Expired Hot Deals

[Costco] Ecobee3 Lite Smarter Wi-Fi Thermostat with 2 Remote Sensors, Black Apple HomeKit Enabled

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2018 7:17 pm
[OP]
Sep 9, 2014
12 posts
24 upvotes
Victoria, BC

[Costco] Ecobee3 Lite Smarter Wi-Fi Thermostat with 2 Remote Sensors, Black Apple HomeKit Enabled

36% off the Ecobee3 Wi-Fi Thermostat based on Amazon.ca price of $342. I have owned this thermostat for about 2 years and would recommend it.

I believe this version of the Ecobee has been discontinued since the introduction of the Ecobee Lite and the Ecobee 4 which explains why the retail prices don't make sense. In my opinion, this is the sweet spot in terms of price because the E3 has a built-in motion and temperature sensor, this with the 2 sensors included, you have 3 points for temperature readings and motion to determine if anyone is home and which rooms to prioritize.

The E4 ($319.00) has everything the E3 does, but also Alexa built in. The E3 Lite ($219.00) has all the wifi thermostat features, but no motion or temperature sensor.

Links for more info:

Amazon E3:

https://www.amazon.ca/ecobee3-Smarter-T ... ds=ecobee3

Earlier RFD thread on Ecobee: upgrade to Ecobee smart thermostat worthwhile?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/upgrade ... e-2157822/
Images
  • IMG_0280.jpg
  • IMG_0281.jpg
Last edited by jeffincanada on Jun 13th, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
61 replies
Aug 17, 2008
201 posts
888 upvotes
Also own, and also recommend.

I have had this for 6 months, it has worked wonderfully and had allowed me to save over $100 in my heating / cooling costs already. The payback for me will be less than 2 years.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7438 posts
5727 upvotes
Oakville
jungling wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 7:21 pm
Also own, and also recommend.

I have had this for 6 months, it has worked wonderfully and had allowed me to save over $100 in my heating / cooling costs already. The payback for me will be less than 2 years.
$100! Did you have a completely non-programmable tstat before?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3074 posts
337 upvotes
How many wires for the thermostat . I think my old one is only two .
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2654 posts
333 upvotes
BC
Fair price. I've owned mine for 1.5 years and I love it. I thought I'd be using Alexa or Siri to change the temperature constantly, but it's so smart I haven't touched it in over year. Perfect if you have central air!

The Ecobee4 is not worth the price premium IMO, just buy a echo dot on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5920 posts
986 upvotes
Mont-Royal
I hired an electrician to install but it doesn't work

Doesn't turn on. No electricity to power it. I only have 2 cables in my old non electric thermostat device
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Jun 4, 2006
212 posts
38 upvotes
Ecobee3 lite does not support humidifiers as well, which kinda sucks. I don't need an Alexa-thermostat, but I like the WiFi controls in my Nest.

I'd jump to the Ecobee ecosystem if only the lite supported my humidifier.
Aug 11, 2017
219 posts
75 upvotes
jungling wrote: Also own, and also recommend.

Bs math
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8801 posts
8376 upvotes
According to the OP photo, Costco is selling E3 Lite with 2 room sensors for $219.99
But OP is comparing E3 with a room sensor for $342.
E3 comes with more feature like humidifier control where E3 Lite does not have. Therefore, E3 costs more than a E3 Lite.

I have a E3 Lite with 1 room sensor. I wish I have a E3 so that I can control my humidifier with the smart thermostat.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1253 posts
201 upvotes
jeffincanada wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 7:06 pm

The E4 ($319.00) has everything the E3 does, but also Alexa built in. The E3 Lite ($219.00) has all the wifi thermostat features, but no motion or temperature sensor.
Well a bit of a correction, e3 lite does have a temperature sensor otherwise it would be useless as a thermostat.

It doesn't have a home/away sensor which is stupid because it does have a motion sensor which turns the brightness up when you walk close to it but they have disabled the home away feature to upsell e3 and e4. You can also pair up remote sensors with the e3 lite as well but it doesn't come with any.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2005
8801 posts
8376 upvotes
awais wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 9:53 pm
Well a bit of a correction, e3 lite does have a temperature sensor otherwise it would be useless as a thermostat.

It doesn't have a home/away sensor which is stupid because it does have a motion sensor which turns the brightness up when you walk close to it but they have disabled the home away feature to upsell e3 and e4. You can also pair up remote sensors with the e3 lite as well but it doesn't come with any.
E3 Lite has motion sensing on the thermostat itself and at the room sensors. E3 Lite supports away feature. When the thermostat and room sensors in your system determined that there is no one in the house (i.e. no motion detected), it will switch to the "Away" activity temperature setting.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $41 6GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
5920 posts
986 upvotes
Mont-Royal
rob187 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 9:01 pm
https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/art ... tallations

a first year apprentice can do what you need. hire someone else.
is nest better since it has a built in battery?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101