• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 9:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2382 posts
4729 upvotes

[Costco] Ember Travel Mug 1st gen (White) [$99.97]

I was browsing the Costco website a few mins ago and saw that they have the first generation Ember Travel Mug (white) for $100. Now, I don’t think these are worth the original price of $230 or something like that but if you like to take your time to drink your hot beverages and like them held at a specific temp then this might be worth looking into.

The battery on this is better than the non travel mug and lasts me around the stated 2 hours when not on the base (I keep one at work), but still leaves something to be desired. The wife and I each have one and have no complaints other than the small capacity and the battery being kind of meh. The second gen is better but costs more.

I understand you can get a vacuum insulated mug like a Zoji or something, but most people that have one will tell you that they are almost too good at keeping things hot. If you make your coffee or tea in the morning and try to drink it in an hour or so it will still be too hot to drink.

There is another company I heard of that makes a similar product, I have never tried that one but it apparently achieves a similar result without the use of batteries or apps. Link

39 replies
Mar 26, 2006
351 posts
234 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
How well or bad does this retain heat? Does this work like an insulated travel mug if not powered on or just like a mug?
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18386 posts
6401 upvotes
Toronto
$100 for a heated mug? LOL.
Apr 18, 2017
624 posts
1191 upvotes
This is a great deal. Not sure why people hating.

I just wish it was the mug.
Jan 14, 2013
183 posts
119 upvotes
Newmarket
I have the regular Ember mug and absolutely love it. I’ve had bad luck with the charging pucks but their customer service has replaced it without issue a few times. Not sure I see the point of this travel mug because a regular thermos keeps coffee scalding hot for hours. Either way, great deal - would be in for one if I didn’t own the regular Ember.
Jan 8, 2010
160 posts
269 upvotes
leishmann wrote: I have the regular Ember mug and absolutely love it. I’ve had bad luck with the charging pucks but their customer service has replaced it without issue a few times. Not sure I see the point of this travel mug because a regular thermos keeps coffee scalding hot for hours. Either way, great deal - would be in for one if I didn’t own the regular Ember.
What's the difference between the mug and something like this? https://www.amazon.ca/Salton-SMW12-Mug- ... 609&sr=8-5
Not judging, genuinely curious.
Jan 14, 2013
183 posts
119 upvotes
Newmarket
sunnysideup1 wrote: What's the difference between the mug and something like this? https://www.amazon.ca/Salton-SMW12-Mug- ... 609&sr=8-5
That Amazon mug is more like a heating coaster. The Ember mug has a heating element directly in the mug itself and all the base is for is charging. It keeps my coffee hot for about 40 minutes. I’m super particular about wanting my coffee very hot, was always microwaving coffee after only a few minutes... so I’m the perfect user for the regular Ember.
Jan 14, 2013
183 posts
119 upvotes
Newmarket
If anyone ends up buying an Ember mug because of me please do not buy the copper edition. It’s ridiculously expensive. If anyone does buy it... don’t tell me - I’ll be jealous.

Ember Copper
Sep 3, 2019
511 posts
316 upvotes
GTA
sunnysideup1 wrote: What's the difference between the mug and something like this? https://www.amazon.ca/Salton-SMW12-Mug- ... 609&sr=8-5
I have this. It can heat liquids up but the more liquid in the cup, the longer it'll take to heat up to a certain temperature (ie quarter cup will be hot fairly quickly, but full cup will likely take forever to become hot). Half a cup or less is when I turn it on if I want to drink it in a reasonable timeframe
Sep 16, 2011
286 posts
239 upvotes
Lethbridge
lol, priced just under $100 so that I can't use my new membership $60 voucher... not a fan of white though anyways.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2382 posts
4729 upvotes
jiggajayd wrote: How well or bad does this retain heat? Does this work like an insulated travel mug if not powered on or just like a mug?
No insulation at all, loses heat about as fast as a normal cup with a lid
Sep 22, 2010
19 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Who else here thinks Zojirushi vacuum insulated bottles are the best?