Shopping Discussion

Costco Employees b.s.'ing about Costco return policy

Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2009
1235 posts
139 upvotes
Montreal
Ardvark wrote: I am not arguing if we should have taken something back 18 months after purchasing it, that is subjective and everyone's opinion will vary.
You don't want to discuss it, but that seems to be the elephant in the room here. Opinions *shouldn't* vary. I get the sense many RFDers rely on Costco's overly generous policy as the mother they never had. "Well if **** breaks, it's someone else's problem...and I'll get new ****!"

If you have to think about it, you're in the wrong.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18298 posts
2162 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm not a fan when I see Costco & Return in the thread title.

Once again, a member pushed and had no choice to allow the return.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jan 5, 2008
179 posts
7 upvotes
New Westminster
easterclause wrote: You don't want to discuss it, but that seems to be the elephant in the room here. Opinions *shouldn't* vary. I get the sense many RFDers rely on Costco's overly generous policy as the mother they never had. "Well if **** breaks, it's someone else's problem...and I'll get new ****!"

If you have to think about it, you're in the wrong.

So what you're saying is even if a retailer has a policy we should avoid using it? why? so you will be able to when you need to?

Should people not price match as well?, what about SCOP?

It's not taking the high road to throw something in the garbage, or deal with the manufacturer, when the retailer has a policy of handling warranty claims in-store. They don't handle all warranty claims in store, but some items they do, and we pay a membership fee for that great service.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7768 posts
1486 upvotes
Jump145 wrote: I think you need to re-read that policy again, its states which specific electronics are limited to 90 days return.

I haven't had any problems with returns of defective electronics well over a year after purchase, but admittedly it's been a couple years since I've needed to return a defective item outside of 90 days.

I have returned both a ps3 and a Wii that were defective more than a year after purchase though.

OK so ..if you think it doesn't fall under electronics, than it should fall under the "all other merchandise within 30 days with a Costco receipt and in the original packaging." right?

Again like other member have said, 2 year warranty != 2 year return policy.
And also, I thought the 2 year warranty only applies to TVs and Projectors and computers??
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6448 posts
1093 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Ardvark wrote: My husband returned an item to Costco today, because it was defective. It was a cordless phone that we've been having issues with for about six months. The problems started about a year after we purchased the phone, so we figured it was the rechargeable battery. Replaced batteries, still the same problems.

Costco employee at the service desk told my husband that their policy is to only accept returns up only while the manufacturer's warranty is valid, and she is unable to give him a refund.

My husband asked to speak with a Manager, who told him essentially the same thing. My husband pointed at the sign in the warehouse which read (may not be word for word) Items returned to customers satisfactions, except electronics (which have the 90 day return).

My husband asked the first Manager for a copy of their return policy. His reply was that it's on the membership sign up form.... my husband asked for a copy of the sign up form, and it actually says:

"We ask that you return it in it's original packaging within 30 days"

My husband then asked to speak with the Store Manager, who accepted the return.

It appears to me that Costco does not have a return policy, save for the clear 90 days on electronics. I am not arguing if we should have taken something back 18 months after purchasing it, that is subjective and everyone's opinion will vary. My concern is Costco Employees not knowing, or perhaps being dishonest about, or being mis-lead about their store's return policies, or lack thereof.

I don't actually even mind if there is no return policy, but I dislike being TOLD they have a return policy when indeed it appears they do not.

Has anyone here ever read an official copy of Costco's return policy?

To quickly answer this, Costco's return policy has been thoroughly analysed in this very forum many many times before. A previous post has already stated Costco's official policy, which is basically 90 days for the electronics listed, and pretty much no limit for anything else. The "30 days" clause is not new nor it seemed to be actually enforced. It's more like a "nice if you follow it but doesn't really matter if you don't" sort of thing.

Still returning something after a year is really taking advantage of the system. In the end you did get your refund so no need to complain. Try this at any other store and see what happens.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8316 posts
1429 upvotes
Did OP just complain about getting good customer service at Costco??
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
I am anxiously waiting the return of the OP to this thread so that they can admit how foolish their post is.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
Jump145 wrote: So what you're saying is even if a retailer has a policy we should avoid using it? why? so you will be able to when you need to?

Should people not price match as well?, what about SCOP?
Not at all. We're saying just because it's there doesn't mean you need to abuse it. There's a fine line between using a policy and abusing a policy. When the policy is clearly stated, and your issue falls within this policy then by all means use it. If the policy states 90 days and 180 days later you get into a hissy fit/tantrum until they please you like a primadonna princess then you're abusing the policy.

Blvck_Scvle wrote: I am anxiously waiting the return of the OP to this thread so that they can admit how foolish their post is.
Like that ever happens on here! :razz:
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
274 upvotes
Here
Sounds like they knew exactly what the return policy was. It was the managers decision to let it slide and give you a return after a year and a half which is probably something a regular employee wouldn't have the authority to do. You should be thanking them!
Jun 4, 2008
353 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
thrifthunter wrote: Sounds like they knew exactly what the return policy was. It was the managers decision to let it slide and give you a return after a year and a half which is probably something a regular employee wouldn't have the authority to do. You should be thanking them!
Agreed.

This thread is a waste of time and space.
Dec 20, 2007
603 posts
47 upvotes
This situation is pretty clear in my mind: you are trying to abuse the generous return policy. Its not designed to provide a lifetime of warranty on all products. You were clearly outside the manufacturers warranty which means you've had it for quite some time. Costco would go out of business if every customer acted like you did. I had a clothing steamer that flat out stopped working after 2 years. I did not return it and just accepted because it was a lower end model (compared to commercial models) that it would need to eventually be replaced. Costco should have refused the return
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7594 posts
1087 upvotes
Toronto
Ardvark wrote: ....
I don't actually even mind if there is no return policy, but I dislike being TOLD they have a return policy when indeed it appears they do not.

Has anyone here ever read an official copy of Costco's return policy?

Yes, I dont mind if there is no return policy either, retailers in NA are generous enough to extend consumers an option to change their mind for seomthing they have bought.

I dont really like it though as alot of people abuse it and we all eventuall pay for it in the end. Im not to say I havent returned something i didnt like, which i have done.

Your question of asking has anyone every read Costco's return policy? LOL
Apparently you havent. Like others have said, 90 days for electronics and everything else is 30 days. Its printed in black in white while you are lining up at the customer service desk.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
2840 posts
979 upvotes
Lethbridge
No “BS’ing” here from Costco – Only yours OP.

You know why it got returned? Because the store manager has bigger things to deal with than argue with you about your phone, so he made you happy, over-rode the system and got you out of his store to avoid wasting more of his employees time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7877 posts
1471 upvotes
Burnaby
Rated 1 star for misleading title and poor behaviour
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4333 posts
550 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Wow another consumer on bandwagon with false information and hopes.

At least you got it returned.