• May 29th, 2019 12:32 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
2028 posts
570 upvotes
Ottawa
kronos288 wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:40 pm
Huh? Obscure? Far as I know any flashlight at that lumen output that takes AAs would either overheat in no time or have an incredibly short life time.

Bought one myself. Thanks OP.
WHAT? which AA light overheats? AA usually can't provide enough juice to really push the LED. When you get into Lithium batteries with 18650 sizes, then you start getting lights that will legit burn stuff.
cheapshopper wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 9:47 pm
really good deal, but I got too many differ size LED flash light in last 3 years.
Every time there is good deal come out, I was thinking: Wow. good price, lets get it when I can, just in case I need an extra one.
:twisted:
I'm taking you visit BLF or /r/flashlights or CPF? Once you get in, you start burning a hole in your wallet.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4381 posts
1301 upvotes
Debtario
I tried one of these in store and passed. The head is made up of 4 smaller and shallowly placed LED emitters behind a plastic cover, 2 are frosted for diffused wide-angle output while 2 are clear and more focused for a fake "zoom" effect, at full power all 4 are turned on. I wasn't impressed with the output, as with most chinese flashlights out there I suspect the lumen claim is heavily inflated. Some of the lights I own verified to be 900 to ~1K lumens appear much brighter, likely due to better optics and a larger single LED emitter, those also get hot at full power and have built in heatsinks, even the ones that run off 4 AA cells, nevermind the lithiums!

The body is indeed metal (think a rolled up sheet of steel - no finely CNC'd masterpiece here, folks!) underneath the plastic, though any heatsinking is negated by a thick rubber boot over the head. It does feel fairly solid, for $13 It's worth a shot if you're not a flashaholic.

My flashlight snob is coming out, I'll just stop talking and point you to visit BLF. There is insane hardware out there at reasonable prices that will ruin any perceptions of bright LEDs you may have from playing with department store flashlights. No exaggeration, just like watches it's a VERY slippery slope into the enlightenment of insanity.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3732 posts
1029 upvotes
Which is the most powerful fleshlight?
Feb 1, 2013
82 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
I had this and returned it. There's four setting and you have to cycle through all of them just to go back to the first one. For example, Full power, OFF, med power, OFF, wide power, OFF, low power, OFF ...repeat
Feb 1, 2013
82 posts
134 upvotes
Ottawa
vivibaby wrote:
May 24th, 2019 3:03 am
lol... Theres only one fleshlight as far as I know. You control the speed. It's not like one of those Japanese versions where it does it for you

Edit: okay I just looked and there's more than one but you still control the speed
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2011
2306 posts
2459 upvotes
Calgary
$20 at Etobicoke Costco.
Rule No.1 here: Buy first, Think afterwards.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12043 posts
3023 upvotes
Ottawa
ahammad wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 11:33 pm
I heard these have horrible current drain and will lose a lot of charge when stored. Not worth it if it is true....a battery company selling a tool that requires batteries? I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't design it for maximum efficiency.
the picture in the OP says it has no battery drain when off. It sems like they fixed that issue and want you to know about it since it's the first bullet.

The cycling through the modes would be annoying though.

I guess this thing is worth a shot at the price. Just remember that if you do store it, keep the batteries separated from the light because chances are, the C alkaline batteries will leak and you have a dead light. I used to have C maglites and they all suffered that fate. With AA lights, you can use Lithium disposables for reliable storage.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and not paying full price like Joe Shmoe did. This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Nov 20, 2009
838 posts
420 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
vivibaby wrote:
I have a used Ikea Jerker desk for sale to complement any fleshlight that you may come across.
Oct 30, 2012
136 posts
57 upvotes
PETERBOROUGH
SleepyEyez wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:00 pm
Yes size C battery
I refuse to buy almost anything powered by C batteries. They are 1/3 the size of D batteries and cost the same. It also seems that lots of the items using C batteries have plenty of room for D's. Good for Duracell's bottom line but not much else.
Last edited by abrahamdick on May 26th, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13815 posts
3226 upvotes
London
One thing I found with some of these cheapie flashlights is that you can’t use ni-mh rechargeable batteries in some of them. The LED circuit doesn’t have any current limiting capabilities and depends on the naturally high impedance in alkaline batteries to limit the current flow. If you substitute a low impedance battery like ni-mh , it has a bigger current capacity and the cheapie LED circuit will actually burn out.

You have to read the reviews carefully to see if a particular flashlight is compatible with rechargeable batteries
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25159 posts
3245 upvotes
Hamilton
vivibaby wrote:
Yours, say no more
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8652 posts
10018 upvotes
GT-EH
FYI - apparently no push/pull zoom function on head which is a deal breaker for me.
Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Dec 10, 2012
737 posts
367 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I prefer diy flashlights.

get 3 lithium ion batteries from used laptop packs to power a MR16 12 volt led light. Works great and gives a much broader spread of light.
Mar 5, 2016
252 posts
112 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
May 24th, 2019 7:27 am
the picture in the OP says it has no battery drain when off. It sems like they fixed that issue and want you to know about it since it's the first bullet.
My bad, you're right. At least they were aware.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2808 posts
1522 upvotes
Toronto
sirxterminator wrote:
May 24th, 2019 11:53 am
I prefer diy flashlights.

get 3 lithium ion batteries from used laptop packs to power a MR16 12 volt led light. Works great and gives a much broader spread of light.
Curious to try this, you got a video tutorial you followed to make it? Where did you buy the parts and how do you charge it?