If you have a car or if it's not unreasonably out of your way, you can do pick up to avoid fees.

I've picked up a few of these GCs in the past month and it's been well worth it.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1247 posts
214 upvotes
Ottawa
stizarch wrote: Uber eats might be better for you, but it still sucks for the business.

Source: Family owns a deli. They charge something like 40% of the cost. We can't justify those margins.

People that use food delivery are essentially increasing the price of their own food.

If you want cheaper food, order direct and ask for coupons or specials directly.
Think of it as advertising cost... reality is their here to stay and not much anyone can do.

As a consumer I would pay a little more for the same food so I know when it’s coming, and have some assurance I will be compensated for a refund if something goes wrong with the food.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5557 posts
1420 upvotes
SerenityNow168 wrote: You guys really like to oversimplify things to make it look like a bad deal. That's not always the case.

Not all restaurants raise prices on DoorDash. Sometimes you might have a promo code to use.
If you have a car or if it's not unreasonably out of your way, you can do pick up to avoid fees.

I've picked up a few of these GCs in the past month and it's been well worth it.
This is a good point and something I didn't think of. At the very least buying this gift card makes it somewhat even to just going to the restaurant and picking up yourself, so definitely a decent option
Jun 3, 2008
141 posts
152 upvotes
Newmarket
fremmy wrote: I got a similar deal for Skip the Dishes and realized the prices are marked up more than 15% for most restaurants (compared to Uber eats or directly). Is this the case for DoorDash too?
For pickup for me, the price via DoorDash was the same as on the company web site.

I assume this is restaurant dependent as they can set whatever prices they want via DoorDash.
Mar 8, 2009
118 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
fremmy wrote: I got a similar deal for Skip the Dishes and realized the prices are marked up more than 15% for most restaurants (compared to Uber eats or directly). Is this the case for DoorDash too?
Pay $11.50 on skip or $10 + $1.50 service fee on uber eats, your choice.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5024 posts
1008 upvotes
Montreal
It depends on the situation.

If I go pick up in person, I’d waste 30 min on a round trip plus the gas in my SUV at -10 to -20C.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6112 posts
4720 upvotes
I am done with these services that rip off our restaurants in the time of needs.

Drive there and pick it up yourself and call ahead and order. Help your local SMB out.
Sep 25, 2015
475 posts
822 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stizarch wrote: Uber eats might be better for you, but it still sucks for the business.

If that's the case, why not post the 40% discount here on RFD for your family deli. Right now the only option is to use UberEats with UberEats promo. Local restaurants really need to start offering incentives to order direct.