Hot Deals

Costco

Entry level hot tub. 6 Person / 45 Jet $4999.99 (Reg $5999.99) Until DEC 18 2022

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2022 8:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1194 posts
5555 upvotes
Vancouver Island

[Costco] Entry level hot tub. 6 Person / 45 Jet $4999.99 (Reg $5999.99) Until DEC 18 2022

https://www.costco.ca/aquaterra-monteci ... 15213.html

On sale for $4,999.99 (Reg $ 5,999.99 )

This is an entry level SPA for 6 people (if you are 3 feet tall) so let's call it a 4 person tub if you don't want to play Footsies.

We purchased a Costco Hot Tub (Aruba Spa) about 20 years ago and it was Fantastic.

SPA was $4000

Installation:
- Electrician was $700 (For a special breaker, electric cable, hookup and permit)
(in BC Electricians are supposed to run a permit for all installation jobs with Technical Safety BC. You might also need a Municipal permit)

- 4 x (4"x4" x 8') Treated Lumber (To build a box) $150 (as we didn't want to get a concrete slab)

- Gravel $100

The Hottub was delivered on its side and 3 people were able to "Bring it down" horizontally. It does NOT need a water hookup as you fill it and drain it with a garden hose.

It was amazing, the first year I used it 4 times per day, then a bit less... after 8 years we used it 1X month.

Running costs (Outside in BC) were about $70 / month (Bromine + Electricity + Anti Scale. We didn't use other chemicals like PH, etc.)

The Cover was changed after a few years as it disintegrated ($200) and we had 2 Warranty service calls for minor issues with the ozonator and an element that corroded.

I would recommend a SPA if you can afford it and if you have the room.

WARNINGS:
- Although this is not stated, Costco does NOT accept returns for "installed" items. (I called Costco a few years ago and they confirmed there were no returns.)

New Picture.png
102 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 18, 2013
3870 posts
2151 upvotes
Canada
This will be perfect for when I bring my hot dates home after a night at the club.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1302 posts
422 upvotes
Do you have an upside down pineapple decoration around the tub while playing footsie.

seriously ty for operating costs. I need to setup my backyard first.
Jan 26, 2016
61 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Entry level? Do you have to get really good at using this hot tub before you can level up to Professional level tubs?
Mar 11, 2022
22 posts
63 upvotes
Bloom County
Pupsik27 wrote: Whoever buys plz DM me when you throw a party. My speedo is always ready.
Time Machine, then I'm in. I'll bring the Chernobly.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1302 posts
422 upvotes
OIPPursuit wrote: Entry level? Do you have to get really good at using this hot tub before you can level up to Professional level tubs?
well might not want to jump right into swim tubs.
Dec 17, 2009
558 posts
354 upvotes
IslandDeal wrote: https://www.costco.ca/aquaterra-monteci ... 15213.html

On sale for $4,999.99 (Reg $ 5,999.99 )

This is an entry level SPA for 6 people (if you are 3 feet tall) so let's call it a 4 person tub if you don't want to play Footsies.

We purchased a Costco Hot Tub (Aruba Spa) about 20 years ago and it was Fantastic.

SPA was $4000

Installation:
- Electrician was $700 (For a special breaker, electric cable, hookup and permit)
(in BC Electricians are supposed to run a permit for all installation jobs with Technical Safety BC. You might also need a Municipal permit)

- 4 x (4"x4" x 8') Treated Lumber (To build a box) $150 (as we didn't want to get a concrete slab)

- Gravel $100

The Hottub was delivered on its side and 3 people were able to "Bring it down" horizontally. It does NOT need a water hookup as you fill it and drain it with a garden hose.

It was amazing, the first year I used it 4 times per day, then a bit less... after 8 years we used it 1X month.

Running costs (Outside in BC) were about $70 / month (Bromine + Electricity + Anti Scale. We didn't use other chemicals like PH, etc.)

The Cover was changed after a few years as it disintegrated ($200) and we had 2 Warranty service calls for minor issues with the ozonator and an element that corroded.

I would recommend a SPA if you can afford it and if you have the room.

WARNINGS:
- Although this is not stated, Costco does NOT accept returns for "installed" items. (I called Costco a few years ago and they confirmed there were no returns.)

New Picture.png
That electricity cost will depend on how often you're using it. My electricity cost is like $20 when it's sitting idle for a month and then a dollar or two for chemicals.
Jan 6, 2011
439 posts
642 upvotes
toronto
entry level is the inflatable one
Last edited by pux420 on Dec 9th, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2005
467 posts
347 upvotes
North York
Just a fw things cuz I went through this in vaughan..

The bylaws says any above ground jacuzzi or swimspa needs a permit.. now don't get me wrong..people are doing this without it but if your neighbor doesn't like you ..

Secondly, I am not 100% sure but best to check if you need a concrete foundation on this... mine did as it was 12ft ..

Last but not least, you best to get a licensed electrician to install and run wires for you.. For insurance, I also recommended getting an inspection done with certificate

If you seriously don't think you need a license electrician and inspection, you better check with your home insurance... this is not to scare anyone but lots of people like to cut corners to save costs.. thrse are added costs that should be considered.

I'll breakdown what are the costs I've encountered when doing my backyard renovation

1) permit was about 515 paid to vaughan
2) grading drawing 250
3) electrician.. I can't recall.. but I was easily north of 3000 as I had cables run under my pavers about 18 feet to my swimspa. This included parts and labour.. the gage wires and gfi outlet was expensive.
4) inspection and certification was 250
5) concrete slab was marginal as I was doing my backyard so my contactor did it for me for $100 as he was already ripping my backyard up
Images
  • Screenshot_20221205_205500_Messages.jpg
  • Screenshot_20221205_210058_Chrome.jpg
Aug 29, 2011
155 posts
115 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Just my 2 cents. Buy a hot tub from someone who can also service it. A hot tub is rarely a one and done purchase.

Call around local dealers. Tell ‘em you have a 20 year old tub you need serviced. If they are willing to help give them a shot. If not keep looking.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44558 posts
7779 upvotes
MrDiscount wrote: Just a fw things cuz I went through this in vaughan..

The bylaws says any above ground jacuzzi or swimspa needs a permit.. now don't get me wrong..people are doing this without it but if your neighbor doesn't like you ..

Secondly, I am not 100% sure but best to check if you need a concrete foundation on this... mine did as it was 12ft ..

Last but not least, you best to get a licensed electrician to install and run wires for you.. For insurance, I also recommended getting an inspection done with certificate

If you seriously don't think you need a license electrician and inspection, you better check with your home insurance... this is not to scare anyone but lots of people like to cut corners to save costs.. thrse are added costs that should be considered.

I'll breakdown what are the costs I've encountered when doing my backyard renovation

1) permit was about 515 paid to vaughan
2) grading drawing 250
3) electrician.. I can't recall.. but I was easily north of 3000 as I had cables run under my pavers about 18 feet to my swimspa. This included parts and labour.. the gage wires and gfi outlet was expensive.
4) inspection and certification was 250
5) concrete slab was marginal as I was doing my backyard so my contactor did it for me for $100 as he was already ripping my backyard up
So all in cost was over $10,000 minimum? Including the cost of the hot tub?
Blanka
Sep 27, 2007
238 posts
233 upvotes
I keep changing my mind between a hot tub and a 15' swim spa. Most of the install related charges are the same, except if you need a crane, so why not go a bit bigger and have something alot more versatile
Jan 27, 2007
339 posts
81 upvotes
no mans land
Thanks OP for the detailed post.

I love hot tubs. They’re for adults while pools are for kids. Great for relaxation or pain or looking at the stars on a clear night. Much easier to maintain than pools because they essentially have a sealed cover. Also chemicals/water/heating are much cheaper since there’s less volume of water.

My favourite is using them in the colder months as they make winter more tolerable. Something to do outside while not freezing. I empty mine during the summer. Choose a location relatively close to your door. You’ll feel cold going into the tub, but coming out you’ll be so warm you won’t mind the walk back inside.

I like to keep my tub around 101F, maybe a degree or two warmer on really cold days (ex. minus 15C).

Also they are pretty easy to service if you’re handy. I replaced a capacitor on my board after some googling. I also removed the motor, bought the rebuild kit, dropped it off to a small engine guy who rebuilt it, and I reinstalled it. Only two issues after ~15 years of ownership. You can Winterize them yourself too if you want to skip a winter of use.
Last edited by meh_33333 on Dec 5th, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 30, 2005
467 posts
347 upvotes
North York
djemzine wrote: So all in cost was over $10,000 minimum? Including the cost of the hot tub?

Some people skip all what I said and did it the illegal and short cut way so up to your risk tolerance .. mine swim spa was about 24k plus so came close to 30k installed..

Also like other days, there's maintenance too... I run my all year and keep her about 37 in winter and 33 in summer... the heating cost is not bad ..I would say $3 a day ..chemical balancing is tricky at first and chemical costs is something you'll noticed more than the heating costs..

Ohhh I forgot you will need delivery .. the jaccuI here can probably get delivered with a truck and lots of strong people.. I had to use a crane delivery company and that was $1100.. now thi king about it, if I wasn't doing my backyard, I would have never done it but the kid and his cousins love it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2020
1194 posts
5555 upvotes
Vancouver Island
MrDiscount wrote: Some people skip all what I said and did it the illegal and short cut way so up to your risk tolerance .. mine swim spa was about 24k plus so came close to 30k installed..

Also like other days, there's maintenance too... I run my all year and keep her about 37 in winter and 33 in summer... the heating cost is not bad ..I would say $3 a day ..chemical balancing is tricky at first and chemical costs is something you'll noticed more than the heating costs..

Ohhh I forgot you will need delivery .. the jaccuI here can probably get delivered with a truck and lots of strong people.. I had to use a crane delivery company and that was $1100.. now thi king about it, if I wasn't doing my backyard, I would have never done it but the kid and his cousins love it
Thanks for sharing Djemzine ! Other than imbedded sound systems/TVs/Lights/Waterfalls, in your opinion, how do $20,000+ SPAs compare to this OP ?

If you had a lower budget, would you have gotten a $5,000 model or saved up for the high end model ?
Apr 30, 2008
92 posts
72 upvotes
Electrical without labor 100 ft away
Spa kit is 350 gfci
Main panel breaker 50-150
Wire 300 if basement open but 500 if closed
Outside wire 200 or so
Inspection 150 ?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1153 posts
2083 upvotes
Ontario
mixxfixx wrote: Just my 2 cents. Buy a hot tub from someone who can also service it. A hot tub is rarely a one and done purchase.

Call around local dealers. Tell ‘em you have a 20 year old tub you need serviced. If they are willing to help give them a shot. If not keep looking.
This is such an important point. Our house came with a swim spa from the old owner when we bought it. Worked great until it hit around 6 years old and we had $3k of repairs in one year. The brand of electronics pack used in the swim spa was from a company that only deals with "exclusive" dealers - of which there was one in our city of 300k people (and on top of that, all the staff that worked there were total d*cks to deal with). Prices were fixed astronomically high - we paid easily 2-3x more for parts as we would have had the tub had a more known brand of guts inside it. The repair guy said that most well-known spa pack brands are something you can walk into any pool or hot tub store and buy parts off the shelf for - none of this "exclusive dealer" crap that the brand inside our tub was using. Even other stores in town who "could order" the parts for me would admit that they had to order from that same dealer store and put their own markup on top and told me just to go order there directly.

We sold it after the repairs. Someday I'd love to put a more normal-sized tub in, and will shop based on my knowledge of having to do various repairs on one.
Dec 26, 2012
668 posts
614 upvotes
Hamilton
would this work if i just pigtail a wire from my jerk neighbours outdoor outlet? /s