• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2019 10:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1521 posts
244 upvotes

Costco Excelence Plus Warranty on Tablet

Does Costco’s Excellence Plus warranty allow me to return a malfunctioning product directly to Costco for a refund?

I made a claim on my MS Surface shortly after purchasing it due to a charging issue through Excellence Plus and received a replacement unit in exchange some time ago.

The same charging issue has now arisen again and while Excellence Plus was good in providing the initial warranty claim I’d much rather get a straight refund this time rather than going through the hassle of trouble shooting, and then sending the unit back and receiving another unit nearly a month later.

I’m also fairly dependant on this device day-to-day and waiting for a few weeks time is problematic whereas an in-store warehouse return would allow me to have it replaced relatively quickly.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2747 posts
1945 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
bobor wrote: Does Costco’s Excellence Plus warranty allow me to return a malfunctioning product directly to Costco for a refund?
You received documentation on the warranty when you got it, or at least would have received a link to said documentation.

Read the warranty T&C to get your answer, and to learn what your obligations are in the event of a warranty claim.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
If you’re within 90 days of purchase you can return it. If not then they won’t return it. The warranty is just to cover for parts, and troubleshoot services

After 90 days, it’s up to the partner vendor to decide if it’s defective. Costco then confirms the defect with the vendor and then they will make a one time exception.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3031 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AlyssiaP161592 wrote: If you’re within 90 days of purchase you can return it. If not then they won’t return it. The warranty is just to cover for parts, and troubleshoot services

After 90 days, it’s up to the partner vendor to decide if it’s defective. Costco then confirms the defect with the vendor and then they will make a one time exception.
This. The Warranty isn't administered by Costco, so once you're outside of the return policy they have no obligation for that to you.

It's now just between you and/or Assurion (or whoever is administering the Warranty) and/or the manufacturer.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15685 posts
4737 upvotes
London
Try calling the Costco concierge service for escalation
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3666 posts
2207 upvotes
Vancouver
First two years - You are dealing with MS and whatever MS policy is. Extended warranty has not started yet.

If you are in year 3-5, then you're dealing with Costco and there's a chance they will offer you a refund but it depends on the problem and how much it cost to fix the problem.
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
If he’s past 90 days, Costco won’t even touch it. It’s not our problem
Paigne wrote: First two years - You are dealing with MS and whatever MS policy is. Extended warranty has not started yet.

If you are in year 3-5, then you're dealing with Costco and there's a chance they will offer you a refund but it depends on the problem and how much it cost to fix the problem.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3666 posts
2207 upvotes
Vancouver
AlyssiaP161592 wrote: If he’s past 90 days, Costco won’t even touch it. It’s not our problem
Costco will respond if you have issue with warranty services... thats one benefit of costco membership. If you cant reach a resolution with manufactuer (unlikely with MS but there are cases with Haier, based on rfd threads) or insurance company (If insurance company cant fix the problem), costco does give full refund (lots of online examples but mostly for tvs).

Of course given how small the problem seems to be and MS being the manufacturer, odds are it will be a fix not a refund.
Mar 14, 2005
514 posts
159 upvotes
Just take it back to the store I see people returning old TVs and appliances and they get there money back. Give it a try.
Jun 4, 2015
44 posts
14 upvotes
We will respond.. but we just monitor the situation in case things go south.. but after 90 days we’re hesitant. The warehouse is a different issue because the only store and warehouse are two separate entities

Paigne wrote: Costco will respond if you have issue with warranty services... thats one benefit of costco membership. If you cant reach a resolution with manufactuer (unlikely with MS but there are cases with Haier, based on rfd threads) or insurance company (If insurance company cant fix the problem), costco does give full refund (lots of online examples but mostly for tvs).

Of course given how small the problem seems to be and MS being the manufacturer, odds are it will be a fix not a refund.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3254 posts
1086 upvotes
Woodbridge
I was just able to return a laptop I purchased 10 months ago. It was suffering from several different issues, including charging issues, progressively worse LED bleed, display connection issues, fan issues, and speaker issues. All concierge can do in the first year of warranty is to send it back to the manufacturer for service/refurbishing. I didn't really have a lot of confidence in the product anymore as I'd never had so many systems break down at roughly the same time. I requested that they approve a refund which they said that they are unable to do but they suggested I contact customer service online or speak to a store manager at a warehouse. I sent an online note and got a call back the next day that a note was placed on my account and the refund was approved. Returned it the next day to a warehouse.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1427 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
Does Costco warranty replace/fix tablets with cracks on them in the event from a drop free of charge?