Shopping Discussion

Costco Employees b.s.'ing about Costco return policy

Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19200 posts
1692 upvotes
Shaner wrote: And people wonder why stores are all being restrictive with their return policies these days. It won't be long before Costco will have the same return policy as FS and BB due to people abusing the current return policy.

This is not an abuse of the policy. OP said phone is defective. Item does not fall under the "electronics" categories**, therefore OP should get a return.

If I was the OP I would just call Costco corporate, they will rectify the situation. The manager should not have denied this return, he is in the wrong.

**We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones.


Surprised so many people are coming out against the OP when this Costco manager is very clearly at fault.

Part of the reason you pay a membership at Costco is so that you can return an item when it breaks instead of having to go through the manufacturer warranty hassle. If that benefit is revoked then really there is little reason to purchase memberships anymore, their prices are not very good nowadays anyway.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Banned
Nov 21, 2010
310 posts
48 upvotes
u got the refund that u are not suppose to get, and u are still complaining? what for ?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 11, 2005
19200 posts
1692 upvotes
eyelessluz wrote: u got the refund that u are not suppose to get, and u are still complaining? what for ?

She's complaining that the associate at that Costco is poorly trained, and rightly so.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2010
288 posts
66 upvotes
brunes wrote: She's complaining that the associate at that Costco is poorly trained, and rightly so.
Either you're joking or you can't read.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1256 upvotes
Sauga
brunes wrote: Part of the reason you pay a membership at Costco is so that you can return an item when it breaks instead of having to go through the manufacturer warranty hassle.
That is exactly what the service desk employee and the manager implied -- if it was under warranty, they would have accepted the return. That's what most of us understand the Costco return policy to be, even if they don't state it explicitly.

But the phone was 18 months old and no longer under warranty... So what Costco did in this situation is pretty much what most people would expect.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
brunes wrote: This is not an abuse of the policy. OP said phone is defective. Item does not fall under the "electronics" categories**, therefore OP should get a return.

If I was the OP I would just call Costco corporate, they will rectify the situation. The manager should not have denied this return, he is in the wrong.

**We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones.


Surprised so many people are coming out against the OP when this Costco manager is very clearly at fault.

Part of the reason you pay a membership at Costco is so that you can return an item when it breaks instead of having to go through the manufacturer warranty hassle. If that benefit is revoked then really there is little reason to purchase memberships anymore, their prices are not very good nowadays anyway.

I like how you distort the return policy to try and justify your position; now for the truth.

http://www.costco.ca/Service/FeaturePag ... o=10335081

1. Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPod®/MP3 players and cellular phones and other products identified by Costco from time to time.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 23, 2005
5980 posts
150 upvotes
Rehan wrote: That is exactly what the service desk employee and the manager implied -- if it was under warranty, they would have accepted the return. That's what most of us understand the Costco return policy to be, even if they don't state it explicitly.

But the phone was 18 months old and no longer under warranty... So what Costco did in this situation is pretty much what most people would expect.

lol.. +1

if what brunes said was correct, I"ll buy everything from costco going forward and when any of them goes defective after 239047 months, i'll just ask for a refund.
images are not permitted in sigs
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4100 posts
113 upvotes
Tahsis
spf1971 wrote: I like how you distort the return policy to try and justify your position; now for the truth.

http://www.costco.ca/Service/FeaturePag ... o=10335081

1. Electronics: Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPod®/MP3 players and cellular phones and other products identified by Costco from time to time.

And when have they identified cordless phones as "other products" ?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2001
3785 posts
269 upvotes
Kitchener
[QUOTE]Costco may in the future restrict its return policy regarding other products. Restriction will be shown at the point of purchase.[/QUOTE]

Lol.
I keep getting this BS from Costco CSR's , they always says this is the last time :) and I agree while counting the money :)

It is not worth getting irritated, it is not worth it.... Wish everyone happiness, and you yourself will be happy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
rommelrommel wrote: And when have they identified cordless phones as "other products" ?

They told the Op that it was an electronic device so obviously they have identified it as such. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
10203 posts
647 upvotes
Mississauga
For anyone that thinks a cordless phone isn't an electronic device, please jump off a cliff. We have too many people on Earth as it is. Better start getting rid of the idiots first...
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
274 upvotes
Here
rommelrommel wrote: And when have they identified cordless phones as "other products" ?

Even if you want to argue that a cordless phone doesn't fall under electronics, then it would fall under this part of their return policy:

We ask that you return all other merchandise within 30 days with a Costco receipt and in the original packaging.


So either way, whether it is 90 days or 30 days, the op brought it back after like 550 days! lol
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
274 upvotes
Here
Oh and not only that, but if you go to their website, you will clearly see phones listed under electronics. When you click you will see cordless phones. And if you go into their store, you will see cordless phones stocked in the electronics area. I don't see how anybody can have any doubt that a cordless phone will fall under their electronics return policy..
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
brunes wrote: If I was the OP I would just call Costco corporate, they will rectify the situation. The manager should not have denied this return, he is in the wrong.
Yes, the OP should call corporate because they should not have received their money back.
brunes wrote: Surprised so many people are coming out against the OP when this Costco manager is very clearly at fault.
Agreed, the manager should never have given in to them.
brunes wrote: Part of the reason you pay a membership at Costco is so that you can return an item when it breaks instead of having to go through the manufacturer warranty hassle. If that benefit is revoked then really there is little reason to purchase memberships anymore, their prices are not very good nowadays anyway.
Costco began providing warranty service because they sold a lot of grey market products (electronics) that would not otherwise have warranty coverage. I did not join Costco for warranty coverage, I joined to buy items at wholesale prices. It wasn't even until I joined RFD and started hearing of people bragging about abusing Costco's return policies that I even realized this was possible because it would never have dawned on me to return something that broke after a month of use, let alone 18 months. In 20 years as a Costco member, I have never returned a defective product nor have I needed to. Unless it comes out of the box broken, you should be dealing with the manufacturer not the retailer.

I have an 8 year cordless phone set that I bought at Sams Club in the US, that will no longer charge despite changing the batteries. Based on your logic, should I be able to return it? I guess I should have bought it at Costco but it wasn't available in Canada when I purchased it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21158 posts
2495 upvotes
Toronto
rf134a wrote: Yes, I've seen a roasted chicken with the legs and a large part of the breast eaten, wings with big bites taken out of it, portable AC units returned in September, bikes returned in September, old magazines and an old TUBE tv, all within the last year.

People suck sometimes. :( :confused: :mad: :facepalm:
+2....I also saw this when I was returning an item that I bought from Costco.ca online...

Lady in front of me was returning a carton of grape tomatoes...it was half empty....clearly she used half of the carton for something before returning (the tomatoes looked fine)...but Costco accepted the return. I chatted up with the rep and she had other crazy stories of returns...worse was an almost gone eaten cake and they complained it was "too sweet"....but people at a party ate it up and they could only return the small portion left...wtf...

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer tried to return half eaten fruit and eventually got banned from the store....LOL......

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0

Top