Shopping Discussion

Costco Employees b.s.'ing about Costco return policy

[OP]
Jr. Member
Feb 13, 2009
192 posts
4 upvotes

Costco Employees b.s.'ing about Costco return policy

My husband returned an item to Costco today, because it was defective. It was a cordless phone that we've been having issues with for about six months. The problems started about a year after we purchased the phone, so we figured it was the rechargeable battery. Replaced batteries, still the same problems.

Costco employee at the service desk told my husband that their policy is to only accept returns up only while the manufacturer's warranty is valid, and she is unable to give him a refund.

My husband asked to speak with a Manager, who told him essentially the same thing. My husband pointed at the sign in the warehouse which read (may not be word for word) Items returned to customers satisfactions, except electronics (which have the 90 day return).

My husband asked the first Manager for a copy of their return policy. His reply was that it's on the membership sign up form.... my husband asked for a copy of the sign up form, and it actually says:

"We ask that you return it in it's original packaging within 30 days"

My husband then asked to speak with the Store Manager, who accepted the return.

It appears to me that Costco does not have a return policy, save for the clear 90 days on electronics. I am not arguing if we should have taken something back 18 months after purchasing it, that is subjective and everyone's opinion will vary. My concern is Costco Employees not knowing, or perhaps being dishonest about, or being mis-lead about their store's return policies, or lack thereof.

I don't actually even mind if there is no return policy, but I dislike being TOLD they have a return policy when indeed it appears they do not.

Has anyone here ever read an official copy of Costco's return policy?
73 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
If you want to be literal about it, a cordless phone is an electronic device which has a 90 day return policy; so no you should not have been able to return it.
Sr. Member
Feb 10, 2006
717 posts
355 upvotes
Winnipeg
So, you were returning an electronic item, which you acknowledge they pointed out in multiple places has a 90 day return policy, after 18 months, and you're upset that they told you they would have returned it up until a year?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 3, 2006
4549 posts
1549 upvotes
Costco has a lenient return policy. Although it says 30 days, as your husband found out, they'll take things back for ages. I don't really see the issue here? The policy says 30 days (except for electronics) but they stretch it to accomodate customers. It's not that they don't know the policy, it's that they have discretion to be flexible.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5128 posts
1928 upvotes
Toronto
Costco's return policy is 30 days. There's just the gentleman's agreement that in legitimate cases, the policy will be waived. They have to have the policy otherwise they couldn't stop people from "borrowing" stuff. I don't see a problem with it at all... I'm confident that if I really do feel that I have a legitimate reason to return something after 6 months or more, they will be reasonable about it and not hide behind a policy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
212 upvotes
Surrey
Ardvark wrote: My husband returned an item to Costco today, because it was defective. It was a cordless phone that we've been having issues with for about six months. The problems started about a year after we purchased the phone, so we figured it was the rechargeable battery. Replaced batteries, still the same problems.

Costco employee at the service desk told my husband that their policy is to only accept returns up only while the manufacturer's warranty is valid, and she is unable to give him a refund.

So why didn't you contact the manufacturer and ask them to follow up on their warranty?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
I think you should change the title of your thread because its mis-leading. Electronics is 90 days. Cordless Phone is in their electronics section is it not?

Just because they were nice and actually did the return which they didn't have to do.... and your still complaining?

:facepalm:
Banned
User avatar
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
Ardvark wrote: My husband returned an item to Costco today, because it was defective. It was a cordless phone that we've been having issues with for about six months.

My husband pointed at the sign in the warehouse which read (may not be word for word) Items returned to customers satisfactions, except electronics (which have the 90 day return).

Did you even read what you typed before posting?
Jr. Member
Jan 5, 2008
179 posts
7 upvotes
New Westminster
Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell and will refund your purchase price, with the following exceptions:

1. Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPod®/MP3 players and cellular phones and other products identified by Costco from time to time.

2. Diamonds: When returning items containing a 1.00 ct diamond or larger, Costco will require additional time to verify the diamond, in which case a refund will be approved upon positive verification. This process may require two to five business days.

* Costco may in the future restrict its return policy regarding other products. Restriction will be shown at the point of purchase.

* We ask that you return all other merchandise within 30 days with a Costco receipt and in the original packaging.


I don't see anything about phones being limited to 90 days, unless it was specified when you bought it, should be returnable for 2 years based on costco doubling the manufacturers warranty.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2010
3348 posts
1257 upvotes
Brampton
Scott84 wrote: I think you should change the title of your thread because its mis-leading. Electronics is 90 days. Cordless Phone is in their electronics section is it not?

Just because they were nice and actually did the return which they didn't have to do.... and your still complaining?

:facepalm:

+1
heck, browse thru their website and the phones are under electronics
nada
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 25, 2004
3836 posts
422 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Scott84 wrote: I think you should change the title of your thread because its mis-leading. Electronics is 90 days. Cordless Phone is in their electronics section is it not?

Just because they were nice and actually did the return which they didn't have to do.... and your still complaining?

:facepalm:

+1

If anything, this should be a thread thanking Costco for not having a consistent return policy.
Jr. Member
Mar 17, 2009
181 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
Jump145 wrote: I don't see anything about phones being limited to 90 days, unless it was specified when you bought it, should be returnable for 2 years based on costco doubling the manufacturers warranty.


Costco doubling the manufacturer's warranty does not mean they will take it back up to two years. It is still 90 days return.

I had a PC that had problems after 90 days. I had to go through the costco "concierge" program wherein the PC got sent back to HP for repairs.
Jr. Member
Jan 5, 2008
179 posts
7 upvotes
New Westminster
I think you need to re-read that policy again, its states which specific electronics are limited to 90 days return.

I haven't had any problems with returns of defective electronics well over a year after purchase, but admittedly it's been a couple years since I've needed to return a defective item outside of 90 days.

I have returned both a ps3 and a Wii that were defective more than a year after purchase though.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
24960 posts
4198 upvotes
Jump145 wrote: I think you need to re-read that policy again, its states which specific electronics are limited to 90 days return.

I haven't had any problems with returns of defective electronics well over a year after purchase, but admittedly it's been a couple years since I've needed to return a defective item outside of 90 days.

I have returned both a ps3 and a Wii that were defective more than a year after purchase though.

And people wonder why stores are all being restrictive with their return policies these days. It won't be long before Costco will have the same return policy as FS and BB due to people abusing the current return policy.

Top