• Nov 22nd, 2020 9:13 am
[OP]
Mar 20, 2011
278 posts
859 upvotes
Markham

Costco Eames Lounge Chair Replicas?

https://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?dep ... lounge0520

Costco seems to be selling these Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair replicas made by a local company called David Divani Designs. Anyone ever heard of them?
The HM ones go for around $5-6k, while these are $1200 now and the Costco newsletter promotes that they'll be $1000 in June.

There are countless other replicas that go as cheap as $600-700 but probably have poor workmanship and materials. This one seems to indicate using top grain leather, and well, it's from Costco. Still an expensive chair, but I've always never cared about the brand, just loved the look of the chair, and don't have $6k to blow... if it's good quality, $1k, maybe I can splurge.
18 replies
May 1, 2020
1 posts
4 upvotes
This chair is the exact one everyone is selling elsewhere. They are all coming from the same facotry in China. They even come in the same colour options on every website and exact same dimensions. All the sellers are selling this exact chair for $900-$2000, so at least with Costco you are getting a good deal. The reason you see such price differences is because they are trying to make it seam like they are selling a higher quality product, when in fact that is not true. I have heard the quality is ok, but not as good as some manufacturers that make it themselves (Eternity modern for example).

If you want it go for it. Costco is very good with returns so you are fine if you don't like it or have problems right off the bat. Keep in mind that from the looks of the picture the first one is redwood, second is walnut, and third is oak. Just an observation, but I might be wrong.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1084 posts
506 upvotes
Winnipeg
I saw this too. It seems very tempting at the price point and low risk given that it is Costco. I don't have any insight on the manufacturer other than they've allegedly been around since 1995. I'm in the same boat as you in that I love the chair's look bit I'll never pay $6k for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3391 posts
1196 upvotes
Woodbridge
When Costco is concerned, I always buy and see and then return if I don't like it. When it comes to stuff like this you never know the build quality or durability until you actually have it in front of you. Assuming they don't have any on display in a warehouse, you have no other choice but to buy it. The only caveat might be that these are larger items and might be a pain to return; however, Costco will send UPS to pick up from your home for stuff like this, won't they?

For what it's worth, I've had very good experiences with furniture from Costco, both in terms of items that we've had for many years that are very durable and high-quality and in terms of returning items that broke down well before they should have. Costco is the first place I will look for furniture, exercise equipment etc. For me, nothing will beat the peace of mind that their return policy offers.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2011
278 posts
859 upvotes
Markham
I've actually had very good experience with furniture from Costco as well.
Bought a dining table set with 4 chairs when I moved into a new house. Within a few months started to feel the seats cushions sag. By about 12 months after the purchase, our butts felt more of the frames the the cushions when we sat down. Called Costco to see if they can help replace the chairs or send someone for warranty work. They said it's passed warranty but they said I can return it no questions asked under their satisfaction guarantee policy. Only problem was I can't just return the chairs but had to return the whole set. I ended up buying a slightly more expensive standalone white quartz dining table from them (which the Mrs loved 10x more than the wooden one being returned) and they sent guys to pick up my old set. Pretty hassle free.

Anyway, I didn't realize they were all ones out of the same factory. Kinda figured there might still be a still high(er) quality local manufacturers who would try their hand at pushing out their version of this iconic chair. Which is not to say that ALL stuff from China is bad... iPhones are manufactured there... but my experience with Chinese furniture has so far been pretty meh... especially when it comes to cushions, which would be a real deal breaker on a chair that still costs $1k at the end of the day.
[OP]
Mar 20, 2011
278 posts
859 upvotes
Markham
lol you'd think $1k would buy you assembly. Guess $1k isn't worth as much as I thought in 2020
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3226 posts
3025 upvotes
So this is going to be $1K for sure in June? How solid is this info OP? x)
Nov 15, 2011
220 posts
222 upvotes
NORTH YORK
It’s in the Costco connections may/june issue p22
6/8-6/21 200$ off
[OP]
Mar 20, 2011
278 posts
859 upvotes
Markham
pongster wrote: So this is going to be $1K for sure in June? How solid is this info OP? x)
g5spark wrote: It’s in the Costco connections may/june issue p22
6/8-6/21 200$ off
That.
Feb 28, 2016
52 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary
You guys think is safe to order now and request a price match in June while the promotion is on?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
2044 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone buy one? There looks to be 4 bolts on the underside of both the chair and ottoman, which looks very out of place, and not in the original. My assumption is it isn't the greatest of replicas..
[OP]
Mar 20, 2011
278 posts
859 upvotes
Markham
tragd wrote: Did anyone buy one? There looks to be 4 bolts on the underside of both the chair and ottoman, which looks very out of place, and not in the original. My assumption is it isn't the greatest of replicas..
I emailed them about that and apparently the bolts are not in the product they sell.
see my post on costco-costco-ca-eames-chair-replica-99 ... #p32673503 for pictures of their actual product that they sent me
but RFD effect has brought it OOS for now
Sep 4, 2006
939 posts
569 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought one last time they had it. Beautiful, comfy, but it was so creaky it drove me crazy. I returned it. If you're buying it to look at, go for it. If you actually want to use it... think twice.
Sep 19, 2006
24 posts
4 upvotes
Have anyone received their chair from Costco?

How do you feel about the chair?
Mar 22, 2008
1 posts
4 upvotes
Just got it a few days ago... Beautiful, comfortable, love it. I'm not an expert on leather, but it feels nice enough. I think if you look at the details, some things won't be perfect (slightly uneven shaped leather arm rest on mine), but I think it's an excellent replica overall.
Dec 29, 2006
95 posts
3 upvotes
awan831 wrote: Just got it a few days ago... Beautiful, comfortable, love it. I'm not an expert on leather, but it feels nice enough. I think if you look at the details, some things won't be perfect (slightly uneven shaped leather arm rest on mine), but I think it's an excellent replica overall.

looking to get the chair, mind sharing some photos! :)
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14173 posts
10497 upvotes
Waste of money IMO. for that price I’d rather buy a lounger from a reputable company and not made in China. Spend your money on quality furniture that will last...

The original may seem expensive but warranty is excellent and these babies can last forever.