• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2020 6:47 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
15918 posts
10644 upvotes
Toronto
sudesingh wrote: Doesn't Costco display the EHF with the posted price. I'm almost certain they do it for TV's ...hmmm

I'm heading to Costco this evening anyways, so I'll check.
yes they do...it's written as "eco fee" right on the item signage.

Here's a pic I borrowed from @inferno_gn weekly thread. He's in Quebec but it's similar here:
eco fee.jpg
Feb 4, 2011
694 posts
475 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Recycling fee, eco fee, COVID cleaning fee, GST, HST...Canada and the USA are outliers when it comes to tacking these on at the register. In most of the rest of the world these are are required to be built into the price by law, including the taxes. Otherwise where does it stop? Blank CD copying levy, fire safety compliance fee, elevator inspection fee, winter heating fee, staff room fridge and microwave replacement fund fee, yadda yadda. Enough already. Just raise the damn price to include all of the costs and quit surprising us at checkout. Of course no retailer is going to do this voluntarily because it will make their prices appear higher than their competitors. That's why it would need to be regulated, as it is everywhere else.
I totally agree with you but Just ask your friends or neighbours how much they pay to government, on a liter of gas. You will be surprised.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6388 posts
5440 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Recycling fee, eco fee, COVID cleaning fee, GST, HST...Canada and the USA are outliers when it comes to tacking these on at the register. In most of the rest of the world these are are required to be built into the price by law, including the taxes. Otherwise where does it stop? Blank CD copying levy, fire safety compliance fee, elevator inspection fee, winter heating fee, staff room fridge and microwave replacement fund fee, yadda yadda. Enough already. Just raise the damn price to include all of the costs and quit surprising us at checkout. Of course no retailer is going to do this voluntarily because it will make their prices appear higher than their competitors. That's why it would need to be regulated, as it is everywhere else.
I think it's only in certain parts of Europe for certain things, majority of world don't require fees/taxes be built into the price.

It's not in Asia and they are majority already. So it'd more like small minority of countries require what you're saying

Heck in Europe, while vat is included, service fees, table fees in places like Spain/Portugal are extra and not part of posted price for items