Shopping Discussion

Costco Employees b.s.'ing about Costco return policy

Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2008
1441 posts
25 upvotes
Ardvark wrote: My husband pointed at the sign in the warehouse which read (may not be word for word) Items returned to customers satisfactions, except electronics (which have the 90 day return).
OP, it sounds to me, and many other people in this thread apparently, that you should be saying, "wow, I pushed and pushed and Costco accepted an item way past the return policy, lucky me" instead of crying foul. The store probably didn't want to hear you complaining anymore, and thats the sad truth.

As soon as your husband pointed out that electronics have the 90 days I would have said thanks for seeing that and denied the return. Since you CLEARLY saw what the policy was!
Dec 31, 2007
432 posts
109 upvotes
Shaner wrote: And people wonder why stores are all being restrictive with their return policies these days. It won't be long before Costco will have the same return policy as FS and BB due to people abusing the current return policy.

+1000000
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2006
1704 posts
21 upvotes
Oakville
OP, i think you should call them and tell them to compensate you for the phone breaking on you after 18mths, the return isnt enough.

what costco location is this?
Sep 6, 2004
510 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with everyone on here in that Costco is not at fault in this situation. Your husband pointed out the 90 day return policy in the store for electronics, but yet did not think that the phones he was returning was an electronic item? Strange.

Also, you've had the phone for 18 months now and still expect Costco to refund it? It seems that all common sense has been lost; Costco was clearly in the right in this situation to refuse the refund initially.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Jump145 wrote: Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell and will refund your purchase price, with the following exceptions:

1. Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPod®/MP3 players and cellular phones and other products identified by Costco from time to time.

2. Diamonds: When returning items containing a 1.00 ct diamond or larger, Costco will require additional time to verify the diamond, in which case a refund will be approved upon positive verification. This process may require two to five business days.

* Costco may in the future restrict its return policy regarding other products. Restriction will be shown at the point of purchase.

* We ask that you return all other merchandise within 30 days with a Costco receipt and in the original packaging.

I don't see anything about phones being limited to 90 days, unless it was specified when you bought it, should be returnable for 2 years based on costco doubling the manufacturers warranty.
Jump145 wrote: I think you need to re-read that policy again, its states which specific electronics are limited to 90 days return.

I haven't had any problems with returns of defective electronics well over a year after purchase, but admittedly it's been a couple years since I've needed to return a defective item outside of 90 days.

I have returned both a ps3 and a Wii that were defective more than a year after purchase though.

Items with 90 day returns are not exclusive to what is listed there. If you read the bolded text you will see that there can be other items included.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4100 posts
113 upvotes
Tahsis
* Costco may in the future restrict its return policy regarding other products. Restriction will be shown at the point of purchase.

So if it doesn't say 30 days on the receipt?

I bought a PS3 recently and they said it was not a selected electronic item and was returnable at any time for any reason. I checked at the returns desk before purchase with the manager. The 30 days is a request, not a condition.

I say take advantage of Costco's policies while they're in effect. If they change, they change.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3182 posts
864 upvotes
Mississauga
Thread title should be changed to "How my husband B.S.'ed Costco employees"
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
I'm not sure what required more nerve, trying to return a phone after 18 months or writing here to complain about Costco actually allowing the return. Sorry the only one BSing here is you OP.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4334 posts
551 upvotes
Messed Up Area
I think the OP should cancel his membership and get the refund as not happy.

Damn using a phone for 6 months and not happy then trying this after 18 months. 1st 12 months great, then use defective phone 6 months then try and pull refund, or was he looking for non-stock so gets $ back versus replacement.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9094 posts
3901 upvotes
Toronto
as heard in the line-up of a T & T grocery store...

"I have returned half eaten products to Costco and Costco refunded my money.. even if the product was bought about two years ago..."
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
1223 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
I guess the OP isn't going to reply to any of this.

Costco goes the extra mile to accomodate this customer and he goes on the internet and tries to blast them. He failed to the utmost degree.

It's hard to find great customer service consistently at chains, and costco has been very consistent at keeping customer service good. They aren't perfect, but they are much better than the competition.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3657 posts
1134 upvotes
Montreal
Shaner wrote: And people wonder why stores are all being restrictive with their return policies these days. It won't be long before Costco will have the same return policy as FS and BB due to people abusing the current return policy.

They already did.

I used to be a costco member 10 years ago. Costco offered 4 years extra warranty on their cameras & electronics (total of 5 years) Then a bunch of people abusing the policy by buying & returning yearly - eventually returned the products after a few years of use.

Today is only 1 extra year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5776 posts
1295 upvotes
Pochacco wrote: as heard in the line-up of a T & T grocery store...

"I have returned half eaten products to Costco and Costco refunded my money.. even if the product was bought about two years ago..."

Unfortunately, this is true. The Costco that I frequent is located close to a bunch of new, higher-end neighborhoods, but there's a LOT of abuse of the policy. I guess some people feel they need to get $55 worth of value from their membership fee.

Yes, I've seen a roasted chicken with the legs and a large part of the breast eaten, wings with big bites taken out of it, portable AC units returned in September, bikes returned in September, old magazines and an old TUBE tv, all within the last year.

People suck sometimes. :( :confused: :mad: :facepalm:
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4113 upvotes
Ottawa
OP you've been here EVERY single day (posting every day) since you made this post, how about you admit your husband was wrong and a BS'er to Costco employees, you were wrong for backing him up, change the title of this thread and publicly apologize to costco on this forum.

Oh wait that's right it takes a mature person to admit they were completely out of line and dead wrong.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2568 posts
138 upvotes
this thread should just be deleted. OP'er is obviously the only person who is misinformed.