• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 7:58 pm
[OP]
Feb 7, 2004
505 posts
184 upvotes
St Thomas

Costco extended TV warranty

I purchased a Vizio PQ65-F1 two months ago for our new place and will be mounting it above a gas fireplace being installed in a couple weeks. I’ve been thinking about purchasing the extended warranty but I have read about some manufacturers voiding warranty if used close to a heat source and don’t want to bother if it’ll be void anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced putting in a claim with Costco’s extended warranty while in a similar position. I read through the fine print but didn’t see anything mentioned specifically about fireplaces.
3 replies
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
Labrie wrote: I’ve been thinking about purchasing the extended warranty but I have read about some manufacturers voiding warranty if used close to a heat source and don’t want to bother if it’ll be void anyway.
Heat is a big issue with all electronics, but if your gas fireplace was too hot, you would have firebrick protection in the surround, then of course if you're suspending your TV in the firebrick, good luck keep those batteries fresh in your fire detectors. Otherwise I doubt there would be an issue (many people have this type of set-up) but it would be prudent to determine the levels of heat exposure (perhaps one of those $22 heat guns on Amazon) and if it exceeds 35C, change the fireplace or placement.

Regarding the extended warranty.... I shop for warranty first over price & features. Remember those xmas lights that blew out if only one bulb in the string dies, well a recent youtube of a Samsung repair shows what the modern LED flat panel is. One LED fails and the whole panel is junk, and heat and voltage is the main killer .

Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24739 posts
1874 upvotes
Markham, ON
so the manufacturer warranty is 1 year? ...get a cc with double warranty...so 2 year warranty on $2k TV.

why spend more on extended warranty?

the replacement value in 2 years is going to be like $400.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote: the replacement value in 2 years is going to be like $400.
Pretty optimistic as the trade wars loom; 5 years is better than a few when it comes to xmas tree lights in serial.